Take 2 - Adreas Preuninger and the GT3 996 Mk1

Following quote about Chris Harris comments on the 996 GT3 back in 2012 from PistonHead (UK) forum, pretty well sum up my thoughts:

What a strange argument: generally subsequent versions of a model are better - the manufacturer has time to improve on most aspects of the design with the benefit of time and customer feedback.

The something that Monkey can't put his finger on is the originality; the first of a breed; the raison d'etre of such a car. The Mk1 996 GT3 is such a beast:
- produced to homologate the model for GT racing.
- the last to be hand built by Porsche Motorsport rather than on the main 996 line.
- limited numbers.
- non-Americanised compromises - they are lower & meaner than the later cars.

So objectively - yes, Monkey is correct. But using this argument you'd simply buy a 997 GT3RS4.0 and be done with it, knowing that you had the best of a long model development. wink

However, subjectively and yes, romantically, you are wrong. They are bought, owned and cherished for what they are and what they represent. 

The bottom line is, any GT Porsche is a thing of greatness.

Come to think of it, that applies to any Porsche ...

There isn’t one that I’ve driven, front or rear engined, oil or water cooled, that I didn’t like (and I’ve driven a few ...).

Media commentators are all very well but the only thing about driving a Porsche that is truly important is how it makes you feel.

3 hours ago, GregDash said:

It probably doesn't mean much overall, but Matt Farah from the smoking tire (https://www.youtube.com/user/TheSmokingTire/videos) has just done a 5 part video at the LA Porsche centre highlighting Andreas' top 5 favourite Porsches, of which the 996 GT3 RS is apparently one.

Been posted elsewhere mate 👍