So what is this really? A 964 or a 993 or funny business?

withers

Sooooo

I've seen this online (hope nobody else has posted pics to it) and it looks like a 993, the VIN says its a 964, the steering wheel is 964 and the seller, whom I spoke to says its a strange car, one that he's not too sure how it came to look like this.

My question is.. would Porsche have built this car like this from the factory as some of the very first 993s to roll off the assembly line? ie a combo of 993 and 964 parts??

The dealer said he believes its original red on dark blue trim (yuk)... so I thought I'd ask the experts here! He seemed to be fairly knowledgeable as far as Porsches go, loves the marque and didn't try to sell me this car... in fact he said he doesn't think it has books and advised me to look for something else! He was happy to chat and seemed rather pleasant.

http://www.carsales....4]&sort=default

130055916.jpg?height=700&aspect=FitWithinNoPad&width=1050

i'd always beleive the VIN, it'd be weird for a 993 to have a 964 VIN.

although the panel gaps look way too good to be a swap of bits.

it seems too cheap for what it is (if it's a 993) does it have any accident history? that colour combination makes me think hong kong import (and i've heard horror stories of them sinking containers with cars in) to get them onto hong kong)

Guards look about right for a standard Carrera.

Only difference in the body is that it has Aero side skirts (or similar).

Theo

Saw this car at Lorkeks when searching cars for my brother in law, and l must say its pretty

Bad, heaps of crows feet in the paint work to start with and the rest is history.

Why would a company put its reptutation on the line like that is beyond me.

The 993 s will have the mod cons I think you are after.

This ones got lowish miles. It will be interesting to know if they are the real deal hollow spoke turbo twist wheels and also if they are the real deal turbo red calipers.

Easy to check it out as its in St Kilda.

I call import.

Single speaker option on doors is not Aussie delivered.

I believe all the Australian cars were upgrade stereo option.

I drove a 993 :wub: Auto this morning :D great car! it was a dealer one. I think from my experiences so far... the 964 or a 993 (doubt I can afford a good one tho) would be the ideal car for me.

I best be off, need to look under the sofa for spare change :P:rolleyes:

I was told once that HK cars spend much of their life in first gear as they have nowhere to go.......

Well at least 2nd,3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th will be in great nick!!!!

So begs the question. Why buy a 911 in Hong Kong if you can't drive the thing. Status?

I read in Octane Mag recently regarding 80s 911 turbo. Purchased by stock brokers as status symbols, and either promptly sold, or reversed through brick walls at high speed.

A 911 is not an alternative to a luxury mb or BMW. It is a sports car. So if people buy it for status, the effect must wear off pretty quickly

well.......I have a question.

Theo, mine has single speakers and a long door pocket - much like I have seen on a couple of UK cars (and the one Amanda saw here). Mine has stamped Porsche Sydney books and the VIN matches, but is true that all Aus cars had twin speakers ?

How to find the exact history of mine ?

Chris, until Theo pops in.. I'd imagine if you rang Porsche Melbourne and said you want to do a VIN check, Jason will look up your car and tell you where it came from, what state it was sold in and what options etc the car had on it when it came here. I'm also guessing, if your car was an import, they'll also tell you that.

Archived