Possible to register a car imported without Vehicle Import Approval?

Currently got my eye on another car (not Porsche) that was imported many years ago and set up for Tarmac Rallying and was on Rally rego for a bit.

The car was never complied and not sure if it came in with a VIA. Even though the car is a 91 and similar cars were imported from Japan, from what I am reading can never be registered here if it didn't have a VIA. Is that correct? 

Car has a full cage so would struggle to get even club reg. But thinking of options in that if I decided to sell down the track, even if I removed the cage I could never register it.

9 hours ago, Dalai said:

Currently got my eye on another car (not Porsche) that was imported many years ago and set up for Tarmac Rallying and was on Rally rego for a bit.

The car was never complied and not sure if it came in with a VIA. Even though the car is a 91 and similar cars were imported from Japan, from what I am reading can never be registered here if it didn't have a VIA. Is that correct? 

Car has a full cage so would struggle to get even club reg. But thinking of options in that if I decided to sell down the track, even if I removed the cage I could never register it.

Historic rego may be possible at 25 years old - but I’d be checking your state regs very very carefully. 

Admittedly I am not an expert but https://www.j-spec.com.au/info/Race-rally-imports.php has this to say:

If a car is intended for race or rally use (i.e. the car will not be registered for road use) and the owner importing the car can prove this (such as having participated in race/rally events previously) it is permitted for import. Under the Race/rally import rule there is no restriction on the model of car which can be imported or its condition (for example any modifications are ok).

To be eligible the importer must be able to prove that they have entered race/rally events previously and they must hold a current national level CAMS license that exceeds level 2 (a level L2S or L2NS Cams license is usually not high enough to get race/rally import approval, unless you have a lot of past track history). If you do not meet these requirements you cannot bring in a car for race/rally use.

Once in Australia race/rally imports can be used in any manner including stripping them for parts, however the chassis can never be complied or registered for normal road use.

Similarly https://prestigemotorsport.com.au/faqs/importing-cars-to-australia/ has this to say about race cars:

Virtually any vehicle can be imported for race use only providing you have a suitable CAMS license and can show a genuine need for the vehicle plus past motorsport participation.  If you are unsure whether you qualify you can query the Govt. directly. Include your reason for needing the car and your race history.
Vehicles imported this way can ONLY be used for racing and never road registered.

My reading of this seems to indicate that if a vehicle was imported into Australia as a race car it cannot ever be subsequently converted to a road registered car.

If it has been here and on Rally registration, then its got to have an import permit... compliance and import permit are very different things, without a permit, you essentially cannot physically get the vehicle in for any type of use (as parts is an exception) 

As above, if the purpose it was bought in under was "race or rally" I do not believe they can ever be registered... also check with your state as each one varies. 

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Looks like I need to do more digging on the VicRoads site plus get some more information from the seller as to how it was actually brought into the country.

It's only another MR2 Turbo hardtop, so not worth the expense of shipping it OS and back again with correct documentation. Just interested as it is set up exactly how I wanted to set up my MR2 Turbo before deciding mine was in too good condition to strip out and cage... As it was manufactured in 1991 it is over 25 years ago it's old enough for a club permit and would be great if I could also drive it on public roads too. 

Concern is if imported specifically for Rally/race only? Other than the full cage it is identical to my 92 Turbo, so if it came in with the right paperwork it could be road legal minus the cage unless there is more to this that I am missing?

Still could be a good track hack without being able to register, just more effort transporting.  Perhaps trailering is the better option anyway, as I only milked my poor blown MR2 till it completely died 4km from home on its maiden Winton outing...

Just heard back from the shop rebuilding my MR2 that after all this wait it may be finally finished by the end of this month! After all I have invested in the rebuild, cheaper to buy this car for sale than risk blowing the rebuild!  :unsure: