GT cars centre lock issue

Orange

Hi All,

I am trying to get a sense of the number of members who have premature centre lock failure or wear requiring replacement of their wheel hubs. These are expensive items and after only 10k total use (less than 2k track kms) I have to replace both rear hubs. A quick chat to friends with similar issues indicates that it is known about, and that Porsche's official response is to lay the problem at the feet of owners / workshops by indicating that the centre locks have not been correctly tightened. I consider this an inappropriate and insulting approach. Hubs are not cheap. 

My feeling is that if there are enough members throughout the Porsche community across the country with the same challenge then a joint approach might encourage a more sympathetic and sensible response from Porsche. 

They are a wear/replacement item.  Life can be extended if they are regularly serviced also as I understand (I had centre locks on my 997.2 turbo and was worried about this).

If Porsche's response is that the centre locks haven't been torqued to spec, are they the only one's that have serviced the car?  Or are they insinuating the tyre shop/ independent didn't follow the correct procedure?

There was a recall on the 997s done which is where they ended up from memory publishing service intervals (and a supplementary handbook / owners manual).  

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/730166-2010-gt3-cl-recall-a-new-recall.html

https://www.suncoastparts.com/category/997gt3cmaintADD8400.html

1 minute ago, 1q2w3e4r said:

They are a wear/replacement item.  Life can be extended if they are regularly serviced also as I understand (I had centre locks on my 997.2 turbo and was worried about this).

If Porsche's response is that the centre locks haven't been torqued to spec, are they the only one's that have serviced the car?  Or are they insinuating the tyre shop/ independent didn't follow the correct procedure?

Hi and thanks. Yes, the implication is that the independent are not performing the process correctly. As I have track wheels and tyres they are put on / taken off by my independent workshop team - one that is dedicated to Porsche, has warranty compliant service, and have many customers with GT cars. There is no doubt that they should be considered competent. The problem I have is that these are wearing prematurely. Porsche say that they need replacing after approx. 7k track kms, but it appears that they are failing well before this. A friend has done just 2500kms on track, and had one fail over the WE. 

7 hours ago, 1q2w3e4r said:

There was a recall on the 997s done which is where they ended up from memory publishing service intervals (and a supplementary handbook / owners manual).  

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/730166-2010-gt3-cl-recall-a-new-recall.html

https://www.suncoastparts.com/category/997gt3cmaintADD8400.html

According to the Sun Cost Parts site if tracked its only 4,200 miles (less than 7,000 kms) before the hubs need to be replaced

7,000km is a LOT of track days though?

what’s the replacement cost and what happens when they fail?

I just snapped 3 wheel studs on my Mazda track car, NFI how it happened so it’s not exclusive to centre locks!  Very lucky not to lose a wheel at 260 on the straight at PI 😬

8AB21742-2590-4865-8DE5-6573AFD4E3CA.jpeg

2 hours ago, Carrera28 said:

According to the Sun Cost Parts site if tracked its only 4,200 miles (less than 7,000 kms) before the hubs need to be replaced

Thanks for all this. Yes - as per the earlier notes I understand that 7,000kms track use requires a service and hub replacement. But my information and personal experience is that the problem is arising much earlier. I suspect that we are seeing a similar problem with the 991 GT cars to that reported with the 997 cars, resulting in the recall then. But ATM I cannot find much else on forums speaking to the problem, and hence my request to owners to see if there are others out there with a similar experience. Perhaps the issue is less marked, and occurring first in those customers who, like me, have dedicated track wheels and tyres that are changed for each event, and so are being taken on and off more regularly. 

@DJM - I am told that the replacement cost is about $1500 - per hub!! I have done only 10,000kms in total. About 1500kms max on the track. Right rear worn severely, and left rear slightly  better, but I have been advised to have both replaced. 

@Orange Have you considered putting your good road car hubs in a box for a later day and switching to the Cup car centre lock assembly? I know the 997 guys used to do this, as they were far more robust, and intended to for many more cycles of wheel removal/replacement... There is obviously an issue with the road car hubs yielding, further exacerbated by R&R of the CL nut which gives you the short lifecycle you are experiencing. 

6 hours ago, edgy said:

@Orange Have you considered putting your good road car hubs in a box for a later day and switching to the Cup car centre lock assembly? I know the 997 guys used to do this, as they were far more robust, and intended to for many more cycles of wheel removal/replacement... There is obviously an issue with the road car hubs yielding, further exacerbated by R&R of the CL nut which gives you the short lifecycle you are experiencing. 

Thanks - that's an interesting thoughts and I will investigate -  though as you say it does still the question over the OEM hubs for the car and why they are wearing / failing well before the indicated time from Porsche. 

• 2 months later...
On 09/02/2021 at 04:08, Carrera28 said:

Are you referring to Suncoast Parts in Florida, USA?

And is that what they are saying or are they relaying what Porsche says?

If that is what Porsche states, then it should be noted in the Sales Brochure and the Owner's Manual so that a buyer can make an informed decision, otherwise, they'd better be paying for it.

So far, my Centerlocks have only been installed by Porsche and then checked by the Porsche dealer during the pre-delivery inspection when the car was sold new. Other than that, they have never been off since initial factory installation. But I will be servicing them soon by cleaning and inspecting all surfaces and then re-lubing as necessary).

I would invest in a torque wrench. I have the C4D600F from Precision Instruments. I have this rule, nobody touches my cars or motorcycles.