Seat Regulations

T-Man

Thinking about swapping the seats out at some time in the future for some Recaros or the like.

Was discussing this last week and I was told that if I got a full race bucket then I would have to get the car engineered to become a two seater (I think) because the seat would not tilt. If however I was to put the ones where the seat back tilts then I'm ok.

Can anyone add anymore to this?

Hey T,

Unless you wanted to cough up for the 997 GT2 bucket which does fold forward. Spent any time in a bucket?! Holds you in place without doubt, but it ain't the comfiest! :blink::o:D Come for a spin in DEX sometime, all very good and well on the road up the mountain, but coming home you'll wish for a slightly more compliant recline! Just sayin'... I know once we get these ideas in our heads about what we want... but still. :P

Kerry

I actually do a bit of driving. The car is a weekender but I regularly put in a 2-3 hours at a time.

I'll have a look at some of the seats over the next few SMTs.

Yes Vas. That's the long term plan............911 hot rod!!

Thinking about swapping the seats out at some time in the future for some Recaros or the like.

Was discussing this last week and I was told that if I got a full race bucket then I would have to get the car engineered to become a two seater (I think) because the seat would not tilt. If however I was to put the ones where the seat back tilts then I'm ok.

Can anyone add anymore to this?

Theo,

that conversation re eng. certificate was with me. I dug deep on the Vicroads website and found that little gem.

Like the other guys suggested, if you're planning a full on track set-up maybe a fixed back is best. but for comfort on a longer drive go for a good recliner.

Here 'tis

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/PermitsModificationsAndDefects/Modifications/RemoveAddReplaceSeats.htm

I also discussed this with someone at Vicroads who explained that if the rear seat can't be easily accessed or exited from then it needs to be re-certified as a 2 seater and the rear seats removed. Similar to when a roll cage is fitted.

Yep, the conversation was with you Harvs. Now reading through that stuff, if you want to avoid an approval certificate you must use a seat that was offered as an option on that vehicle. Great.........more research.

I actually do a bit of driving. The car is a weekender but I regularly put in a 2-3 hours at a time.

I'll have a look at some of the seats over the next few SMTs.

Yes Vas. That's the long term plan............911 hot rod!!

That's how this guy started.

The slippery slope.

3ef106e06118c2e88ce28443f0959ef552f4476813583781011.jpg

Hi Theo,

An option may be to have bucket drivers side and sports recline other side.

As long as seats are ADR approved I can't see a problem. Also Recaro were option on various models.

Seat brackets are 3 levels of recline with sliders available and I have set mine to preference and have done a 1200km weekend no prob. You just have to be able to climb in and out (once in I don't want to get out ! ).

Like me you can't avoid fiddling.

Cheers,Mark.

Hi Theo,

An option may be to have bucket drivers side and sports recline other side.

As long as seats are ADR approved I can't see a problem. Also Recaro were option on various models.

Seat brackets are 3 levels of recline with sliders available and I have set mine to preference and have done a 1200km weekend no prob. You just have to be able to climb in and out (once in I don't want to get out ! ).

Like me you can't avoid fiddling.

Cheers,Mark.

A good and practical solution; I know 'cos that is what I ended up doing. GT3 bucket on driver's side - super comfortable and great for track days, and left the original recliner on the other side. However, if it is lightness/weight saving you are after, this solution does not do much.

Archived