Synthetic or Organic oil in your 996 ?

tomo

Tomo,

I assume by your reference to "organic" you mean what is commonly known as "mineral"?

I think you would be hard pressed to find a mineral oil or even a semi synthetic blend that meets the viscosity and the other specified category/classifications for your 996 so the answer has to be synthetic. 

2 hours ago, Merv said:

Mobil 1 in the 996 and LiquiMoly 10-W-60 (German, but available thru Repco) in the AC 3.2 Carrera, as recommended now by Porsche because of the higher temps they can reach in summer. 

Oil is like peoples preference for difference beers or Coke vs Pepsi...For me, I don;t like Mobil 1 as I've had issues with it with other cars (not this 996 but my old 996 turbo and track/weekend cars) when temps get on the high side or when used for extended running periods (long hwy journeys). On engine inspection, bearing wear was really high, hence the switch to Liqui Moly. 

But they seem to change the additive package country by country etc. so its really a personal preference / experience thing.

1 hour ago, 911CSR said:

Oil is like peoples preference for difference beers or Coke vs Pepsi...For me, I don;t like Mobil 1 as I've had issues with it with other cars (not this 996 but my old 996 turbo and track/weekend cars) when temps get on the high side or when used for extended running periods (long hwy journeys). On engine inspection, bearing wear was really high, hence the switch to Liqui Moly. 

But they seem to change the additive package country by country etc. so its really a personal preference / experience thing.

AS above, I do agree.  Mobil 1 is fine for the 996 in road use.  Track use on any car is a new ballpark.  On the air-cooled cars such as my 3.2 I use the recommended LiquMoly10W60 because of its higher temp rating (the "60"). I will probably switch the 996TT to LiquiMoly also at its next change.