356 on Shannons online auction

Merv

58 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Nup.  That is a Cabriolet with the Hardtop option.

43 minutes ago, 1q2w3e4r said:

Mine - I've got a Aust delivered 56 Coupe. 

Uhh hah... might be time to cash in then. 

1 hour ago, 1q2w3e4r said:

Probably be time to ring them when the auction is done to talk about the Coupe then.  But at 200 in with 200-250k in resto costs you've cost recovered anyway at sale time.

Interesting - so you think a restored but non matching numbers A cab, with Rudges, is a $400-450k car.  

The wheels (and separately - their restoration costs) aside, I can't see the value in this one. Almost every panel needs replacement. After a couple of years one, 'might' get the money back.

Hard to rationalise the frenzy around a barn find.

10 hours ago, OBRUT said:

Interesting - so you think a restored but non matching numbers A cab, with Rudges, is a $400-450k car.  

A non matching restored (paint and interior) and left to right conversion A speedster sold at one of their auctions a years back for $400+. 

They also moved a B Cab at 350k

With mine, I meant call around insurance valuation, not sale.  I don't necessarily agree that the prices make sense, but it is what it is I suppose (all around, not just the 356 market)

16 hours ago, OBRUT said:

I’ve got a bet running with @SM911  I’m at 180-200 and he’s at 200-210

It was always going to blow past the Shannon’s estimate, the wheels are probably worth 50!

I'm with SM911 - cabriolet - with hardtop and rudge wheels. I know that a rusty but driveable 356 Coupe sold 10 + years ago for 50K just for the wheels - the car effectively came free (but was fortunately restored). It might even go higher.

Reason does not enter into this .... for the right buyer, and remember it takes only 1.

No real comparison but cast your mind back to the blue 911E at the Melbourne auction . The consensus of the experts said low 200's - someone paid 300+ buyers premium.

Will watch with interest.

JR

I would want verification that the wheels on the Barn Find car were the originals.  If you look at them they have nuts and bolts around the centre hub.  All the originals I have seen are riveted. There does not seem to a definitive source regarding the number made, but they were available for some A and Speedster models. They were around $15kUS 10 years ago.

Nice history of Porsche wheels:

https://roadscholars.com/wheels-of-fortune-an-overview-of-rare-early-porsche-road-rims/

http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewtopic.php?t=26008

Or you can get 

http://www.sleepingbeauties.com.au/rudgewheel.html#

10 hours ago, rafikdous said:

buy the car, then try to sell each rudge for more than $50k each like this guy

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Porsche-356-Original-Carrera-GT-Wheel-Restored-date-stamped-11-58-1/163304702586

Bet my Ronal Pentas are rarer than them. I'll even throw in an extra 3 rims for $50k! 😁

Thing is you shell out $50k for the wheels, then you have to find the drums/hubs before you can put them on your car. The hubs are so rare that 356 guys resort to using period Merc SL hubs which shows you how much you have to sink into them before you can put them on your car! 

Be interesting to see what this ends up at!!

Steve

Image result for porsche 356 rudge hubs

24 minutes ago, rafikdous said:

I agree. You could buy a brilliant 356 cab for less money now so why bother going through the pain of restoring it for 5 years

All Porsches are going up/collectors item/covid tax/I know what I have/masochist/had the spare coin/is bored/an idiot/sold some jousting sticks/knows something we don't about future values...🤷‍♂️