Starting issue

rangiegaz

I'm having trouble with my ignition in my 1982 930 and wondered if others have also. When turning the key I have power to dash and radio etc. but when turning further nothing happens. I first thought ignition barrel , but I can hear the relay click , so I assume power is reaching that. It happened while I parked on the side of the road and was able to push start to get home and battery reads over 13 volts and doesn't change much when trying to start which rules out battery issues. Would this indicate knackered starter motor or solenoid problem ? Haven't put on hoist yet , but thought maybe there might be a common fault I should be investigating . 

Gary

1 hour ago, Merv said:

Battery no longer has the cranking amps?

Second getting the battery checked. I had similar just last December where my CTEK charger showed full (number of attempts prior it did show red on step 5 suggesting it wasn't holding charge). 

Other than allowing me to unlock the car and on one attempt get one feeble half chug of the starter I had nothing... Took it to my battery place and it showed 13 volts but then tested on another device confirmed my chargers warning. New battery and starts first try everytime.

2 hours ago, Dalai said:

Second getting the battery checked. I had similar just last December where my CTEK charger showed full (number of attempts prior it did show red on step 5 suggesting it wasn't holding charge). 

Other than allowing me to unlock the car and on one attempt get one feeble half chug of the starter I had nothing... Took it to my battery place and it showed 13 volts but then tested on another device confirmed my chargers warning. New battery and starts first try everytime.

First thing I tried was jump starting from another car,( Forgot to mention that) No not the problem, will check on hoist if power is getting to starter motor, then maybe go back to ignition switch.

1 minute ago, rangiegaz said:

First thing I tried was jump starting from another car,( Forgot to mention that) No not the problem, will check on hoist if power is getting to starter motor, then maybe go back to ignition switch.

If the battery CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) have dropped, jump starting won't tell you.

I third vote you should do a battery check. 

If you have collapsed or damaged cells in the battery it may show 13v but with no cranking capacity. Also if you try jump starting all you do is go through the faulty battery again and same problem. Don't over think this.  Drop in another battery or better take your battery to an autoelec and in 10 seconds he will tell you if yours has the cranking amps.  There are 100s of threads just like this and 95 percent are the battery or the earth.

Ever the doubting Thomas , I checked how long I've had the battery and it appears I've had it 10 years , but always on a battery tender. Tried another battery and away it went, so refitted original and also started, so appears even though terminals looked spotless , they weren't . Cleaned them and sprayed with WD 40, no more probs. The word Dickhead comes to mind, looking for bigger issues before checking the obvious. Thanks all for suggestions, a great forum to pick peoples brains and everyone keen to help.

Gary

Good outcome Gary. 10 years is amazing for a modern lead-acid battery.  Time to change it for reliability.  I wouldn't use WD40 on anything except as a release agent/penetrant as it goes sticky and can be problematic.  Some dielectric silicone grease is best for insulation on the outside of the nuts/bolts. https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/permatex-permatex-dielectric-grease-.33-oz/379868.html

The terminal contact surfaces should be clean.