PFA Facelift!

Kerry

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with you now Tekno.... will adjust but probs not till Tuesday as boffin has gone to NZ for the weekend! :blink::o:mellow:

ScreenShot2013-01-25at123938PM_zps3b01c0

Kerry

Yep, thats it. I was just thinking of posting a screenshot when i checked into this post first.

Very happy you are going to sort this, has been bugging me for a few days - thanks

+1

The other benefit is that it keeps peeps on the forum and therefore google ranks the forum higher.

Just in the interests of spreading good information, the amount of visitors a forum has bears no relation to search engine rankings for a specific term. Search engine rankings are a dark art and a closely guarded secret at places like google, but primarily rankings are derived from an aggregate of links to a site like this from other sites, where both the source page and linked page are closely aligned with the topic at hand.

Increasing ranks for PFA is most easily done by having good content that attracts links from other sites related to cars and Porsches in general. That comes down to the forum members posting good thread topics that others want to share around.

Just in the interests of spreading good information, the amount of visitors a forum has bears no relation to search engine rankings for a specific term. Search engine rankings are a dark art and a closely guarded secret at places like google, but primarily rankings are derived from an aggregate of links to a site like this from other sites, where both the source page and linked page are closely aligned with the topic at hand.

Increasing ranks for PFA is most easily done by having good content that attracts links from other sites related to cars and Porsches in general. That comes down to the forum members posting good thread topics that others want to share around.

Maybe I could have more clear by saying that links opening in a new page will give the benefit of keeping the existing page on PFA open.

Keeping the existing page on PFA open increases 'Time on Site'.

It is believed that 'time on site' is a google ranking factor and I have been told by other forum admin that this is a reason why links are opened in a new page.

http://rankexecutives.com/is-time-on-site-a-ranking-factor/

Time on site relates to using the back button to quickly return to the search results, which is taken as a quality marker, particularly if individuals click the link to ignore a site after returning quickly. If a person quickly returns froma a page after clicking through, then this is taken to mean they didnt find what they want, and thus the page they clicked to is lower quality and should be ranked lower. It's likely that there is a simple threshold - above x seconds and no return the the results page means the user found what they wanted. So keeping the tab open for 5 or 30 minutes isn't going to make a difference, because it's only a return to the search results page in a short timeframe that matters.

This is a different thing to whether a person onward navigates to another page (which the search-engine side of google is not supposed to be tracking). True, google may know that data through analytics, but they say they dont use analytics data as a ranking signal, except by observing data in aggregate to help them designs algorithms.

The reason time on site (as in keeping pages open indefinitely) is not a ranking factor is that it is too easy to game. Anything that can easily be spoofed is not used, which is why external links are so important, because it's very much harder to generate links from, say, the Porsche Australia website.

Opening new links in a new tab is a good idea, but isn't going to improve rankings.

FYI: I've given up on the separate Mobile Skin that I purchased.

We've been testing with it all day and quite frankly its not any better than the standard (new) skin in its mobile mode, so bugger it, it's gone!

We've solved the issue of the the paint brush sitting under the "Po" on the left hand side of the menu bar, and font size and contrast issues...  I can't find any other problems with it, however we don't have permanent access to an android tablet so let me know if there are still any major dramas... but I think we got them anyway!

As for phones... bottom line is that they are small screens, and we're never going to get a totally acceptable result. Either view on the default mobile skin (which is pox!), or use the standard "new" skin, and zoom. Sorry, best of a difficult situation.

Woop woop! Nearly cider-o'clock!

Kerry

Great work Kerry.. I've gotten used to the new format now and I really like it. I use my iPad Mini alot to view the forum and have no issues with it on there either.  All good from my end :)

I like the idea of becoming a contributing member to PFA by making a donation too. I think thats a brilliant idea!

10cm stickers also a brilliant idea too and patch for a hat/jacket cool too :)

EDIT:  I was wondering if I could like more stuff in a day tho??  :D  I hit my limit very quickly every day!

)

EDIT:  I was wondering if I could like more stuff in a day tho??  :D  I hit my limit very quickly every day!

Me too!

Haven't found a way to increase this yet, but I'll keep looking.

Thanks for your positive feedback, good things will come to those that wait! ;)

Kerry

Thanks everyone for your patience, overnight a fix has been written and a patch deployed!

YouTube clips once again up and running on tablets - wahoo! :rolleyes:

Can I suggest that you will benefit from clearing the cache and cookies in the settings of your tablet browser...

On an iPad this is achieved by going to SETTINGS / SAFARI / CLEAR COOKIES & DATA  as per below...

photo_zpsce0d2bcc.png

As for androids machines, unfortunately I don't know exactly where, but it shouldn't be too hard to find, any of you androids feel like posting directions please?!  :mellow:  :)

Cheers,

Kerry

Archived