PFA Facelift!

Kerry

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

COMMENTS:

Thanks one and all for the gracious comments with regard to the facelift. I really appreciate all the support.

It has been a far more time consuming process than I thought, but mostly because I have required the assistance of a very friendly boffin (and I have proved myself more of a hindrance than help!), as well as not wanting to close the forum whilst we made the changes.

Over the last couple of years I've had quite a few grumbles/complaints about the way the forum displays on tablets and iPads. I've attempted to resolve this with the new skin however now it appears too narrow for some. I'm going to suggest you just suck it and see for a few weeks, and see if your eyes/brain adjusts, but if it really annoys you, I left the original skin still in service so feel free to go back to the previous skin which can be selected at the bottom of any forum page under "Change Theme", and select "Porsche Forum" ("Porsche Forum Australia" is the new one. - see below)

ScreenShot2013-01-25at91129AM_zps2d37cd5

I have bought, and intend in implement, a specific tablet style skin template in the near future, and at which stage I will relook at the width issue.

As for font size, I'm happy to look at that when next in the guts...

Grey background and text... I'm not seeing it on my computers but as is witnessed here across the variety of screens, it does all look different with differing contrast levels... send me a screengrab of exactly what you're talking about and I'll happily look into it.

"

Can we get  the nav bar back on bottom of page ?

Porsche forum Australia>general chat>news   <<<this thing"

Again, not sure what we're talking about here...?

ScreenShot2013-01-25at91230AM_zps671bcf1

Tabs: when I click on a new link it opens within the same tab, I don't think this is a forum specified option, I think you can set your browser (firefox/explorer/safari etc) to open new tabs with any clicked link... does that answer that part?

As for stickers, yeah baby! The question is how big, and whether they get stuck on the outside, or from the inside... Having had some experience woith this I know that they look much better on the outside, but last much better on the in... and I thought about 10cms wide....thoughts?

I'm also looking into fabric badges that can be sewn onto your favourite driving jacket/cap/girdle etc, so stand by on that as well...

Kerry

Uncle... PM sent.

Steve P ...  Thanks so much for the kind offer, I will be setting up a store (with PayPal) on the site within the next couple of weeks, and I hadn't thought about it, but a "donation to the cause" option would be a great idea - cheers!

I'm also looking to have another go at advertising on the site with a rotating banner ad under the main header, similar to that which we trialed previously, but this time I'll be taking the bookings directly and negating the 1% profit I stood to make last time! LOL!

Stand by on that one as well...

Kerry

Hell NO J.J.!

No offence taken at all... I becoming more and more aware of the fact that the PFA occupies an intimate place in many member's life, and when it changes, it can be a bit of a shock. I do appreciate all feedback as there have indeed been things that I've missed along the way.... like telling people to view the new Facelift, and forgetting to make it the default skin! D'Oh! :rolleyes::D

Glad you like it pal, when are we going to see you out on a SMT?

Kerry

The light grey colour of the text in the sub title for a thread (in the forum list view) is too similar to the background colour. It is difficult to see. Also font size is a bit small for me as well. Otherwise, the fresh new look is great.

I'm with you now Tekno.... will adjust but probs not till Tuesday as boffin has gone to NZ for the weekend! :blink::o:mellow:

ScreenShot2013-01-25at123938PM_zps3b01c0

Kerry

COMMENTS:

Can we get  the nav bar back on bottom of page ?

Porsche forum Australia>general chat>news   <<<this thing"

Again, not sure what we're talking about here...?

Tabs: when I click on a new link it opens within the same tab, I don't think this is a forum specified option, I think you can set your browser (firefox/explorer/safari etc) to open new tabs with any clicked link... does that answer that part?

Kerry

This is the nav barpost-341-0-66784000-1359102086_thumb.jpg

It used to be on bottom too, and I miss it :)

all the forums I visit, links open in a new tab, except this one. I can right click and open in a new tab(so no prob from my POV) but the reason I mention this is that the theory is that a visitor clicks a link and is taken away from site and they may not come back but if it is in a new tab then they still have this forum open so  are more likely to  stay and explore. The suggestion is for your benefit and is just advice, and isn't a problem. I am just sharing what I have found after too many years of forum use  :)

peace

Cyberpunky

Don't know about the rest of you, but I've got the "paint brush" right on the "P" of "PORSCHE FORUM AUSTRALIA"

Tunga and T-Bob: Yeah, the paint brush is under the PO when you look at it on a tablet or phone or iPad, but hopefully not on full screen computer view. We've been unable to avoid this, or remedy it, but it won't be on the specific tablet/Ipad version when that comes online... Bear in mind that all the different browsers, crossed with, all the different platforms, represent the same information slightly differently! It isn't just one solution fits all, hence the amount of finessing we've had to do on what was supposed to be a "plug in and play" skin template.

Bruce: I went back to the old, old skin and I couldn't find it, but it is also subject to the software upgrade we made last week so...  bummer - its gone! Use the triangle you set-in-your-ways-old-bugger! ;)

Kerry

This is the nav barattachicon.giftoolbar.jpg

It used to be on bottom too, and I miss it :)

all the forums I visit, links open in a new tab, except this one. I can right click and open in a new tab(so no prob from my POV) but the reason I mention this is that the theory is that a visitor clicks a link and is taken away from site and they may not come back but if it is in a new tab then they still have this forum open so  are more likely to  stay and explore. The suggestion is for your benefit and is just advice, and isn't a problem. I am just sharing what I have found after too many years of forum use  :)

peace

Cyberpunky

+1

The other benefit is that it keeps peeps on the forum and therefore google ranks the forum higher.

Bruce: I went back to the old, old skin and I couldn't find it, but it is also subject to the software upgrade we made last week so...  bummer - its gone! Use the triangle you set-in-your-ways-old-bugger! ;)

Kerry

It is in old *skin* (PorscheForum) so I can just use that, but that would be a pity considering how nice you have fixed the place up lol

post-341-0-68566700-1359110423_thumb.jpg

Kerry,

I cannot sign in on my android tablet, each time I type in my user name and then try password the user name disappears and vise versa.

And I have noticed since I changed my user name to jimTT just recently (before PFA facelift) I can only log in with my previous user name James88 and not jimTT.

Jim

Archived