Wheel Spacers Help

Doish13

Hope someone can help. Have a SC with 16’s on and slightly lowered. The rear wheel sit inside the guard slightly abs looking for a more flush look to fill out the guards.

I know very little about spacers. Believe Porsche even sold these from factory / dealer (could be wrong).

where do you buy them? Is one brand better than the other? Any recommendations?

thank you

Heres a bit of info for you below.

Depends on which rear rim size you have (standard 7's or some 8's), yet most I've spoken to who have 8 inch rears go with 15-18mm hub centric spacers. They bolt straight on and you don't need longer studs, only extra wheel nuts. I have a 17mm I'm going to trial fit this weekend.

The 930 Turbo came out standard with spacers (22mm I think) yet SC's didn't, so they're legality is questionable, yet it would take a pretty clued up cop to defect you. I've not heard of any Porsche owner getting defected for spacers, yet there's always a first time I s'pose. 

Be an 'Outlaw' rebel, and do it anyway 👍😁

2 hours ago, Merv said:

At some point, is there an issue with extra stress on axle bearings Lee?

I couldn't telya Merv, though if you believe the internet, there is a possibility of bearing stress with the 50mm+ spacers like RWB's use.

I'm no mechanical engineer, but you'd think with some very long wheel studs, they would be the first thing to be under stress, which I s'pose would eventually lead to bearing problems

I think it’s more the leverage being the problem, not the weight.  It’s the reason wide rims that were widened out were banned...in NSW anyway.

Too many FC Holdens breaking wheel studs or pulling the centre out of the rim.

I suspect both as wheel/rim weight is part of the unsprung mass and increases the leverage I would have thought? I am never keen on thick spacers, tho' my Turbo has some from the factory but the rear axle is designed for them.

22 hours ago, LeeM said:

I couldn't telya Merv, though if you believe the internet, there is a possibility of bearing stress with the 50mm+ spacers like RWB's use.

I'm no mechanical engineer, but you'd think with some very long wheel studs, they would be the first thing to be under stress, which I s'pose would eventually lead to bearing problems

Well, RWB`s don`t use any spacers, and I read a while ago about engineering report (sort of) of using big (like 50+ mm) spacers and stress on the bearings, the idea is it is destroying your bearing but one could feel (hear) the problem on a relatively big mileage, like 50000+ km`s or so. In the case of Porsches esp on the air cooled ones - negligible 

On 19/05/2021 at 22:19, Doish13 said:

Hope someone can help. Have a SC with 16’s on and slightly lowered. The rear wheel sit inside the guard slightly abs looking for a more flush look to fill out the guards.

I know very little about spacers. Believe Porsche even sold these from factory / dealer (could be wrong).

thank you

FYI I have a pair of 10mm hub centric spacers laying around

On 19/05/2021 at 20:19, Doish13 said:

thank you

Not a porsche but on a another german mark I owned, I put on the next model up stock rims that were an inch bigger. I also put on aftermarket  spacers to fill the guards out. If you can't get porsche stamped spacers, based on my research, I went with H&R Trak spacers.  Mainly because german made and TUV approved and designed for modified suspensions.    Only problem is they will stick out intially as they are shiny.    

So I ran some hub centric spacers on my old x5 so I could fit some winter wheels a d tyres.  They were H&r and tuv approved.  Never had a single issue with driving many thousands of miles.  However they were a biatch to get off again as they really stick themselves onto the hubs.  

So I ran some hub centric spacers on my old x5 so I could fit some winter wheels a d tyres.  They were H&r and tuv approved.  Never had a single issue with driving many thousands of miles.  However they were a biatch to get off again as they really stick themselves onto the hubs.  

ps if you figure out good spacers for an sc with stock wheels I’m all ears.

On 20/05/2021 at 06:12, LeeM said:

Wheel bearings are discussed here. This guy is really good and has a slew of videos. And yes, he is an engineer.

Wheel Spacers & Adapters