993 headlights

ByronBayChris

Pulled the headlights on the Turbo during the week, cleaned the lenses as they were grey, put new brighter Osram globes in. Took all of fifteen minutes a side at most. Great result. Not as bright as HID conversions but good enough for a non daily driver, without needing to modify anything. Like the look of the HID conversions and looking forward to finding out how you go with it.

Osram globes that interesting, I note that HID bulbs are apparently illegal (?) as post 2006 ADR requirements are that they are self levelling..

My car came from WA and the paint, screen, and lights all show the result of sand blasting and golf..(another story). I am more interested in spending money on new lenses than HID.

What was the part number of the Osram globes?

Graeme

• 2 weeks later...

Au-Yt

Sorry to say but I still have not got around to fitting the HID lights.

Had a short stint in SIngapore which has kept going and my weekends back home prior to flying back has been with the family. Hoping to stay behind till the Grand Prix and then come home "permanently" at which point I will definitely have a shot at fitting the lights.

Alright guys - spare 3 hours on Saturday night is what it took to install the Bergville HID kit. May be a cliche but in this instance, never more apt - "the difference was night and day". Definitely worth it and most things seemed straight forward.

In terms of the install, given my cars age, I did need to do a few things (all explained in the Bergville Install Guide) - file away the 0.3mm needed to fit the bulb + drill through the lid to attach the transformer. Newer models may not have these issues.

The hardest bit was placing the headlights upside down whilst drilling to reduce the chances of the filings falling into the cavity. As my prior postings may have alluded to, whilst it took me 3 hours, someone more DIY inclined may take a third of the time.

One failing on my part was not getting the correct alignment for the headlights prior to installing the new bulbs. The Install Guide did recommend this. Hence i am now doing a trial and error re-alignment. Once that is done, I will take some pics. Otherwise you will just see a bright blinding slodge as per the pics I took.

In summary, get it if you want to "see the light" (you were warned about the cliches!)

More puns ...I see the light... I am waiting for new lenses first as mine are beyond redemption.

I have checked the setup of my units feb 97 and it should be a bolt in. Your note about the alignment was very helpful.

I will order a set...

• 4 weeks later...

Fitted the T lights today fairly straight forward I also fitted new lenses and fog light units.

What a huge difference. The old lenses were literally sandblasted and quite opaque to the point they looked cloudy.

The T lights only get 8/10. The kit is very well made however I had to change the bayonet connector to a larger size also the wires from the ballast to the globe connector could be an inch longer so they can be tucked more out of the way.

I think they  interfere with the electrical headlight light adjuster. and as for aligning the lights before hand just as easy to do afterwards

The new lenses and lights really freshen up the car and the bonus I will be able to see when I am out at night.

Graeme

You can refurb these. Smog say toothpaste but meguiars do a plastic polish. You really need a polishing pad on a drill, with the lens off the car to get the best result. In and cases you can go down first with wet and dry, then use the polish to bring it back. Works on any car that has polycarbonate lenses, which is just about anything from the mid 90s onwards. Different car companies use different grades - those Hyundai 4wd things all have opaque covers.

Believe it or not it is UV damage more than sand blasting. Cars which spend a lot of time in The sun get cloudy lenses.

I rechecked the assembly in the light unit assembly and they don't appear the electronic height adjustment. I did the alignment last night asper the instructions. gosh they are really defined in their output. I would argue that you can get a better alignment after installation.

I will now look at a better hi beam bulb as they seem yellow in comparison.

Graeme

I rechecked the assembly in the light unit assembly and they don't appear the electronic height adjustment. I did the alignment last night asper the instructions. gosh they are really defined in their output. I would argue that you can get a better alignment after installation.

I will now look at a better hi beam bulb as they seem yellow in comparison.

Graeme

I got the whitest high beams I could get, Phillips I think, and they still look yellow compared to the HID`s

Archived