993 headlights

ByronBayChris

Not exactly state of the art are they!!!!!

I've got the same problem Chris and have looked thoroughly at the options available.

Quick and easy fix is toput in some of the new style globes you can get from SC, Autobarn etc... Put these in the wife's CX-9 and they were amazing, however for some reason did not last long.

There are lots of Xenon sets to suit our cars but IMHO the Carnewal product is probably the way to go. Gert is a great bloke and stands right behind his product. I was looking at ordering some just before Xmas but thought I'll hang out. Maybe if anyone else on the forum would like them we could buy a few, save freight and maybe get a discount on the product.

http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p061.htm

That's great Chris. Let's give it a week and see if anyone else jumps on.

As far as installation is concerned, there are a heap of threads on Rennlist.

Walk in the park. Happy to help with the install.

Please note guys that the 5000k are NOT slimline ballasts and will not fit inside the headlight housing .Supposedly the slimlines will, Personally I think its a bit tight in there to stuff another thing in. Some mount the external ballasts to the car, however when you take out the lights there is a perfect little shelf which is formed by the plastic inner guard that they sit in perfectly, and that way you don`t lose the ability to remove the lights by just flicking the lever and pulling out.

IMGP1539_zpsf0d81ac8.jpg

IMGP1531_zps44412ec4.jpg

Possibly Theo, They are cheap enough to try. when I got mine I ordered two sets just in case something , ballast or globe stuffed up so I would have spares and all up it was only 70 bucks delivered BTW nothing has stopped working in 2 or 3 years. The reason I went for the 5000 was that, like horsepower there is no such thing as too much 

Really noticeable difference Steve. Looks great.

For me to get any value in changing from standard I would need to drive my car in the dark. It's a bit like the rain, it doesn't seem to happen..... :)

C

opposite problem up here in the hills Chris. Its always bloody raining and to get anywhere before noon its dark when I have to leave

Steve, the 5000K now seem to be slimline ballasts.

Having said that, maybe the 4500k could work as they are closer to the factory Litronic colour.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/993-forum/729092-another-ddm-tuning-hid-install.html

Theo , the thing that put me off fitting the slimlines inside the housing is that the ballasts are a heat sink. I know people say that its ok but all factory ballasts that I have seen are external . i don't know how hot they get but they must generate some heat  

Theo , the thing that put me off fitting the slimlines inside the housing is that the ballasts are a heat sink. I know people say that its ok but all factory ballasts that I have seen are external . i don't know how hot they get but they must generate some heat  

I have heard this Steve. The heat generated can melt some plastics.

Interesting food for thought. Need to think about the options a little more.

• 1 year later...

Au-yt

Great you mentioned ToreB's products. I ordered a set of 4300k for my (new to me) 993 + the remote keyless entry option. The reviews have been great to date. I am expecting it anytime in the next week and once received, will aim to install ASAP and do a write-up.

BTW you can save a bit more on the HID's if you become a Rennlist member.

Keep you posted......

Well I got the package from Bergville - collected it on Saturday morning. The T-Lock Keyless Entry and the HID Lights came in a deceptively small package. Guess its not all about size.

Unfortunately I only got time to install the T-Lock Keyless entry. For anyone who does not have the keyless function on their 993, this is definitely a worthwhile addition. It is meant to be very easy ( ~ 20 minutes) but since I am mechanically incapable and I was working at night, it proved tougher. All up took me 2 hours. Hint - do it during the day as the wires can all look alike without proper illumination.

The HID kit "seems" to be simple enough though I do need to do a bit of cutting and drilling......No looking forward to it and I will need to get a Dremel kit. That plus a work trip may mean it takes a wee bit longer than anticipated.......Sorry........

• 3 weeks later...

Pulled the headlights on the Turbo during the week, cleaned the lenses as they were grey, put new brighter Osram globes in. Took all of fifteen minutes a side at most. Great result. Not as bright as HID conversions but good enough for a non daily driver, without needing to modify anything. Like the look of the HID conversions and looking forward to finding out how you go with it.

Archived