Been surfing US eBay site again

Discussion of LHD Porsches got me thinking about the massive market of US 911s just waiting to get on a boat.

1978 Porsche 911 SC White

1973 Porsche 911S Targa

1983 Porsche 911 SC Burgundy

1977 Porsche 911 73 RS replica track prepared

The white and burgundy ones are low mileage minters.  Will be watching to see their sale price with interest.   The RS replica reports $80k spent and looking for $43k.

My search was cut off at 1983 for QLD rego purposes.  

...and from the 'Aliens did things to me' files, we have this gem...

Porsche 911 Prototype ; a snip at $16,000,000

I bet PayPal would like the transfer fees on that one  :blink:

that 911T is a hoot

:ph34r:

it obviously doesn't need a throttle pedal, it uses magic and dark energy to drive

and looks like a blind monkey welded the headers

karmann manufactured body, so a real 71?

that 911T is a hoot

:ph34r:

it obviously doesn't need a throttle pedal, it uses magic and dark energy to drive

and looks like a blind monkey welded the headers

karmann manufactured body, so a real 71?

If you can work out what is going on there, you're smarter than I am.

To my untrained eye, it looks like a rusty 71 of uncertain provenance with some crap thrown on it, and then a bunch of meaningless stuff thrown on ebay like pictures of two different pedal sets?   It looks like some bad 1980s flatnose conversion, then a whole mess of spares randomly photographed.  I mean....a photo of a johnson&johnson wrapper WT and indeed, F?

I would think it was just a scammer at work.... but then.... $16 mil starting bid?  Is *any* Porsche worth that much?  I don't even think rare P race cars have fetched much more than $4 million.

At that point I figured we have a very strange person operating a computer somewhere, or maybe some type of practical joke.

From a complete newbie, what would be the estimated cost to get a car like the white one delivered to my door. I understand it does not need compliance..... just club rego?

It's in NY so you'd have to get it shipped to LA, then you need shipping out of LA. You also need it stored in la while you get your import approval. Then you'll need to pay a freight forwarder to land it for you, and I still think you need to pay duty and gst. And insurance. From there you have it in your local state, and it's different in each state.

Someone else can probably give you an accurate number, but count on between 5k and 10k all up would be my guess.

I have been strongly considering this one.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130840145151?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Hoping someone will buy it, but they haven't.

Shipping costs are $1500-2000 dependant on your Port.

Import Approval, Fees and taxes are in a range of $1800 -$ 3800 dependant on the subject car, your location etc...

So the above estimate is correct.

This 912 is at the top end of 912 Pricing in the USA.

The guy pretty much wants top money for it.

I am battling this or a Kombi Ute.

Type 1 Kombi Utes are STUPID money now. Same money can get this Minter 912............

All the USA restorations seem to have high quality interiors, someone there really knows how to refurb seats properly. Many recovered seats you see in ads have wrinkles and other problems, but the ones I that 912 are perfect.

Bit of dodgy paint by the RH side front wheel though.

All the USA restorations seem to have high quality interiors, someone there really knows how to refurb seats properly. Many recovered seats you see in ads have wrinkles and other problems, but the ones I that 912 are perfect.

Bit of dodgy paint by the RH side front wheel though.

Yep, you can buy all repro stuff for these early cars. Its expensive though.

Do you mean the paint colour is dodgy on the RHS guard? I can't see any imperfection(s) on it though?

It does appear the front guard fit at the rear of the guard where it meets the door is off; the door sits proud of the guard in the centre. This may also give the appearance of poor colour matching.

You have a eye for detail though!!

I am falling in love with this car........

Yep, you can buy all repro stuff for these early cars. Its expensive though.

Do you mean the paint colour is dodgy on the RHS guard? I can't see any imperfection(s) on it though?

It does appear the front guard fit at the rear of the guard where it meets the door is off; the door sits proud of the guard in the centre. This may also give the appearance of poor colour matching.

You have a eye for detail though!!

I am falling in love with this car........

Sorry I meant LH from the driver pov. down near the bottom. Zoom in - the color hasn't been applied correctly over the undercoat- probably hard with this color. But it also looks like the original paint wasn't taken back properly if you zoom right in.

Sorry I meant LH from the driver pov. down near the bottom. Zoom in - the color hasn't been applied correctly over the undercoat- probably hard with this color. But it also looks like the original paint wasn't taken back properly if you zoom right in.

Ahhhh. I see. I am calling the guy tonight to discuss so will point this out. Its had a quick and thick coat.

Ahhhh. I see. I am calling the guy tonight to discuss so will point this out. Its had a quick and thick coat.

It's an honest mistake on the part of a painter but it does point to bad prep in some places, and for the premium price you'd really think they would have seen that and put it right.

What happened to the 3.2 in WA?  Nothing?

The '73 RS replica looks nice in the pics. Like his hp conversion % from at the wheel to flywheel. Working on 25% which is about 10% higher than we're used to using. Having said that, the PCNSW uses 32% from memory. What does everyone else use? 

It's an honest mistake on the part of a painter but it does point to bad prep in some places, and for the premium price you'd really think they would have seen that and put it right.

What happened to the 3.2 in WA?  Nothing?

The 912 remains un sold.

3.2 in WA is a nice car. Made an offer and left it at that. The offer was low as I really don't need the car and want a 912 and/or a VW Kombi ute (Which I also made an offer on one in WA).

Small paint blemish aside, I really like the 912......ALOT.

The 912 remains un sold.

3.2 in WA is a nice car. Made an offer and left it at that. The offer was low as I really don't need the car and want a 912 and/or a VW Kombi ute (Which I also made an offer on one in WA).

Small paint blemish aside, I really like the 912......ALOT.

Personally I don't see the attraction to a 912 but there you go it takes all types! I guess if you're a air cooled vw type of guy then the 912 is the ultimate evolution of the vw platform.

On Kombi utes, the guy that is on the show American Pickers has an awesome old Kombi ute.

Personally I don't see the attraction to a 912 but there you go it takes all types! I guess if you're a air cooled vw type of guy then the 912 is the ultimate evolution of the vw platform.

On Kombi utes, the guy that is on the show American Pickers has an awesome old Kombi ute.

Ok some facts here.

The 912s that appeared between 1964 and 1969 did not have VW motors in them. They had 1.6 L Porsche Pushrod flat fours with twin Solex carbs, exactly the same that is found in my 356 SC. The only Porsches that had air cooled VW Motors in them were the very early 356's to say 1952, the 912E and the 914 4 Cylinder models.

I am an air-cooled person so the 912(1964-1969) really does appeal to me in the same way the 356 SC did and does.

I wouldn't refer to a 912 as the ultimate evolution of the VW platform as it is a Porsche Car and really does not share anything with a VW other than the location and layout of its engine and its designers are in the same family(however the true designer of the VW is debateably not Ferdinand porsche) 

The 912E (US only) of 1974 had a VW type 4 injected flat 4 in its rump.

My attraction to 912's is that they really have been under-rated for a very long time and like the delicate styling of the SWB 911/912. I don't like the large pricing of the early 911's though :rolleyes:  so a 912 is really quite a good catch.

Not sure if you were of a complete understanding about early Porsche and what components they shared with VW's. Very Little after the early 50's.

Ok some facts here.

The 912s that appeared between 1964 and 1969 did not have VW motors in them. They had 1.6 L Porsche Pushrod flat fours with twin Solex carbs, exactly the same that is found in my 356 SC. The only Porsches that had air cooled VW Motors in them were the very early 356's to say 1952, the 912E and the 914 4 Cylinder models.

I am an air-cooled person so the 912(1964-1969) really does appeal to me in the same way the 356 SC did and does.

I wouldn't refer to a 912 as the ultimate evolution of the VW platform as it is a Porsche Car and really does not share anything with a VW other than the location and layout of its engine and its designers are in the same family(however the true designer of the VW is debateably not Ferdinand porsche) 

The 912E (US only) of 1974 had a VW type 4 injected flat 4 in its rump.

My attraction to 912's is that they really have been under-rated for a very long time and like the delicate styling of the SWB 911/912. I don't like the large pricing of the early 911's though :rolleyes:  so a 912 is really quite a good catch.

Not sure if you were of a complete understanding about early Porsche and what components they shared with VW's. Very Little after the early 50's.

Yes I didn't mean the vw platform in a literal sense, I knew it was all Porsche. I meant it in the sense of a rear engined air cooled flat 4. So if you're into air cooled veedubs a 912 is the best thing you can get as the ultimate expression of the platform. Kind of the way that a wrx owner might want a skyline gtr.

Yes I didn't mean the vw platform in a literal sense, I knew it was all Porsche. I meant it in the sense of a rear engined air cooled flat 4. So if you're into air cooled veedubs a 912 is the best thing you can get as the ultimate expression of the platform. Kind of the way that a wrx owner might want a skyline gtr.

This could well be the ultimate expression of the platform..http://www.912bbs.org/vb/garage_vehicle.php?do=view_vehicle&id=238 was recently for sale on us eay for ahem 165k...porsche perhaps woulda coulda shoulda back in the early 60's whn i believe they tinkered for a bit with a similar engine lyout...

• 5 months later...

That silver 930 was spoken about on P.P. I don't recal the full story but a lot of things don't click on it. Stuff like the low klms but has no service history and has had a full respray etc.

Crossed my mind that a respray on such a low km car was suspect, but gee it looks the goods.

Archived