911 Air Cooled Engine

Porsche_007

Hi there,

I am rebuilding a 964 restomod with inspiration from Singer.

I am looking at engine options with either a 993 or 964 block. I'm told the 993 cam decks are far better as the shafts bot in (not slide) into the bores) 

I would stroke up to 4.0L to get to around 450HP at the crank.

Does anyone know any quality and reasonably priced air cooled engine builders?

Cheers,

Simon

2 hours ago, Porsche_007 said:

Hi there,

I am rebuilding a 964 restomod with inspiration from Singer.

I am looking at engine options with either a 993 or 964 block. I'm told the 993 cam decks are far better as the shafts bot in (not slide) into the bores) 

I would stroke up to 4.0L to get to around 450HP at the crank.

Does anyone know any quality and reasonably priced air cooled engine builders?

Cheers,

Simon

I've got a disassembled 993 turbo engine that needs some new parts if interested.

Don't want to burst your bubble but unless you are going forced induction, you are not going to get anywhere near 450hp at the crank. Even the top Singer 4.0 is 'only' 390hp at the crank, and the DLS is reported to have around 500 but that is nothing remotely resembling a 911 engine anymore. Aircooled 911 engines are probably the worst hp per $ you can possibly find. I still love them though ;)

5 minutes ago, MFX said:

Don't want to burst your bubble but unless you are going forced induction, you are not going to get anywhere near 450hp at the crank. Even the top Singer 4.0 is 'only' 390hp at the crank, and the DLS is reported to have around 500 but that is nothing remotely resembling a 911 engine anymore. Aircooled 911 engines are probably the worst hp per $ you can possibly find. I still love them though ;)

You make a valid point. So would you add forced induction to air cooled engine or try something more radical like modified water cooled 997 GT3 Cup engine? 

You better decide on your gearbox max rating before you decide on your engine power.  Forced induction is the only answer for > 300 hp in an air cooled.  Fitting a water cooled engine - too much bother and might as well get a 996 turbo and go boosting. 

300hp in a 964 makes for a rapid car.  On an early car it would be very quick.

8 hours ago, Porsche_007 said:

You make a valid point. So would you add forced induction to air cooled engine or try something more radical like modified water cooled 997 GT3 Cup engine? 

It depends on what you wan the car for. 911's have always been more about handling than straight line speed though. Why do you 'need' 450hp. As @Coastrsaid, 300hp 964 is rapid. Lets face it, an old 911 is never going to be the fastest thing around these days, but is that what you want from it? If you really need that sort of power maybe look at an LS swap like Reece has done in Qld.

Hi @Porsche_007 I’d recommend you go and have a chat with some professionals like PR Tech or Autohaus Hamilton before you go down any path - they have all been there and done that so they will be able to give you real advice on how feasible it all is, power, costs etc. 

5 hours ago, hugh said:

Hi @Porsche_007 I’d recommend you go and have a chat with some professionals like PR Tech or Autohaus Hamilton before you go down any path - they have all been there and done that so they will be able to give you real advice on how feasible it all is, power, costs etc. 

I’ll second that.  A nice 3.8 or even 4.0 kit with exhaust will be a great drive in a 964 or 993 hot rod.  Mid 300hp will feel great. If that wasn’t enough shorten the final drive and get some extra go that way.  If 964 Is the steed drop in a 6 speed and good lsd.  @mark2559 is doing one right now inspired by RUF and doing it well. See his posts on the topic. 

PR recently did an amazing 964 hot rod that really was hot and just re sold - but be aware that to go truly 400hp or more in air cooled is mega coin and honestly seems over the top imho having owned and driven a 993S for a while now with just some nice Dansk mufflers.  Probably around 300hp and feels great. The air cooled engines make great power through the range but don’t rev as far as say a GT3 engine so the super impressive ‘peak hp’ figure is lower.  

good luck.