Engine Test Stand - 3.5 Litre Aircooled

Mike D'Silva

Good work & explanation, great to test the motor before installing in car. Saves having to pull it out if theres something like an unforseen oil leak.

Did you have the O2 sensor plugged into the ECU?

I am curious about the 2 different O2 readings you mentioned. Are you going to plumb in a Wide Band O2 to the 3.2 ECU?

3 hours ago, Zelrik911 said:

Good work & explanation, great to test the motor before installing in car. Saves having to pull it out if theres something like an unforseen oil leak.

Did you have the O2 sensor plugged into the ECU?

I am curious about the 2 different O2 readings you mentioned. Are you going to plumb in a Wide Band O2 to the 3.2 ECU?

hi

the new chip does away with the need for the factory O2 sensor. I do have a wideband plugged in for monitoring purposes. But the ecu does not require it for everyday running. Steve Wong chips are claimed to be pretty accurate for the intended engine. I'll probably mount a wideband gauge in the car as this chassis will become my "test mule" for future engine projects...

Nice rig!

The wideband readings may well be different due to the tailpipe mount, which is not ideal.  My (limited) experience is with motorcycle systems (hence short) and you can even get inaccurate readings with the sensor in the collector box if you have a very short secondary/muffler/megaphone.  As I've been told, pressure wave reversions will cause air to be drawn up the pipe, compromising readings if your sensor is too close to the tip.  I guess Porsche's are pretty unique in the auto world in having very short exhausts just due to engine position, so this might be an issue even in a normal mid-pipe welded bung.

A tip mounted sensor like in your video might be even more affected by this phenomenon (which I have been told about by people's experience I value, but never empirically proven/disproven myself).  Also, sensors can be poisoned by types of fuel or additives or other factors.  Given your rig really lends itself to trying it out, I'd be interested in what might happen if you swap positions of the sensors.