Wire Crimper Advice

Hi Team, 

Just wondering whether anybody has any recommendations on a quality wire crimper for automotive use? My new-to-me 3.2 is going to require some tidying up of wiring, and I've been meaning to upgrade for ages. Any ideas for your more run-of-the-mill speaker wiring/audio and similar gauge caper?

Angus

Warning Minefield 🤬 You will get what you pay for. No one tool will cover it all. Best tools are parallel closing and have interchangeable jaws. For best results use the tool jaws specifically designed for the terminal as these will not only do the crimp but also the strain relief at the same time including any sealing plugs.

For audio wiring it may just depend on what AWG you will be using.

Generally audio is less critical but if your a fanatic with an audiophile ear , don’t fret.

If you are an audiophile , everything from the copper purity to gauge will be important.

25 minutes ago, Joz said:

For audio wiring it may just depend on what AWG you will be using.

Generally audio is less critical but if your a fanatic with an audiophile ear , don’t fret.

If you are an audiophile , everything from the copper purity to gauge will be important.

Having seen your setup in your loungeroom Joe, I'd have to guess you are an audiophile 🙂 

Angus,

You really need to specifically identify what connectors and wire size you want to crimp first.  Once you've done that, the rest is easy.

Jaycar is probably a convenient place to go as they have a good range and keen pricing for the crimper I suspect you need.  The tech nerds also tend to know their stuff too unlike most shop assistants.

Once you figure out what connectors you will be using, I found eBay good for bulk packs.

Don't forget some wire strippers while you are at it.

Hi all, valuable insight indeed (as expected), thanks a lot.

Oh, I'm certainly audio-interested outside the 3.2, but am sensible enough to avoid pursuing anything phile-like in this car. I'll be satisfied with decent bluetooth and something vaguely sympathetic to the car's era (not the outdated Alpine unit currently in residence). Possibly one of those Blaupunkt Bremen re-issues, but I'm loathed to pay the premium for a DAB function that I can't use in the regional areas I'll use the car in.

23 minutes ago, youremostwelcome said:

Hi all, valuable insight indeed (as expected), thanks a lot.

Oh, I'm certainly audio-interested outside the 3.2, but am sensible enough to avoid pursuing anything phile-like in this car. I'll be satisfied with decent bluetooth and something vaguely sympathetic to the car's era (not the outdated Alpine unit currently in residence). Possibly one of those Blaupunkt Bremen re-issues, but I'm loathed to pay the premium for a DAB function that I can't use in the regional areas I'll use the car in.

Have a good look at the Continental units - here :https://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/c/Continental-Car-Radio/Continental+Car+Radio.html or at your closest Ebay store.  Options as to features, I put one in my 996 GT3 and the look was perfect and it worked very well,  Was basically plug and play too

4 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Have a good look at the Continental units - here :https://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/c/Continental-Car-Radio/Continental+Car+Radio.html or at your closest Ebay store.  Options as to features, I put one in my 996 GT3 and the look was perfect and it worked very well,  Was basically plug and play too

Any idea if the USB port on the continental, also charges your phone?

On 29/06/2022 at 14:32, youremostwelcome said:

Hi Team, 

Just wondering whether anybody has any recommendations on a quality wire crimper for automotive use? My new-to-me 3.2 is going to require some tidying up of wiring, and I've been meaning to upgrade for ages. Any ideas for your more run-of-the-mill speaker wiring/audio and similar gauge caper?

Angus

this might be a helpful video