928 Misfiring.

dobbo

Went from Swansea to Mooney Mooney via the M1 on Wednesday in my 1980 928 and about halfway there it started misfiring on 1 or 2 cylinders under load. Was doing about 120kmh and up some decent climbs engine temp was normal and if I backed off or was going downhill it was'nt as bad. Had lunch at the Bowlo (car had cooled down) and went home via the old road at 60 to 80kmh and it ran a lot better but was misfiring a bit when I got back on the M1 and was doing 100 to 110kmh. 

Sounds like spark breaking down as had happened in 2019 when I replaced the plug leads it rectified the issue.

So the leads are only a bit over two years old and done only about 12000kms. At the same time I checked the dizzy cap and rotor and they seemed ok and the coil looks original. The green wire has been affected by heat but thats fairly normal for an old 928.

Do the 928 brains trust think it's time to replace the coil or could the leads have gone bad after such a short time. I don't want to spend another $500 on Buru leads again if I don't have to. I also replaced the sparkplugs when I fitted the new leads advice welcome.  

Replaced plugs on Friday. Went from Chinese made BOSCH WR8DC to Thai made NGK BPR6ES. Old plugs were  white with a slight grey colour about half to a third away round the insulator indicating a lean condition. 

Questions is it a 3mm allen key that fits the air\fuel ajustment screw. Which direction to richen it up and by how much. Note car starts,idles and did run fine only hiccup was misfire under heavy  load and prolonged high speed.

On 21/01/2023 at 20:43, dobbo said:

Replaced plugs on Friday. Went from Chinese made BOSCH WR8DC to Thai made NGK BPR6ES. Old plugs were  white with a slight grey colour about half to a third away round the insulator indicating a lean condition. 

Questions is it a 3mm allen key that fits the air\fuel ajustment screw. Which direction to richen it up and by how much. Note car starts,idles and did run fine only hiccup was misfire under heavy  load and prolonged high speed.

On 21/01/2023 at 21:43, dobbo said:

Clockwise is rich - make sure you ONLY do small increments

https://jimsbasementworkshop.com/CIS/pages/test_mixtures.html

Thanks P-Kay will chase up long allen key when I come back from holidays so will update next month.

Oz fuel filter not due for change for another 3000ks. The filter in the fuel distributer is seized in and I have'nt been able to get it out even with a few hits from a chisel.

If adjustment  fails will go down filter replacement  route  and may have to take top off fuel distributer as a last resort. From memory I tried flushing out the FD filter from the outside with WD40 years ago.

Any advice or tips welcome however leaving for Perth tomorrow so won't be able to reply till next month.

• 1 month later...