2006 + CAYMAN S IMS ISSUES

Niko

Hi people, I was under the impression (obviously wrongly) that the IMS issue really only affected the 986 Boxster and the 996's. I now find out it is also a problem in the Caymans that were first launched in 2006. However supposedly fixed in the Gen 2 987 Cayman. Has anyone had experience or heard of this....I have found a couple of overseas sites and even WIKIPEDIA mentions the problem.

Very disappointing that it has continued over into another series...

Niko all 996.1/996.2/997.1 engines have an IMS the DFI 997.2 engines do not, they have done away with the IMS in the design I believe. This flows on to the 986.1/986.2/987.1 varients etc. Basically the same engine up until the 2009 DFI engines came into production

Thanks for that info I must have been living under a mushroom, as it came as a bit of a shock to find out of someone contemplating buying a 2006 Cayman, that the IMS was still an issue.

Well I suppose it is hard to believe a company that built a car for what 7 years? Would update the 986 and the flagship 911 model without updating certain engine components that were known to have possibly caused catastrophic failure amongst many many vehicles.

So yeh, it is a shock :) and something you'd like to think wouldn't happen with 997 987 Mark 1s

I have to agree, I find it quite strange that something that is such a weak point would not have been eliminated....have to admit though I didn't know is translated into the cayman as well...

The M97 engine (as used in 987.1 and 997.1 cars) uses a fundamentally different and beefier bearing design to the M96 engine, which was supposed to address the IMS bearing issue.

Given that M97 engines have been around since 2005/6, and we haven't had large numbers of engine failures, it's prolly fair to say that the problems with the IMS bearing in the M96 engine were addressed.  Just because one or some engines have failed in this manner, does not mean to say that the problem is endemic.

One swallow does not make a happy relationship summer.

Thanks James, that makes it a bit more palatable...I guess. Certainly appears to be much less of a problem, due to the lack of complaints and coverage in other forums as well as our forum.

I suppose The age old question still remains...or does it.....

If looking at getting into a Gen1 987 Cayman, do you factor in an IMS upgrade.??? Or......... take what appears to be a much lesser chance of a malfunction.

Be interesting to know the numbers.

Comes back to peace of mind again I am thinking.

Thanks James, that makes it a bit more palatable...I guess. Certainly appears to be much less of a problem, due to the lack of complaints and coverage in other forums as well as our forum.

I suppose The age old question still remains...or does it.....

If looking at getting into a Gen1 987 Cayman, do you factor in an IMS upgrade.??? Or......... take what appears to be a much lesser chance of a malfunction.

Be interesting to know the numbers.

Comes back to peace of mind again I am thinking.

Yeah, is the ims upgrade still a better component than the beefier bearing in the m97 .1 engines ??

Yeah, is the ims upgrade still a better component than the beefier bearing in the m97 .1 engines ??

Some are better and some are similar.

Several vendors offer IMS upgrade kits, notably the LN Engineering one from the states and the Hartech one from Barry Hart in the UK seem to be the most coveted in upgrade kits.

I found this quote from Mike Focke about the 987. And figure the 987 part also applies to the Cayman?

You have several classes of Boxsters depending on style, engines, major upgrades, etc. These are US model year changes, by the way. Yours may be different.

97-99 2.5 with Gen 1 IMS

00-03 2.7 or 3.2 S with Gen 2 IMS

03-04 same with improvements

05 2.7 or 3.2S

06-08 2.7 or 3.2S with Gen 3 IMS

09-12 2.9-3.4S IMS-less design

98113-

Some of the US model year differences can be seen here. I only point out that there were major transitions every couple of years so you watch for them and don't think there is just a 986 and a 987.The auto transmission was a Tiptronic from 97 thru 08 and after that a PDK. So lots of differences and price points. I owned two and actually enjoyed the '99 2.5 as much as the '01S as you could put your foot down harder/longer before you had to lift. Is the 987 superior, yes. Worth the extra coin? Depends on the price and the importance of price to you.There is also buying guides, and lots of other background articles on that site. Mostly oriented to the 986.Loved both of mine. Very reliable.Let me stress that if you go to that site, you'll learn too much. Don't let it scare you. All cars have problems, it is just we are so passionate about ours and keep them running for so long that we tend to know more about them and tell each other than other brands. And I hear their own 911-specific issues stories from their owners.

I had the IMS in my 2001 Boxster S replaced in 2010 while they were doing the clutch & DMF. The dual row bearing that came out was perfect. I still have peace of mind that at least that component will not fail, as when it lets go, there is no warning. By the time you turn the engine off, the engine is destroyed.

Archived