Did our Aussie 911s come with full leather?

Hi all, 

Have been doing some reading on pelican about their different leather options when new and some mentioned that vinyl was also an option, which brings me to my question. 

In 3.2's what parts are leather? 

Are the seats and seat backs full leather? I know the door pocket lids are not, because they're not stitched like the US cars and I don't think the dashes are either. So I'm thinking it's only the seats themselves. Front and rear? We never had any options for a full leather, or beltline leather interior? 

Also, I'm looking at getting my seats done and would like to knkw if anyone knows whether leather seats were more gloss, or matt from factory? My cars an 87' for reference. 

Thanks 

1 hour ago, 911 said:

Hi all, 

Have been doing some reading on pelican about their different leather options when new and some mentioned that vinyl was also an option, which brings me to my question. 

In 3.2's what parts are leather? 

Are the seats and seat backs full leather? I know the door pocket lids are not, because they're not stitched like the US cars and I don't think the dashes are either. So I'm thinking it's only the seats themselves. Front and rear? We never had any options for a full leather, or beltline leather interior? 

Also, I'm looking at getting my seats done and would like to knkw if anyone knows whether leather seats were more gloss, or matt from factory? My cars an 87' for reference. 

I think the Turbo's might have come out in full leather standard, Where as the other cars had a mix of leather and vinyl  , But in saying that if you had the $ you could have any combernation that your heart could desire :)

Only been following later models, 996/997 and on those  only the seats are leather and the rest is something synthetic( Australian models) whereas in the UK for example these models have full leather. US is more of a mix but more people added full leather. If I see a full leather interior on Carsales it’s more likely an import from UK. Maybe this has always been the way for Australian delivered 911’s, including yours. 

In a direct reference to the "Australian Delivered " 1987 year model 911 , the below is the description from the new cars sales price list printed by Porsche Cars Australia and dated April 1987 }

The below is only interior to answer you question for the 87 911

First off the list is whats called standard for Australian specification

# Partial Leather Seats  ( this means the front seats only have the face of the seat in leather ) , the sides and back were leatherette ( high quality fabric backed vinyl ) , the rear seats were Leatherette

# Leather covered steering wheel

# Drivers seat with electric height adjustment

# Black Velour carpet in luggage area

# Cabriolet has luggage compartment instead of rear seats

Whats not on the list of "standard " leather bits is the gear stick ( outer ) boot , from 1986 to 1989 it was leather as standard

# Air conditioning is standard

-----------------------------------------------

Now to the option list from the same price list } & remember the prices are 36 years old

All Leather front and rear seats    $ 3,150

Leather interior with Leatherette belt  $ 4,193   ( Cabrio $ 3,561 )

All Leather interior    $ 6,477  ( Cabrio $ 4,989 )

All Leather interior : Colour to sample  $ 10,257 ( Cabrio $ 8,796 )

Door panels in cloth to match seats ( not available for Cabrio ) $ 369

Power seat ( passenger )  $ 1,738  ( 8 way )

Power Seat ( Driver )   $ 1,161        ( 8 way )

Lumber support for drivers seat  $ 1,249  ( only available as an extra with 8 way seats )  , meaning $ 1,161 + $ 1,2161

Sports seat ( passenger ) with electric height adjustment  $ 1,256

Sports seat ( Driver ) with electric height adjustment ) $ 681

---------------------------------------------------

This is not an interior option but I thought I would include it  }

Turbo Look   $ 40,438     ( its basically a 911 Turbo in every respect except the engine )

Regards
Bruce Buchanan
Buchanan Automotive

Interesting and something I have suspected for awhile. Ie the interior.

While you have the good book open, I read somewhere that the only (other) difference with the M491 option was the tie rods.  I could not find another reference or why Porsche could be bothered making such a trivial change.  Can you clear this up, please?

21 hours ago, Buchanan Automotive said:

There is no mention of which version of tie rods in the 1987 "sales Price Guide "  & on the PET there is no mention of the M491 in relation to the tie rods , it just mentions Turbo and Non Turbo versions of the tie rods

Thanks for the very thorough reply. 

Were all these options on the actual option sticker (i.e. Under bonnet), because I've looked at quite a few over the years for 87-89 and have nevsr seen an aussie car with any leather options. 

On 27/03/2023 at 08:50, Buchanan Automotive said:

In a direct reference to the "Australian Delivered " 1987 year model 911 , the below is the description from the new cars sales price list printed by Porsche Cars Australia and dated April 1987 }

The below is only interior to answer you question for the 87 911

First off the list is whats called standard for Australian specification

# Partial Leather Seats  ( this means the front seats only have the face of the seat in leather ) , the sides and back were leatherette ( high quality fabric backed vinyl ) , the rear seats were Leatherette

# Leather covered steering wheel

# Drivers seat with electric height adjustment

# Black Velour carpet in luggage area

# Cabriolet has luggage compartment instead of rear seats

Whats not on the list of "standard " leather bits is the gear stick ( outer ) boot , from 1986 to 1989 it was leather as standard

# Air conditioning is standard

-----------------------------------------------

Now to the option list from the same price list } & remember the prices are 36 years old

All Leather front and rear seats    $ 3,150

Leather interior with Leatherette belt  $ 4,193   ( Cabrio $ 3,561 )

All Leather interior    $ 6,477  ( Cabrio $ 4,989 )

All Leather interior : Colour to sample  $ 10,257 ( Cabrio $ 8,796 )

Door panels in cloth to match seats ( not available for Cabrio ) $ 369

Power seat ( passenger )  $ 1,738  ( 8 way )

Power Seat ( Driver )   $ 1,161        ( 8 way )

Lumber support for drivers seat  $ 1,249  ( only available as an extra with 8 way seats )  , meaning $ 1,161 + $ 1,2161

Sports seat ( passenger ) with electric height adjustment  $ 1,256

Sports seat ( Driver ) with electric height adjustment ) $ 681

---------------------------------------------------

This is not an interior option but I thought I would include it  }

Turbo Look   $ 40,438     ( its basically a 911 Turbo in every respect except the engine )

Regards
Bruce Buchanan
Buchanan Automotive

Also Bruce. Do you have a list of all the options. I didn't realise they were so customisable. Seems that every G50 car I've seen is pretty much spec'd the same (no options). 

Occasionally, I've seen different wheel sizes. 

In regards to the 1987 911 , there were not many more options , but they were }

#  Metallic Paint
# Paint colour to sample
# Headlight washers
# Heavy duty windscreen washer system
# Limited slip diff
# 15" dia Fuchs forged wheels ( standard was the telephone style for 1987 )
# 16" dia Fuchs forged wheels
#  Sports shock absorbers

Everything else that came with a 1987 Australian delivered 911 was standard

Regards
Bruce Buchanan  
Buchanan Automotive

On 25/03/2023 at 20:33, sjm said:

Only been following later models, 996/997 and on those  only the seats are leather and the rest is something synthetic( Australian models) whereas in the UK for example these models have full leather. US is more of a mix but more people added full leather. If I see a full leather interior on Carsales it’s more likely an import from UK. Maybe this has always been the way for Australian delivered 911’s, including yours. 

My 996 has leather dash etc,  as well as seats.  AUS delivered.

• 3 months later...
On 28/03/2023 at 08:47, 911 said:

Thanks for the very thorough reply. 

Were all these options on the actual option sticker (i.e. Under bonnet), because I've looked at quite a few over the years for 87-89 and have nevsr seen an aussie car with any leather options. 

Had s friends dad with an 85 3.2. It was full leather. I had an 85 3.2 which wasnt so i had a "control sample".