Panamera Arrival

Hi Guys

On Saturday we took delivery of our very first Porsche. A Panamera Diesel Platinum Edition with the upgraded 20" Turbo II wheels. As previously posted, we were both fanitical BMW fans having driven the X6 for the past 4 years. After an hour of sign here and sign there we were ready to get on the road.  

Well......what a ride. We love it....Comfortable seats, very little road noise, a very responsive throttle and not to mention the looks we got as we very nervously made our way along the M1 toward home.

In comparison to the X6 the seats are a little harder and don't quite wrap around you in the same manner as the X6, but the leather seems far superior as is the overall finish inside. In our opinion it is this attention to detail that seperates the 2 with the Panamera feeling a real limousine like motor car.

The average fuel consumption across the 1 1/2 hour journey home was a remarkable 5.4l/100km. We were estatic to see this as we have been used to 16.2 on average in the BMW. The trip home and the tank is still showing full!! with a range left to empty of some 830km - WOW!!

The Panamera is fitted with Start Stop technology. You pull up at a set of traffic lights and the engine turns off, a bit scarey sitting in traffic when this happens, and I am certain will take a bit of getting used to. The moment you release the brake the engine automatically starts and away you go. It is a function that you can easily turn on and off again, this one will take us some time.

Overall we are impressed with our first Porsche. A truely level above the BMW. The only complaint, (and it's not really a complaint) was on the day of delivery we felt a little rushed by the sales person doing the hand over. BMW were exceptional when it came to hand over they went over everything even setting the seat configeration for my wife and I and programming our preferences to the individual keys. Porsche did not do this for us, nor did they sync our iPod. I don't mind learning and doing these things myself, but when you spending this sort of money on a car you expect the "royal" service. If the saleperson says they will sync the iPod then they should, not just make the comment to read the book and if you still get stuck, give them a call and if it can be fixed in a few minutes over the phone they are happy to help. If not they will have a look at the time of next service.

Now that I have bored everyone here with my rant, I'll finish a few quick pics.

post-1217-0-18779900-1365384657_thumb.jp

post-1217-0-20930300-1365384672_thumb.jp

Excellent news and congratulations. Sounds like two happy new Porsche devotees. I Agee they should have spent time setting everything up for you. VW did on my lowly Passat. In fact i got to the stage where I said so can I take it now...

Enjoy the car and looking forward to hearing more about it.

I am actually going to the shanghai motor show where I believe they are releasing a new iteration of the panamera

Very nice acquisition!

An interesting car the panamera...polarizing in design.

Some think they are butt ugly, while others would say sublime.

Me, i'd love one, so would my wife!

Funny thing is the same could be said about X6 design and she likes those too!

I saw my first Panamera in the flesh about a week ago and it was big and black and looked absolutely stunning. I was a convert straight away. Congratulations on the new wheels. I'm sure you are going to enjoy every journey in it

Yeah Bruce I fell in lust with them when a white one pull past me in my rental BMW on a german autobahn and effortlessly blasted off into the distance.

I were like "Now THATS how you travel cross-country in style"!

Thanks guys. I agree, they are very much like the X6, you either love them or hate them. At first we couldn't get our heads around size and the flow of the roof line on the X6 but looking at it at various angles we eventually were hooked. The thing was like a tank on the road, there was no mistaking what it was. The Panamera was the same, it was hard to find a good review, top gear totally bashed it, but on a recent trip to Hong Kong we had the opportunity to get a little more personal and it was then and there we decided that we just had to have one.

Congrats on the new ride Micky. The panamera is certainly a surprise package for its size. Enjoy your new ride.

As a matter of interest where did you end up buying from City or Metro? Just wanting to gauge my perception as well.......

Hi Arthur

We made the purchase through the dealership at Newstead in Brisbane city. Throughout the negotiations we actually had contact with 4 different salespersons, 1 of whom moved to Sydney mid way through so when we were contacted by the next salesperson we had to start the whole negotiation from scratch. Very messy earlier on but eventaully we were lined to a salesperson who saw the deal through.

Originally I was negotiating with Brisbane, Sydney South and Melbourne. Sydney and Melbourne both offered tremendous deals on the base models, not the Panamera Edition. Brisbane were offering a Silver 2012 base that had been heavily spec'd and had a body kit. I was not convinced on the silver, nor the black interior so my preferences went toward the other 2 dealers. Not only that but the price that Brisbane was asking in my opinion was relevant to another model something like the GTS. Even though their car had the GTS body kit, it was still the base model and I was not going to pay a premium because of the kit. I was about to leave for overseas when I got a call from Brisbane advising that there was a Panamera 2013 Platinum in a boat bound for australia and it was mine if I wanted it. I felt the price was too good to refuse so we accepted the deal and took delivery about 5 weeks later.

In comparision to the different dealers, and their negotiation abilities, I regard Sydney South as being truely professional. The Salesperson there was exceptional to do business with. Melbourne was next in line really giving their utmost to secure the deal. I regard Brisbane as being not as professional for reasons already mentioned.

• 2 months later...

Archived