250cc Supercart chasing a GT3 Cup car around Nordschleife

Amazing footage!! Must feel unbelievably fast in a cart a couple of inches off the road.  I can't believe it could keep up and even pass the Cup car.  I think I want one, and at a fraction of the cost of a track focussed Porsche.

On 19/05/2023 at 17:14, LeeM said:

Although this video game is pretty good, you'd be surprised how many lap records a 250 international (twin cylinder) Kart held around many circuits in the past.

Isle of Man superkarts...got the balls for this? 🤔

Back in the day a Mad mate of mine built this off road go cart thing basicly a go cart with quad bike wheels and tyres with a Yamaha 350 2 stroke twin for a power plant Man ! The bloody thing was that quick and terrifying he had to pull it apart before it took one of us out ;)

9 hours ago, tomo said:

Back in the day a Mad mate of mine built this off road go cart thing basicly a go cart with quad bike wheels and tyres with a Yamaha 350 2 stroke twin for a power plant Man ! The bloody thing was that quick and terrifying he had to pull it apart before it took one of us out ;)

Haha in uni early 90s, me and a couple of mates bought something similar, $700 in the trading post.  It was like a Honda Odyssey type frame, 350cc 2 stroke, 6 speed, rigid rear axle bolted to the chassis (no suspension).  Had 225 wide rally tyres on the back and wheelbarrow wheels on the front 😂  we rigged up a single disc and caliper on the rear axle (it had no brakes at all when we bought it 😬

Very quick in a straight line and sounded wicked with no muffler, screaming and  belching blue smoke.  it had massive plough understeer given the “locked diff” effect of a fixed rear axle.   so you had to tip it in and drive it sideways under power to get around a bend.  Hilarious……until it nearly took me out when I was standing on a corner taking photos.  It met a similar fate, cut up and disposed of.

Aaah the days of doing dumb shit, yet still here to talk about it 😅 If Gen X kids knew how to have real fun it'd be a better world.

I'd only driven a mates single cylinder National 250 superkart at Mallala which I thought was fun, but not as quick as I thought it'd be. Then I watched the internationals do some laps 😳 You've no idea how bonkers fast they are until you watch them up close.

Back when Superkarts were on the supports for F1 here in Adelaide, I'm was told either Barbera Hepworth or Gerard Seiberts pole time would have qualified them on the last row of the F1 grid or close to it. It was always very entertaining racing to watch

Edit: Googled it. They were 15 or so seconds off F1 lap times, but were quicker than V8 touring cars of the time.

Yep , We had a go Kart GranPrix here for a few years .It was a town circuit bloody great event, Pull the nitro bikes out for a couple of burnouts, Bloke had an F40 he used to do a sprint down the main drag, It was great , Then one of the karts jumped the fence and hit a spectator, He was OK but the town council would not let us run it anymore , Pulled the Insurance. ;(

Only non gearbox sprint karts, but I raced at the Pt Pirie street race in 91 or 92, which was basically 2 long straights with some witches hat chicanes that we took flat out, and 2 hairpins. Great fun and always loads of entries (and crashes), yet I think it eventually got canned after one big accident. Shame, as it was great for the town which is 3 odd hours from Adelaide, as it was packed with spectators

8 hours ago, LeeM said:

Only non gearbox sprint karts, but I raced at the Pt Pirie street race in 91 or 92, which was basically 2 long straights with some witches hat chicanes that we took flat out, and 2 hairpins. Great fun and always loads of entries (and crashes), yet I think it eventually got canned after one big accident. Shame, as it was great for the town which is 3 odd hours from Adelaide, as it was packed with spectators

Yeah, Same here in Portland ,People came from every where great fun really miss it..