SUSPENSION UPGRADES

Samp

Hi all, I am restoring a 74, 911s targa.  I have stripped it back to metal, painted it, reco the original 2.7 engine, re-wired it and just cleaned it all up. Now looking at doing something with the suspension.  It is very rough and feels unstable.  I usually drive later model cars and am not used to the jagged nature of the old 911.  What would be the best upgrade for under $5k?  I know nothing about suspension.  Started googling elephant racing and it is very expensive.

Well, if the car is not for track/racing, then as Lee said just start with stock sway, torsion bars and see how it is. That’s the cheapest options. I found when I upped my torsion bars it became uncomfortable just driving around the streets. So I’m back to stock with just sports(bilstein) shocks.

if you want sexy…& spend money elephant racing or KW v3 

Philbee

18 hours ago, Samp said:

Hi all, I am restoring a 74, 911s targa.  I have stripped it back to metal, painted it, reco the original 2.7 engine, re-wired it and just cleaned it all up. Now looking at doing something with the suspension.  It is very rough and feels unstable.  I usually drive later model cars and am not used to the jagged nature of the old 911.  What would be the best upgrade for under $5k?  I know nothing about suspension.  Started googling elephant racing and it is very expensive.

Just about to embark on the same journey. My mech maestro advised OEM full suspension refresh/replace unless you want to track it. I will follow to see how you get on

19 hours ago, Samp said:

Did this with my 1977 Carrera 3.0

shocks, all bushings, and new rear spring plates 

well worth doing , has transformed the car. I probably could have saved money on the rear spring plates, but they were 46 years old, and given the stresses that go through them I though I would treat the car and myself!

6 hours ago, G5032 said:

out of curiosity, where is the best place to source some Bilstein Sports for a Carrera 3.2?

Design 911 in the uk…. I waited for when the currency was favourable.

not sure if it still is - but wouldn’t hurt to price them out?

So many people build up and old 911 and want to 'improve' the handling so they go all out and get everything from Elephant racing, upgrade torsion bars, or even go coilover conversions... Most I have talked to regret it afterwards and many even spend even more money to go back to stock. 

If you are building a track car, then go hard, but if you want something that is great on the road and still fun on the rare track day, just refresh what the factory did. Still comfortable to use (particularly on most of the terrible roads we are stuck with) and I have never had an issue keeping up with anything from any generation in the twisties. 

Not so surprisingly, Porsche did a pretty good job when they designed them in the first place, and if it's handling like crap it is probably just because it is worn out ;)