GT Variant Allocations

mmm

Hi All

I'm curious to get some first-hand insights on the allocations for GT variants (GT3, 3RS, 4RS) in Australia. In the UK, is is fairly well documented that you need to be one of the dealer's preferred customers to even have a hope of ordering a GT product these days, but back in the 981 GT4 era, this wasn't necessarily the case. However, in Germany it seems that almost anyone (with the money) can order a GT3 if so desired. 

I'd be interested to know what the situation is here, as I've heard differing arguments. For example, the 911 Dakar (albeit not GT) was near impossible for anyone to get due to the limited number that came here (1 or 2 per dealer). While supposedly there were 4RS allocations available to almost anyone at certain points. Likewise, I know someone who ordered a 991.2 3RS brand new with no previous history, and has also ordered a 992 3RS. 

Any contributions are appreciated. 

Cheers. 

People generally stay reasonably silent on this topic in order to not mess up their chances of getting a car. However I've reached the point where I won't order a new car from them so I'm happy to speak freely.

Basically unless you know the secret handshake in Sydney you won't get one. Supposedly Melbourne is now similar. The list doesn't matter. Events don't matter. Being a long standing member of the porsche club makes no difference. Offering to buy whatever they have on the floor doesn't work. Neither does being a long standing customer of your dealer.

If you're lucky enough to live in one of the lower demand markets you're a better chance at some of the above working.

The only thing I think will work is interest rates hitting 10% as 90% of GT cars are financed.

My honest advice if you live in Sydney is to buy second hand. Just don't pay overs as that only encourages the stupidity that enthusiasts currently have to deal with.

Best of luck!

I have now met 3 guys (1 in QLD, 2 in VIC) who got a 4RS with no previous buying history. All there were relatively young guys too. So the allocation game seems to be somewhat erratic.

With regards to finance, I always buy my cars with cash. Never financed. One day I asked my dealer how many GT cars are bought like this vs finance. His response was that around 70% of GT car purchases are not financed.

I think you have to look at it case by case. 

3RS - less buyers so if you have the cash they’ll give you a go.

GT3 - very desirable even moreso touring - hard to get.

4RS - highest volume (correct me if I’m wrong) easiest to get.

GT3 has the worldwide demand since they first came out. Many 911 folk poo poo the Cayman so they will be GT3 all the way and most likely order, order the next, order the next. 

I’m a nobody don’t get me wrong, but I’ve heard some not wait for long and get a GT3, some never get one and give up, most GT4RS hopefuls do get one.

I’m sure each dealership has staff better than others to deal with, and to scratch their back, who knows.

2 hours ago, WGA said:

I have now met 3 guys (1 in QLD, 2 in VIC) who got a 4RS with no previous buying history. All there were relatively young guys too. So the allocation game seems to be somewhat erratic.

With regards to finance, I always buy my cars with cash. Never financed. One day I asked my dealer how many GT cars are bought like this vs finance. His response was that around 70% of GT car purchases are not financed.

I think he told you a porky pie. Both my dealers admitted that around 1 in 10 were not financed.

You are probably right but, just FYI, he also told me that the opposite was true for regular 911s where most were financed but GT car buyers tended to buy outright. So who knows!!

1 hour ago, WGA said:

You are probably right but, just FYI, he also told me that the opposite was true for regular 911s where most were financed but GT car buyers tended to buy outright. So who knows!!

I would say people in Sydney are generally more indebted than people in Melbourne so it could be right. I still doubt it though. (massive grain of salt incoming) All the ones that come up for sale seem to be under finance when I do a search.

I do think the 4RS became easier to get as the allocations wore on because more interesting cars became available which took away customers from the car. The road reviews also didn't help. They still haven't got through the list (they limited it to 30) at one of the Sydney dealers however.

17 hours ago, mmm said:

Hi All

I'm curious to get some first-hand insights on the allocations for GT variants (GT3, 3RS, 4RS) in Australia. In the UK, is is fairly well documented that you need to be one of the dealer's preferred customers to even have a hope of ordering a GT product these days, but back in the 981 GT4 era, this wasn't necessarily the case. However, in Germany it seems that almost anyone (with the money) can order a GT3 if so desired. 

I'd be interested to know what the situation is here, as I've heard differing arguments. For example, the 911 Dakar (albeit not GT) was near impossible for anyone to get due to the limited number that came here (1 or 2 per dealer). While supposedly there were 4RS allocations available to almost anyone at certain points. Likewise, I know someone who ordered a 991.2 3RS brand new with no previous history, and has also ordered a 992 3RS. 

Any contributions are appreciated. 

Cheers. 

4RS definitely easier.  I got one despite no dealer history, no existing relationship, never bought anything from that dealer, never bought any new Porsche, not a club member at the time.  Sounded like when the first 4RS allocations became available, as many as 50% of buyers in the queue that they called up to place an order elected not to order a car.  

I got a call soon after they’d worked down the list and allocated the first batch.  They seemed to be looking to bolster the list with genuine buyers to ensure they could move all the cars allocated.  Suits me.  

i didn’t try but I imagine the situation was very different for GT3 or 3RS or Dakar or S/T, I imagine they were far fewer available and more people on the list so the usual practice of favourites applied to those.  

at some level you’d think introducing new players would be good for business - if the good stuff goes to the blokes who already have the good stuff, that works for a while but when those blokes are old and no longer interested, wheres the next buyer come from….?

Maybe that’s the 4RS strategy, entice a wider audience into the GT tent to have more potential buyers for the next special car.  

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts. Very interesting to get some first hand accounts as well, so special thanks to DJM and WGA for those. I certainly agree with you Sleazius about interest rates likely having an effect, regardless of how many GT cars are financed, the buyers will have other investments/assets which are, so will feel the squeeze to some degree. 

@sleazius Are you saying there is still at least 1 Sydney dealer with unallocated 4RS' which they are trying to sell?