Heights and wheels question for 911 3.2

7 hours ago, Dalai said:

Check your States laws about wheel spacers before commiting to going that way. 

Yep 👍

Been told by the guy that inspected my car that on a Porsche, they're legal IF they're the same size as what the 930 Turbo uses on the rear, as they came from the factory with them fitted. Whether you can convince a copper of that when they're fitted to an SC etc and not a Turbo is another story. I had a pair of factory turbo spacers which were 28mm.

Fronts are a no no.

I know Jap import guys get defected for having wheel spacers fitted, yet they go to extremes sometimes, so they're just shooting themselves in the foot when modified Jap cars are a cop magnet.

8 hours ago, Dalai said:

Check your States laws about wheel spacers before commiting to going that way. 

Thanks not too worried for that. 930 has factory spacers. I don't thinks they will go that far or even know end difference. 

I think the 930 came with even wider spacers too didn't they? 28mm. I think you could use those on the rear if you wanted a bit more width, but with the fronts it's a bit harder. Not sure if you can run the same 21mm spacers on the front. 

I wouldn't bother buying wheels... Peter is right, there's already enough grip on the 7's if you have good tyres. Anymore width just adds weight and grip you don't need. That is for a stock car. 

From Vehicle Standards 2015 paragraph 4.2.2

Wheel spacers (or adaptors for dual wheel conversions) between the wheel mounting face and the road wheel must not be used unless fitted as original equipment by the vehicle manufacturer.

6 hours ago, 911 said:

I think the 930 came with even wider spacers too didn't they? 28mm. I think you could use those on the rear if you wanted a bit more width, but with the fronts it's a bit harder. Not sure if you can run the same 21mm spacers on the front. 

I wouldn't bother buying wheels... Peter is right, there's already enough grip on the 7's if you have good tyres. Anymore width just adds weight and grip you don't need. That is for a stock car. 

28mm might be an even nicer fits. I will take a look. 

Hut I still think I have to buy wider wheels for the front, so can't escape buying wheels. 

Does anyone know what wheel studs to use if you're using a 21mm or 28mm spacer?

Has everyone forgotten that the 491 wide body option for the 3.2 would have come with 50mm rear spacers?

There are spacers shown in the 911 PET.  Admittedly for the 930's!  

What's the risk involved?  Using name brand hubcentrics or Porsche part numbers spacers with reputable longer studs, surely there is no risk.

What's the risk of being defected?  I don't think we are in a group that encourages Coppers to get their Defect books out.  Keep your tyres on the right side of the guard lip and I don't think anyone would care.

Didn’t the M491 come with turbo suspension, apart from tie rods (go figure) so the spacers would be be the same as the turbo?

If you are going to buy new wheels anyway, why not get them with the correct offsets (within reason) and do away with the spacers?  

On 01/05/2024 at 14:52, davidtran said:

Thanks Peter M. I think that's great option! Cheap too. Do you know where to buy these spacers and nuts? Do I use OEM part numbers? Hard to find used I think. The way your car sits I'm happy with. Do you have 6 inch on front and spacer too? 

I always thought spacer was not good and if you have to, betters to use hubcentrics? Maybe because I had more powerful cars in past. 

That looks good too. What size spacer? 

David,
I've run both 23mm hubcentric (H&R and Design Tek (Design 911 inhouse brand) and currently, Porsche 944 21mm spacers with longer studs on my C3.2's

I would be comfortable with anything up to 25mm.  Others are happy to run wider but I'm not.

Unless you are changing the rear wheel bearings or have some other reason to remove the hubs I would just stick with a set of bolt on hubcentrics.

Like 911 above, I was surprised how expensive spacers are now.  I was also surprised that all the plentiful (and cheap!) 944 spacers on eBay have dried up too.  It's probably worth keeping you eye out on the various state Porsche Club classified and here for secondhand spacers as its a common modification. 

I have 6" front rim without spacers.  Many run 7's but I can't see the point as they still run 205's anyway.  Not that I want wider tyres.

Which brings me to the most important part.  Use good tyres that aren't too old.  I think Bridgestone RE003's are the pick for street tyres in terms of price/performance.  They were definitely popular at Luftwasser.  

11 minutes ago, OZ930 said:

Didn’t the M491 come with turbo suspension, apart from tie rods (go figure) so the spacers would be be the same as the turbo?

If you are going to buy new wheels anyway, why not get them with the correct offsets (within reason) and do away with the spacers?  

Yes, the M491 would use the 2 inch Turbo spacers.

I'm asserting C3.2's don't need new wheels.

10 hours ago, Peter M said:

David,
I've run both 23mm hubcentric (H&R and Design Tek (Design 911 inhouse brand) and currently, Porsche 944 21mm spacers with longer studs on my C3.2's

I would be comfortable with anything up to 25mm.  Others are happy to run wider but I'm not.

Unless you are changing the rear wheel bearings or have some other reason to remove the hubs I would just stick with a set of bolt on hubcentrics.

Like 911 above, I was surprised how expensive spacers are now.  I was also surprised that all the plentiful (and cheap!) 944 spacers on eBay have dried up too.  It's probably worth keeping you eye out on the various state Porsche Club classified and here for secondhand spacers as its a common modification. 

I have 6" front rim without spacers.  Many run 7's but I can't see the point as they still run 205's anyway.  Not that I want wider tyres.

Which brings me to the most important part.  Use good tyres that aren't too old.  I think Bridgestone RE003's are the pick for street tyres in terms of price/performance.  They were definitely popular at Luftwasser.  

Yes, the M491 would use the 2 inch Turbo spacers.

I'm asserting C3.2's don't need new wheels.

Thank you Peter. 

I will go with same setup. Can you recommends wheel studs? I don't want to risk getting poor quality. 

I will keep watch for spacers. 

People might run 7s with 205 to fill the guards more maybe? Not sure if offset is same. 

I think this best option. 21mm spacer and extended studs while leaving front as is. 

Surely there is a cheaper alternative, which might even be better quality 30 years on in terms of spacers? OEM ones are like $400 for a used set. 

I think you can just buy OEM wheel studs. Not sure on the length. Assuming you'd just add 21mm to own 3.2 studs length.

11 hours ago, davidtran said:

Thank you Peter. 

I will go with same setup. Can you recommends wheel studs? I don't want to risk getting poor quality. 

I will keep watch for spacers. 

People might run 7s with 205 to fill the guards more maybe? Not sure if offset is same. 

I think this best option. 21mm spacer and extended studs while leaving front as is. 

David,
If you buy a set of hubcentric spacers like H&R's you don't have to change your studs.  Sorry It appears I've caused confusion.

Maybe this will explain it better:

H&R 20mm DRM Wheel Spacers 5x114.3 12x1.5 CB:67.1mm for  Mazda/Dodge/Huyndai/Kia | eBay

11 hours ago, 911 said:

Assuming you'd just add 21mm to own 3.2 studs length.

I reckon that's all I did!

Factory 944 spacers are just plain:

Porsche 944 Wheel Spacers 20mm 477501701 944 Wheel Spacers 20mm 477501701  Yard SF25

12 hours ago, Peter M said:

David,
If you buy a set of hubcentric spacers like H&R's you don't have to change your studs.  Sorry It appears I've caused confusion.

Maybe this will explain it better:

H&R 20mm DRM Wheel Spacers 5x114.3 12x1.5 CB:67.1mm for  Mazda/Dodge/Huyndai/Kia | eBay

I reckon that's all I did!

Factory 944 spacers are just plain:

Porsche 944 Wheel Spacers 20mm 477501701 944 Wheel Spacers 20mm 477501701  Yard SF25

Thank you Peter. The H&R option is very expensive. Will be around $450 shipped. Hardly worths it for some spacers I think. 

I think I found wheel studs. Factory narrow body is 45mm, so you need to buy 66mm studs -https://www.ebay.com/itm/134602175705. I don't know if they are different for front and rear. Some seller list as front. 

By the time you buy the wheel studs and spacers I think you end up at $450 too. 

If same price, what is best option would you say. 

2 hours ago, Peter M said:

David,
Whilst I liked my H&R spacers, the next car had Design 911's inhouse brand Design Tek.  I would be happy to buy these again in 23mm size:

https://www.design911.com/p/wheel-spacers-hubcentric-pcd5x130-inc-studs-and-nuts-for-porsche-15mm-to-75mm/

How come you went from hubcentric to just the spacer with extended studs @Peter M

I've always been paranoid about hubcentric. Especially non reputable brands. 

2 hours ago, 911 said:

How come you went from hubcentric to just the spacer with extended studs @Peter M

I've always been paranoid about hubcentric. Especially non reputable brands. 

I had to take the hubs out to replace the rear wheel bearings anyway and I just like the look of long studs and plain Porsche part numbers spacers!  Not much of a reason I know when the hubcentrics are perfectly safe. 

15 hours ago, Peter M said:

I had to take the hubs out to replace the rear wheel bearings anyway and I just like the look of long studs and plain Porsche part numbers spacers!  Not much of a reason I know when the hubcentrics are perfectly safe. 

Thanks for the designtek option. I purchased a set of 23mm like you said. Was cheapest option too. I think taking the wheel studs out will take hours and I got confused with the stud length for 21mm spacer. Everyone has different length. I think factories spec studs is 45mm. I think 66mm would be the right one, because you add 21mm spacer to 45mm, but I read on pelicansparts that people have 70 and 75mm. Confusing!

Even designtek has 21mm and 23mm spacer. Not sure why you need products with 2mm difference. Would hardly make a difference and just confuses me more? Too much to choose. 

On 04/05/2024 at 09:11, davidtran said:

Thank you Peter. The H&R option is very expensive. Will be around $450 shipped. Hardly worths it for some spacers I think. 

I think I found wheel studs. Factory narrow body is 45mm, so you need to buy 66mm studs -https://www.ebay.com/itm/134602175705. I don't know if they are different for front and rear. Some seller list as front. 

By the time you buy the wheel studs and spacers I think you end up at $450 too. 

If same price, what is best option would you say. 

It is possible to buy bolt on spacers from Nice Products in Mascot. They have a range of spacers bolt-on concentric and std spacers, nuts, longer studs. Check out their Web site.