Thoughts on retrofitting, sports chrono to 997 GT3

mbedford

I own a 2010 997.2 GT3, It is a very optioned up example, but one of the few options it doesn't have is the sports chrono on tge dash.

What is the general opinion on the sports chrono? I've seen mixed feelings on different forums. Some people think it really adds value to the model and is a valuable option to have on your car, particularly for resale, more than function, but i've seen others saying it is ugly, sticking out of the dash, and wish they didn't have it, calling it a 'wart' on their dashboard.

Had one on both the 987 and also the 718.

The 987 one didn't show the time, whilst the 718 version is much better and allows the VIP passenger (SWMBO) to easily see the time. It is also a different white face from the instrument cluster and quite stylish. I doubt their usefulness as a stop watch though in normal use.

Useful description here https://rennlist.com/how-tos/a/porsche-997-what-is-the-sport-chrono-package-376273

It's an interesting topic. Some people swear by sport chrono, but many people here don't rate it. I can't comment because I don't have it, but there is a certain beauty in just starting your car and driving off instead of fiddling with driving modes. What happened to just jump in and drive? Does sport chrono make the car that much better?

4 hours ago, P-Kay said:

My 2c

Realistically it is not about the clock, but more so the software that comes with it. Specifically the Sport button!

I’d always thought that was the point too. More so in PDK cars, to get the faster shifting in those modes… less benefit in a manual…?

31 minutes ago, JWM said:

less benefit in a manual…?

I would have thought the throttle mapping would be similar if not same? There is a definite difference in my 997 with the button pressed! Not forgetting that glorious noise!!! 🤤

As far as shifting the PDK, I can only comment from a 981 perspective and to me, it just feels like the gears are held longer. 

FYI: I just had my butt dyno calibrated last week :Chuckle2:

So for those that are unaware. On the 997 generation GT3, the sports chrono option doesn't provide any extra features/changes, aside from the analogue stopwatch on the dash, and the digital stopwatch on the dash computer, and if you have the PCCM, the digital stopwatch/lap times are on the PCCM display too.

So for the 997 GT3, it is quite a cosmetic thing.

I remember one supercar dealer in Sydney looked at my car once and said, its not as valuable because it doesn't have sports chrono. This seems the opposite to generally what i'm hearing from owners of Porsche's. Generally they say its pretty useless, and some even say its ugly on the dash. But I wanted to get opinions on whether to go for a retrofit addition of one.

22 hours ago, P-Kay said:

I would have thought the throttle mapping would be similar if not same?

Yeah I think so ... Not sure what it's like in a Porsche, but in every car I've ever had with this (BMW, VW, Subaru) it just shitted me by making the throttle overly sensitive ... I feel like they're insulting my intelligence by pretending things are now more "more sporty" just by opening the throttle wider than I asked for with my foot ... I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE UP TO ECU 😂

48 minutes ago, mbedford said:

I remember one supercar dealer in Sydney looked at my car once and said, its not as valuable because it doesn't have sports chrono

This doesn't sound like someone who knows the subject matter very well... 

49 minutes ago, mbedford said:

I wanted to get opinions on whether to go for a retrofit addition of one.

What is your objective of adding it??? 

17 hours ago, P-Kay said:

Does that mean your car already has the sport button?

All 997 GT3's do already. 

Sports chrono on 997 GT3's doesn't change or enable anything drive related. Only the fact you can see it on the dash, and stopwatch functions.