Check Engine Drive To Workshop

NiX

After a run to the Bass Coast yesterday & returning at lunch time today, thought better give the car a wash and remove the bugs etc - once completed.... jumped in an 1 hour later & noticed this..

IMG_0120.jpg

Was all aok on the trip down & back.

Anyone had experience with this message before?

Cheers,

A computer noticed the problem...a computer might have some answers

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/8919-check-engine-drive-workshop.html

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/511710-check-engine-light-and-faulty-light-switch.html

Unfortunately , only those with the right computer can play doctor!

A computer noticed the problem...a computer might have some answers

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/8919-check-engine-drive-workshop.html

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/511710-check-engine-light-and-faulty-light-switch.html

Unfortunately , only those with the right computer can play doctor!

Cheers - read a few other forums as well, seems to be mix of issues, although not arrowed down to 1 specifically.

Oh no, hope its just a glitch Nix :) good luck!

Fingers crossed Amanda!

Interesting posts tazzie 02 sensor, petrol, and ignition switch, among others, non of those too dramatic.

Nick it probably won't work and its a long shot, but turn the ignition key to on and off in quick succession about ten times.

Then start it and see if its still there. I can recall doing that to a couple of work cars in the past when the spanner sign popped up, and it used to clear it.

As I said long shot and hopefully yours is just a glitch in the system.

Good luck with it.

Nix you could try disconnecting the battery and leaving as many things turned as possible to drain all the residual power to drain at least overnight then reconnect the battery and see what happens. I know this will work on some cars, just a little slower than a scan tool! 

Nix you could try disconnecting the battery and leaving as many things turned as possible to drain all the residual power to drain at least overnight then reconnect the battery and see what happens. I know this will work on some cars, just a little slower than a scan tool! 

Thanks Mike, Ill give that a go - no harm in trying & within my mechanical abilities.

May be an idea to look into buying a diagnostic tool called "scanguage " . About $150 and diagnoses all problems when plugged in. Could keep the techs honest !!

Great idea, will look into purchasing one - hopefully not getting used to often.

Appreciate all the advice & feedback guys!!

scangauge.com.au

Aussie distributor. I can't find anything on that for us, although it lists Porsche (spelt Porshe)

Any one used one for a 986? As a code/fault finder?

I see it does the normal computer stuff, plus a bit more,but one forum (not Porsche) says it won't do the trouble shooting on their particular vehicle,

Others say it does.

Appears the company will send you out one to try (you pay first) if it works you send it back and they then send you a brand new one.

They cover postage costs etc. if it doesn't work your money is refunded.

Be great tool if it works for us.

My mate has this little device for his Audi that Bluetooths engine information to his phone and computer if something is wrong.

He is also able to have live updates.

Not sure what its called but I would have a guess its an obi2 device. I wish they made one to read my simple DME.

Nick, if it was my car, I would be taking it straight to Adrian for him to have a look at and sorting out.

Really hope it's nothing serious. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Cheers

C

Nick, if it was my car, I would be taking it straight to Adrian for him to have a look at and sorting out.

Really hope it's nothing serious. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Cheers

C

My thoughts exactly Chris, be calling him first thing in the morning.

Picked up Box this arvo, problem was with the O2 sensor - very pleased it wasn't as expensive as I thought it may have been.

Good stuff Nick, there you go,....that was the first fault mentioned in the first site Tazzieman put up.

Glad it wasn't too painfull. Was it easily found?

Cheers Niko, yes Adrian hooked up his diagnostic tool & found within a few minutes.

Do appreciate everyone's input as well.

Cheers,

Nick

May be an idea to look into buying a diagnostic tool called "scanguage " . About $150 and diagnoses all problems when plugged in. Could keep the techs honest !!

The best tool to keep techs honest is other techs.

I realise (hope) that the above post was at least mostly tongue in cheek, but if you suspect that the tech that you are using is not honest, change techs and take your car elsewhere. I have no qualms about any of the Porsche independents that I deal with - the Aussie Porsche independent community is full of people who do it for the same reason you drive Porsche. It's for the love of the brand.

And now to try and make some sort of positive contribution to the thread... Check Engine Light issues are generally non-critical. As a general rule, orange lights are a warning, red lights are a crisis.

James

Ive actually found all of the posts in this thread quite positive.

Danny

Danny, my comment about making some sort of positive contribution referred only to the rest of my post. It was not a dig at your post, nor at any of the other posters.

Apologies, as it seems that was not how it was read.

James

Archived