Microfiber Cloths - Anyone got a cheaper source?

Ben C3.o

My microfiber towels aren't what they use to be. Some say I wash my cars to often, where as I say if you did a better job at washing your car they wouldn't need washing themselves so often and would last longer. But that's and argument you don't really need to know about.  ;)

Anywho, the ones I have from SCA are great but at $13 each I thought someone here might have sourced some from ebay or the like and had good or bad results they could share. I was thinking a bulk pack as I like to have two for each car, one for the bike and a couple spares. There about $3 each on ebay in bulk but I was wondering if anyone can comment on their quality?

For those who haven't upgraded from a chamois to a microfiber towel you really should try it. So much better but you need to remove the excess water from the car first. I use my mother in laws broom, commonly know and a leaf blower. You could just take the car for a spin around the block before using the towel but beware of your wet breaks.

Cheers

Ben

P.S I don't have a mother in law and haven't met my partners mother so can't confirm or deny if she is old school and rides your typical broom or has upgraded to something more modern.

I bought 2 giant double sided ones from Hoselink.  One cloth dries my Boxster in one go and isn't soaked. In fact, I don't even have to wring the water out of it.  I don't remove excess water from the car either.

Mine did cost more than a few dollars each tho.  But the quality is outstanding and I expect they'll last a very long time.

Ben, I use the 6 pack of microfibre towels from K-mart.  No kidding!  They're fine for drying and detailing.  I forget what they cost but it's 3/8 of bugger all!

I use them to soak up most of the water, then finish off drying with a bigger microfibre towel, if it needs it.

I've got about 12 of them...just keep pulling them out.  If I drop one on the ground, I just get another one out.  Then I chuck them in the washing machine when I'm done.

Thanks for the replies all, next time I am up for a couple of new ones I will order some from ebay and see how they go.

Nathan, depending on which car I am washing/drying I wash them when dirty or I know they might have sand/dirt in them from dropping one or after washing the Ute after bush/beach work. Really, if the car is washed properly then they shouldn't need washing for several car washes. They also get washed by themselves with the microfiber sponge, polarising cloths and pads. Maybe I should wash those last two separate again?

I might have washed them 4 times now since new and they are just like a normal towel so useless for drying the car but fine as polishing cloths. I went to SCA the other day and grabbed a couple of new ones. One will be for the Porsche only from now on to avoid the risk of additional fine scratches.

• 2 weeks later...

for drying the car, I use the large waffle weave microfibre towel from www.carecareproducts.com.au

For spot cleaning and removing hazy wax or sealants, I just use the ones from super cheap or autobarn. Once they are slightly soiled, i put them through the washing machine. 

When working on parts of the car or bike that are dirty/greasy, i only use old rags I get from bunnings and they go in the bin. I try not to use microfibre towels for that sort of thing.

If i could afford to, I'd use microfibres everywhere and throw em out!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We would highly recommend keeping the 'cheaper' cloths for the 'simpler' things that you do.

The reason is simply due to the quality and the harshness of the cloths. They are chinese and as you know textiles from Korea are far superior and of course a little more costly, however the difference is durability, softness and of course longevity (washable/re-usability if you wish to call it).

Quality does make a big difference. 1 slightly more costly cloth will outdo a normal cloth on life very easily!

• 1 year later...

Archived