Fan and Housing cleaner - Gibbs penetrant oil

I've been wondering how to clean up the fan and housing on my 911 without going down the abrasive blast and powder coat road.  I came across many recomendations for Gibbs oil on PP. 

link from PP:

http://www.roadsters.com/gibbs/#intro

Has anyone here in Oz used it? 

Where can I get Gibbs oil in Melbourne?

Melburg Gruppe buy:-

Harvs11

T-man

D-banger

Doish13

Nine93

Cyberpunky

Aimr75

Looks awesome Taz

Thanks , engine has not come out for painting or deep cleansing and it gets driven on a dirt road every time I leave home, Now and again I give it a good lick e.g. before car shows. Not that I do the concours thing!

I've been wondering how to clean up the fan and housing on my 911 without going down the abrasive blast and powder coat road.  I came across many recomendations for Gibbs oil on PP. 

link from PP:

http://www.roadsters.com/gibbs/#intro

Has anyone here in Oz used it? 

Where can I get Gibbs oil in Melbourne?

www.gibbsbrandaustralia.com.au there are a few using it in oz with good results fishcop comes to mind. Though I had thought you needed to clean glass blast? Then use Gibbs ?

www.gibbsbrandaustralia.com.au there are a few using it in oz with good results fishcop comes to mind. Though I had thought you needed to clean glass blast? Then use Gibbs ?

I've asked gibbsbrandaustralia for a list of VIC suppliers with no response.  I also asked at a few local gun shops and they've not heard of the stuff.   One of these stores gave a feeling like walking into the shop in Pulp Fiction.  I just buttoned my lip and left .  There  are 2 Aussie sellers, Wodonga and Qld, but was hoping to find some in Melbourne.

Scoth-brite seems to be the weapon of choice to clean with first.  Steel wool or wire brush is a no-go as it leaves iron deposits in the casting which rusts and creates stress riser points in the surface.

Thanks , engine has not come out for painting or deep cleansing and it gets driven on a dirt road every time I leave home, Now and again I give it a good lick e.g. before car shows. Not that I do the concours thing!

Looks nice and shiny Taz. I'm not into too much bling but I do like my car to look half decent. The cruddy looking fan doesn't help. Gibbs also acts as a protective coating so regular touch ups aren't needed.

Looks good Tassie. Elbow grease works well.

Harvs I'm keen to split the cost if that helps. D

Good thinking Doug. It could be worth buying a case of this stuff and splitting it between the Melburg old timers like you and me. Those water cooled guys wouldn't be interested ;)

I'll check it out this week and work out the cost.

I'd like to keep this to a Melbourne group.   The idea would be a single bulk purchase and local pickup or handover in a darkened backstreet :ph34r:

Doish, happy to include you as long as you have someone to help you get it back to Sydney.(Caver-GOR SMT maybe?)  It defeats the purpose if it needs to be posted interstate again $$$.

Watch this space...

I contacted the Aus supplier today.  There will be a shipment arriving from the US in 3-4 weeks. Until then, he doesn't have much stock, only small pressure packs.  When the stock arrives I will be notified with a price.  

My feeling is that the best value is to buy multiple 1 litre packs and split those between the group.  I would expect 500ml in a spray bottle would do most of us for quite some time.

Just for interest I found a couple of images on PP of Gibbs treated Mg pants.  This is the factory original look that i"m after. Treating Mg parts seems to be the best use as a protective coating/corrosion cleaner. There are reports of varying degrees of success on other materials.

When I get the AUS $ price, I'll PM those on the list and go from there.  

PM me if you would like to be included.  (Melb. locals only, please ) and Doish13 if he drives down to collect it.  ;)

9558950339_44fef6288a_b.jpg
9558950831_f54ac77c75_b.jpg

Archived