Getting around the need for child seat restraint alterations for a 996 imported from the UK

Hi,just received my 996 from the UK and for registration purposes have been told that I will need to have rear child constraint alterations made in rear,bearing in mind that it is not possible to put any kind of child seat into a bucket seat ,and the fact that I waited till my kids were out of them before buying a Porsche due to this how do I get around this problem............any advice welcome

Hi Andrew,

What state are you in? (Apart from frustration)

There's probably not a lot you can do. My understanding is there are any number of stupid requirements that the different state depts require.

At one stage in QLD you had to replace the tyres regardless of the condition.

Even more stupid you could sell the tyres you took off but you just can't leave them on your car.

I reckon the best idea would be to make the change in such a way you can convert it back after getting your certificate.

Did I say that out loud?

All the best.

Bafe

I had a similar requirement when registering mine in the ACT. I could have removed the rear seats and registered as a two seater if I wanted to. Luckily I already had nuts welded into the rear deck, so I just bolts inserted into them and the rego guys were happy with that.

The restraints from my 98  UK car were already there and I'd guess yours are too.

They are hidden under a rear sound deadening mat and all that is needed is a pair of slits to be cut into the mat.

child.jpg

Hi,just received my 996 from the UK and for registration purposes have been told that I will need to have rear child constraint alterations made in rear,bearing in mind that it is not possible to put any kind of child seat into a bucket seat ,and the fact that I waited till my kids were out of them before buying a Porsche due to this how do I get around this problem............any advice welcome

As others have said, check under the rear shelf.

Failing that, it's just a case of drilling holes in the deck and fitting an aftermarket restraint anchor. You can get OEM looking ones.

You mightn't have kids but one day you might have to carry some....best to get it done properly.

If it's coming in as a private import (if you've owned it for 12 months OS) then it shouldnt be an issue.

I'm not sure about the other states but private import or not it is still a requirement to have child restraints in NSW.

I'm not sure about the other states but private import or not it is still a requirement to have child restraints in NSW.

Child restraints required for getting the federal yellow private import sticker - so all states. While certified plate inspection shops might let some other things go through they will insist on child anchors...and rightly so.

Thanks for all the advice from all who replied,Kelly was spot on and the photo helped,they are under the sound deadening mat on the rear shelf,car has just passed Quarantine so should be on the road mid next week,thanks again to all who posted

Good one!  You're so lucky that the mounts were already there.

I brought a personally imported vehicle into NSW back in 1991 and even then it was mandatory to have child seat restraints.  I actually had to have them fitted and provide an engineers certificate before I could register the car.

Happy driving!

Thanks for all the advice from all who replied,Kelly was spot on and the photo helped,they are under the sound deadening mat on the rear shelf,car has just passed Quarantine so should be on the road mid next week,thanks again to all who posted

Glad you got that sorted without additional hassles.

Glad you sorted it, and you definitely can put child seats in a 996... for future reference.

911boysinback_zps2c17c1d1.jpg

Now there's a couple of happy lads and future Porsche enthusiasts :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I just brought my 996 in from the USA, turns out it does not have child restraint points in the back.  And as it is a convertible the engineer cannot just add them, as they will be in the way of the roll over protection.  where are they located on an Australian 996 convertible.?

Archived