And the why are we paying more than them continues..............

Jimmy

Coz they want you to buy Holden's, Ford's, Toyota's and Mitsubishi's.

Yeah, like that has worked! 

And if you believe that then we have a problem.....................

I can tell you with some authority that the locals don't want LCT either. If it was there to protect the locals they would have other "taxes" in place to combat that in the same way S. Korea does and places like Brazil. LCT is a cash cow why give it away?

In the same breath, the Euros are robbing us bling "because they can" as stated by the Mercedes MD,,,,, We are just suckers.

Hmm yes imagine just how 'strong' our local car industry would be if all funds raised through the LCT went to them....

In all seriousness LCT whilst a pain is only a small part of the equation isn't it, you're right Arthur the 'luxury' brands, and I use it loosely for as much as I think VW is a great company and conquering the motoring world a VW is not a luxury vehicle by any means, are taking the poss as we are a captive market partially due to our proximity and partially due to the rules around importation for non-car company types being so restrictive. Imagine if the local car market had to compete against imports or used cars from Europe.... And silly ADR doesn't help, there are many pieces that come together to make our prices stupid, then again it could be worse we could have Singaporean prices for cars....

And if you believe that then we have a problem.....................

I can tell you with some authority that the locals don't want LCT either. If it was there to protect the locals they would have other "taxes" in place to combat that in the same way S. Korea does and places like Brazil. LCT is a cash cow why give it away?

In the same breath, the Euros are robbing us bling "because they can" as stated by the Mercedes MD,,,,, We are just suckers.

Fair point, I'm not well versed in how it works with this sort of thing.

I was merely pointing out that maybe the Australian government want us to buy local instead of imports to help keep the money in Australia.

What would I buy? Nothing local, as we can't compete with European quality, and I have too have quite a well versed knowledge of how car's are put together here being in the car manufacturing industry for quite a few years.

So glad I'm not now though.

In a nutshell, Aussie's get shafted. 'Nuff said

Its a shame, I would seriously be in the market for a new GT3 but i can not stand the thought of paying nearly 3 times as much as they cost in the US.

I guess if you sell something you can charge what you want for it, and to maximise shareholder return you charge what the market will bear. However, I reckon that Porsche could sell two or three times as many cars here if their pricing model was similar to other countries.

Totally agree with you teknostar.

Sell a cup of coffee for $4 and sell 500/day or sell for $3 and sell 1500/day.  I know which one I'd choose...

I'm sure Porsche Australia have done their figures though so perhaps there is something we're missing  :unsure:

There is also the fact that porsche is the most profitable per car marques of the VW group so the markup is big already and then the position that they want a level of exclusivity for their cars so keep prices high to maintain it, they're targeting 200,000 cars by 14-15 or 15-16 can't remember which and this will be through new models and growth into China in particular. Apparently VW are investing €1 billion into Stuttgart for factory upgrades etc.

Archived