You must: Drive an air-cooled 911

f3nr15

Someone posted this short article from Road & Track up on Rennlist -

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/go-you-must-drive-air-cooled-porsche-911

aircooled_final-sm.jpg

I love it when people suddenly get it.

Not everybody gets it.

And I think for those of us that do get it, its quite difficult to explain it to anyone else.

Is it the "Porsche"? The roar of the flat six? The ker-chink of the door closing? Or the oil-and-leather cologne?

Whatever it is, I'm really stuck on these old air-cooled gals!

Ditto - mine arrived yesterday and,,,,,,,,,I get it!

the sound, the smell, the tiny size and steering/handling. And build quality!!! How can a 23 year old car be so tight and smooth. Love it.

Is it the "Porsche"? The roar of the flat six? The ker-chink of the door closing? Or the oil-and-leather cologne?

All of the above. And nailing the gearchange, getting thru that corner quicker than the laws of physics allow, ears ringing after a good drive

Although not exactly the same, in many ways the 944 is the same(if that makes sense) for me(apart from engine pushing from rear obviously) as you just can't explain to ppl about the feel you get through the wheel/seat of the pants, or the superb balance, the fade free brakes that stop on a dime, etc. *There is no substitute* for me, isn't a marketing term, it is simply the truth.

peace

Cyberpunky

edit: PS can someone lend me their air cooled 911 sometime so I can see just how good that is too ? :)

Why'd you buy the 964? Elises are cheap enough. I guess if we all agreed with that sentiment, we'd be posting on the Lotus forums instead ;-)

I've driven an Elise, and yes it was great fun. The popular press would tell you that very few cars in fact would come close.

But I never considered buying one as an aspirational or classic car.

Through twelve years of buying and selling all sorts of sports cars, I've finally found what makes me content -

Horses for courses, I suppose.

Welcome!

Archived