PDK dynamic downshift

Muddy

During the Porsche tour Targa High country a former Porsche Tech and major enthusiast explained to a few of us some of the features of modern Porsche auto transmissions ( PDK and Tiptronic), the most interesting being dynamic downshift and from the reaction and interest not many know about this feature although it is explained in the manual apparently.

As you come into a corner and lift off the accelerator you give it a sharp jab before you brake and transmission drops 2-3 gears instantly depending on the severity of the jab and holds the gear, you can't paddle it anywhere as fast (with the the funny block things or real flappy paddles), I have been experimenting with this and find it makes the car even more fun to drive, you don't have to be in manual mode just give it a quick jab. I have tried it in my golf R32 and DSG won't do it, give it a go and see what you think.

Muddy, I remember the guys in the PDK's raving about it the next day after Warwicks talk, I'd never heard of it before then , Gary in the 991 cab thought it was brilliant. Must go to prove blokes don't read instruction manuals.

I must say that's pretty freaking awesome! wish I could get a sporto to do that automatically lol (but with 3 gears I think i'd quickly be in neutral)

Has anyone heard of 'sport mode' on the Boxster tiptronic? There's apparently a number of different 'maps' - there must be a way to switch between them manually (or force the race one all the time)

Has anyone heard of 'sport mode' on the Boxster tiptronic? There's apparently a number of different 'maps' - there must be a way to switch between them manually (or force the race one all the time)

Yeah Russ, I use Sport mode in my Boxster all the time.  It's engaged when I wear my red Rennsport Cap instead of my normal white cap.

I must say that's pretty freaking awesome! wish I could get a sporto to do that automatically lol (but with 3 gears I think i'd quickly be in neutral)

I'm not sure how the boxster trip works but in my mates bmw 5 series, when you click it into trip (push it left from drive) it engages sport mode. Then when you decide to use trip by shifting yourself, it goes into trip mode.

yeah that's pretty common I think (on an FG falcon too lol) - I'm more talking about 'maps' within the box ECU where it changes shift points vs RPM and a few other variables depending on how hard the car is driven. I think there is an element of "learning" to it, as well as defined maps that determine them

this all came about from speaking to my mechanic who's been trying to work them out for a while

Will give this a go the next time I sit in the seat.

Just back from the Gold Coast and it is warm and blue skies there. Got off the plane at lunch time and it is 16 and raining in Sydney. Why do I live here?

yeah that's pretty common I think (on an FG falcon too lol) - I'm more talking about 'maps' within the box ECU where it changes shift points vs RPM and a few other variables depending on how hard the car is driven. I think there is an element of "learning" to it, as well as defined maps that determine them

this all came about from speaking to my mechanic who's been trying to work them out for a while

Don't knock the that 6 speed auto in the Falcon Russ, it is one of the most bullet proof and sophisticated boxes around.

It is capable to reprogramme all shift points via the ECU among a host of other things, my son has a mechanic mate who has been "playing" with it to try and match it better with the 427 kw of power at the rear wheels of his F6.

• 3 weeks later...

I have given this a couple of goes and to be honest I think it is a "so what" event. If it was to provide you with engine braking courtesy of engine compression then I would say bravo but, alas, it does not.

I have been using this function since I bought my 996.  It is fantastic, scoot into a corner at around 150, give the throttle the quickest of blips and back to 3rd it comes almost instantaneously.  Engine compression braking along with left foot braking and you could stop on a 50 cent piece.  Love it. Merry chrissie all.

Steve

I have been using this function since I bought my 996. It is fantastic, scoot into a corner at around 150, give the throttle the quickest of blips and back to 3rd it comes almost instantaneously. Engine compression braking along with left foot braking and you could stop on a 50 cent piece. Love it. Merry chrissie all.

Steve

991S has no engine braking. It is a huge downer for the car from my perspective. Also, going into a corner at 150 where I live would see you reading about the Porsche owner who got 5 years in the slammer.

• 2 weeks later...

If its meant to mimic hard driving in a manual car it should not give engine braking as that unsettles a car, what you want when going hard into a corner is to brake hard, have the car shift as quickly down into the right gear for the speed that one is travelling at to be directly in the power band of the engine necessary to pull you out with maximum power and gun out of the corner.

Effectively it needs to mimic heel and toe in a manual car ie: downshift quickly and keep the revs up (the blip in rpm you often hear guys do when braking hard at the track into a corner and when simultaneously down shifting) to match the engine speed and ensure there is no engine braking that could destabilize the car or blow the engine with the key effort of braking performed by the pressure on the brake pedal, and to ultimately be in the correct gear to ensure the power band is hit immediately coming out of the corner.

I tried this in SWMBO's little Bimmer 120. It works really well, kicking down a couple of cogs and holding the gear. It helps settle the car thru the corner, pity the 4 pot engine doesn't have enough grunt to have any fun with it.

I have been using this function since I bought my 996.  It is fantastic, scoot into a corner at around 150, give the throttle the quickest of blips and back to 3rd it comes almost instantaneously.  Engine compression braking along with left foot braking and you could stop on a 50 cent piece.  Love it. Merry chrissie all.

Steve

I'm glad I don't live in Longford then Steve!  150 into corners?  Aye carrumba or maybe you mean on the track right?  Or 105km?

:P

How are you enjoying your Cab?  It looks great by the way.

I'm not sure how the boxster trip works but in my mates bmw 5 series, when you click it into trip (push it left from drive) it engages sport mode. Then when you decide to use trip by shifting yourself, it goes into trip mode.

The boxes on the 5 series (and late falcons) have an adaptive shift on them. Drive it like a granny and it will shift early and smoothly. Get up the engine for the rent and the box will start holding gears longer and won't want to downshift even if you lift off. They also seem to have some sort of hill detection in them and will hold lower gears if going down a hill with no throttle applied. Seriously smart and aarently unbreakable bits of gear.

So you can still rustle up the sportier shift patterns without having to manually flick the car into sports mode.

Archived