Another Hollywood star dies in a porsche

Hounddub

Sad to hear the news, but also slighly fascinated by the story the car is unrecognisable it looks to me as though it has split in half when it hit the pole. Certainly it appears to highlight the dangers of high speed in built up area's (if indeed it does turn out to be true that they were street racing).

I recall watching Top Gear UK when Clarkson first drove the GT and I think his comment was along the lines of handles on a "knife Edge'.

Insurance company + coroner will determine the facts .

I don't understand this "lack of skid marks means steering failure" reasoning.

Even if power steering fluid bursts forth, the car should be steerable at city speeds.

Apparently , according to the garage, the car was being investigated for a stalling issue, not a steering problem. 

As for "TMZ’s source believes the mechanical defect must have occurred in the factory and not the auto shop."

...it's all Porsche's fault  :wub: 

And TMZ is well known for it's indepth and investigative reporting.

You could almost guarantee there would be no spin ever coming from them. Not

There is a lot at stake here for the studios as they have F&F 7 in the pipeline.

I would think that the studio spin doctors would be working overtime to soften the impact, no pun intended, and endeavour to portray their star property as a victim. The last thing they need for sales is bad publicity for crazy street driving, the whole franchise is built on that.

The fact still remains they were going far too hard in a built up area on a Saturday afternoon in a car that was incredibly quick and known to be a little iffy when driven on the edge. Jay Leno, Clarkson & the Sting had all experienced how tricky the car was when on the limit.

It really doesn't matter that much if something did let go they were still driving too fast.

The damage to the car absolutely confirms that fact.

Dave

Saw that happening at Le Mans back in 1981 after one of the drivers had crashed and died.

The offending car was towed behind the restaurant on the Mulsanne straight where we were dining and viewing the race.

A couple of blokes started to pull bits from the car when they were noticed and all hell broke loose on them.

People threw rocks and others started chasing them.

They were lucky enough not to be caught as I don't know what would have been their fate if they were.

Did my heart good though to see the respect that the majority of people showed for the deceased driver.

Dave

So will the Carrera GT have Legend status in 50 years like the 550 has that one James Dean died in?

That is assured. Famous Hollywood star associated with racing dies in fast car?

The F40 is a legend partly because of being tricky. Whether that is true or not I don't know.

Tricky cheap cars are ridiculed out of the market. Tricky super cars are lionized.

• 5 months later...

..... "Mrs Rodas’ complaint says her husband was driving the Porsche at 55m/ph (89km/h) before the accident"...

was that before they accelerated to a speed that allowed the car to shear into some pieces and detonate?

Archived