Another Hollywood star dies in a porsche

Hounddub

Just catching the news that the star of the Fast and furious movies, Paul Walker, has died today.

Apparantly he was a passenger in his Carrera GT in a single car accident where they hit a pole/tree.

Another star claimed by a. P-car......albeit, we know the reputation the GT has.

Very sad, 

His survival chances were very slim as it looks like they hit the tree right on his door. And the fire after that.

Sideways across the road, hop the curb... tipping the car and straight into the tree.

... how fast to do that in a Carrera GT?

Car hit a lampost then tree from what I heard.

Horrific accident, clearly a lot of speed there.  May he RIP.

I believe this is the last picture of him. Whilst we all know what the Carrera GT looks like, actually seeing a photo of one and then looking at the wreck above its just unfathomable that that is the same car.

rs_1024x759-131201101707-1024.Paul-Walke

Very sad indeed :(  

I remember when the first Fast and furious film came out back in 2001 and it hit a real niche in the market.  It wasn't to everyone's taste of course but never the less they were films that I feel car enthusiasts in general gave a look at.

From various sources it seems that Paul was actually quite a competent driver as well.  He must also have been quite a nice bloke to throw the keys to his Carrera GT to a friend but unfortunately this time the worst case scenario has played out.  

RIP Paul Walker

I read the guy driving was actually a professional racing driver which goes to show that pushing a car like that should only be done on a race track, no matter your skill level. Very sad regardless

R.I.P 

Yes his business partner Roger Rodas

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2013/12/02/05/52/speed-a-factor-in-paul-walker-s-death

At the risk of being a b#%$&*#d I find it hard to to be real sympathetic.

It looks as though the accident happened in a built up area in what is more than likely somewhere in LA.and on a Saturday afternoon.

Granted it is sad they were killed, that really goes without saying but that thing must have been fair flying to do that much damage.

Imagine if someone's kids were riding their push bikes in between that car and the pole.

It claimed the lives of two very privileged men that should have been old enough to know better.

I wonder if the outpourings would be so caring if was a couple yahoos in a Commodore on a Melbourne street imitating their Fast and Furious heroes

Would the reaction from the general public be so generous.

I think I already know the answer.

Dave

No it's both their faults.

He owned the car, he should have told his mate to pull it back a peg or two.

If human nature is anything to go by he may have even been egging his mate on.

They were both as guilty as one another.

Dave

Sorry Dave but you can't possibly know what happened inside that car. Yes I understand your POV but to assume any passenger has a say in what actions a drivers takes, anytime, and in this case where we just don't know, is assuming a lot. He may have been pleading with him to pull it back a peg when it happened, we just don't know

peace

Cyberpunky

Fair enough I 'll pull back now I've had my say.

Just for the record though I didn't say that was what happened inside the car I only offered it up as a possibility. 

I like many others have misbehaved behind the wheel and listened to a few conversations while some someone else has been doing it.

Those sort of conversations are not out of the realms of possibility in a speeding car

But I grew up and realised the errors of my ways.

However, if you don't see the point in taking issue, fair enough.

Let's just hope that none of your friends and family succumb to this sort of stupidity.
Dave

You may well be right about what transpired in the car and I agree if it was just a couple of blikes in a commodore there would be none of this outpouring but I took issue with you saying they were as guilty as each other. Personally i have had situations were I have pleaded for an idiot mate to back off and  was just lucky we didn't crash.

For many he was the face of this generations car culture, which is different to those that went before it like mine was different to my fathers, and so his loss is felt by many. Fast and furious movies clicked with a generation unlike any other car movie of the era, just like bullet before that or Ronin or le mans etc. I guess all of us here are car enthusiasts and we have more in common with him(Paul Walker) than ppl who just view a car as transport and will never understand us.

peace

Regardless of what happened in the car - families and friends are impacted by this, and for that alone this is a tragedy. Just like it is with any loss of life in a car accident. The people left behind are the victims.

Also, I told a few Melbournians about the drive my brother had in my P car. I knew I wasn't happy with what was happening at the time but you are in a situation that can go pear shaped very quickly and yelling or any distraction can end just like this did. I was lucky that all was ok but I learned a valuable lesson and will be careful about who I let drive my car from now on.

Certainly a tragic loss for both families and fans of Walker and his movies.

We are all F&F fans at home and will miss him in "7".

It's a timely reminder that none of us are invincible and when we push the limits, bad sh*t sometimes happens.

There is NO doubt in my mind that you need to be punching some serious speed to leave that mess, and in a residential zone. Crazy stuff.

And all the while in a Carrera GT which has a reputation for snap oversteer.

But who really knows what happened.

I can assure you all that they weren't doing the posted 35mph. But would you???

It will be interesting to see what details come out regarding the causes of the accident, regardless indeed a tragedy.

Both obviously experienced drivers, someone has just got a bit too excited and caught out. It is lucky no one else was hurt, other cars on the road pedestrians etc. as this looks like it all happened pretty quickly.

Hopefully others will learn from it.

Toxicology will not be of much help. Whatever , it's a mess for the family and that includes the subsequent insurance wrangling. Hopefully some people learn from this unfortunate incident. 

Here is also a full explanation from Jason Robinson on Facebook:

This happened at a business park located in Rye Canyon near Santa Clarita, California.

During a car show that Paul was using to support his charity “Reach Out Worldwide”, Paul and Roger Rodas (The Owner) of Always Evolving Performance, where the event was held decided to take his red Porsche for a spin.

They left the AEP parking lot turning right onto Alta Vista Ave. They then turned right onto Constellation Rd, and then right again onto Kelly Johnson Pkwy where the driver began testing the limits of the Porsche.

Northbound Kelly Johnson Pkwy has a small s curve and a wide sweeping right turn that turns into Hercules St. This business park loop is infamous for drivers using it as a race track and the “Hercules Curve” is where they test their drifting skills.

Paul and Roger’s speed was far too fast into the curve and the car’s rear end kicked out toward the driver side. The driver then over corrected and the passenger side rear end kicked out to the passenger side.

Sliding sideways at high speed, the car hit a light pole directly on the passenger door where Paul was sitting and the car was split/wrapped around the pole.

The fire was a result of the initial impact with the pole, as the force of the impact tore open pressurized fuel lines and the fuel tank, throwing burning gasoline all over the vehicle. The car continued to burn as it came to a sliding stop on a small tree.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2516403/Porsche-supercar-crashed-claimed-life-Fast--Furious-actor-Paul-Walker-involved-street-race-moments-earlier-says-witness-stars-father-reveals-familys-heartache.html

The supercar that actor Paul Walker was in when he died was racing another vehicle at speeds of more than 100mph when the fatal crash occurred, witnesses claim.

Police are investigating tip-offs from possible witnesses that the Porsche's owner Roger Rodas, who also perished in the crash, was in the middle of a street race at the time,

Sources linked to Always Evolving - the shop co-owned by Walker and the Porsche driver Roger Rodas - told TMZ they saw evidence of a fluid burst and subsequent fluid trail before the skid marks at the accident site.

They said the noticeable lack of skid marks until just before the crash site suggest the driver may have lost control of the steering. On top of that, they appear in a straight line, not in a swerve pattern as normally occurs when a driver loses control of a car.

The sources also told the website that the flames spread so quickly to the front of the car reinforces their theory of a steering fluid leak. The engine of a Porsche Carrera is at the back of the vehicle.

http://jalopnik.com/the-leno-clip-is-nuts-hard-to-tell-from-that-perspecti-1475096159/@Plays-With-Cars

Porsche's famed test driver Walter Rohrl was scared of it. A former manager at Porsche has called the CGT "the most dangerous car on the road."   During the development of the Carrera GT, famed Porsche tester and man with gigantic brass attachments Walter Rohrl told Australian website Drive that he was actually scared of the carand wanted them to fit traction control because of the unpredictable behavior at the limit:P

Former world rally champion and Porsche test driver Walter Rohrl told
Drive
 the new Porsche supercar is "the first car in my life that I drive and I feel scared".

Earlier this year, Rohrl said, the engineering team was about to cancel a day's testing at the famous Nurburgring circuit because of wet weather. But, Rohrl said, when he insisted the car had to be tested in slippery conditions, he discovered the car's daunting performance.

"I came back into the pits and I was white," Rohrl said. "I immediately said to the engineers that we need one button for the wet and one button for the dry", referring to the need for a traction control switch.

Archived