Water extraction from interior floor

FlatSix

Hey all, after a great day of sliding all over the place at the skidpan on Saturday I now have a slight water issue. On the way home I turned on the stereo and my rear speakers started popping and crackling. The amp for the rears is mounted under the drivers seat, so I had a look and the floor is saturated :0. The amp has been glued to the floor insulation (???) and when i push down on the floor water just oozes out.

So my question is, does anyone have any effective solutions for removing the water, or is getting someone in with a water extractor my only way to go?

if you can get a heap of silica crystals in bowls and leave them in the car, and get some airflow going (which is probably what the extraction systems do anyway) maybe with the combo of a wetvac

I pulled all my carpets and insulation out to get them to dry - I think mine came in under the dash from the bonnet seal

yeah I think so, if you get the silica based one (not the crushed paper one)

The silica just absorbs moisture from the air and I've seen it in cars in long term storage in large blocks

I'd see if you can get the mats out, then get a wet vac to wash the stale water out, then get a heap of bowls of silica and some airflow (or some professional extraction) lol

I had a damp spot in the drivers footwell after enduring 6 hours of torrential rain when I drove back from Adelaide where I purchased the car..I pulled back the carpet and soaked up as much as icould with rags then gave it a thorough blowdry with the hairdryer until everything was bone dry...haven't driven in the rain since!!

I've managed to get most of it out with newspaper, heat gun and the biggest bucket of damprid I have ever seen. I think the amp for the rear speakers is toast but the 4 channel running the fronts is fine. I think I will just wire the rears into that. 2 seperate amps under the seat seem overkill for a seldom used component anyway :) It should be all dried out in time for round 2 in March!

• 2 weeks later...

I had an old beema years ago that did that. Turned out that the drain tubes for the sunroof had clogged up & somehow all the water was running down and ending up in the floor behind the passenger seat in my case.

The trick to fix this one is whipper snipper line, fed down the tubes like a drain snake, until they unclog. And thn never, ever , park your car under a tree.

Archived