Mark Webber in a good car at last

CarreraG50

Mark Webber has received an early first taste of the Porsche he'll drive in next year's World Endurance Championship.

Having recently completed his 12-year Formula One career, Webber got behind the wheel of the new LMP1 race car at a test day in Algarve, Portugal.

While still contracted to F1 team Red Bull Racing until the end of 2013, the Australian was given the green light to complete the test for the German manufacturer.

He hadn't been scheduled to drive the car until January, when he officially joins the Porsche factory team.

"My first day in this fascinating project was an intense experience for me," Webber said in a statement.

"I would like to thank Red Bull Racing for giving me the chance to join the project so early.

"This is a major and important step for us all. It allows me to integrate with the team quicker and to contribute to further developing the LMP1 race car.

"We have a long way to go and it involves a lot of hard work. I have no misconceptions about this."

Head of Porsche LMP1 Fritz Enzinger said he was "delighted" to have Webber in the team for the final scheduled test of the year.

Webber is one of four confirmed drivers for the two-car, six-driver Porsche LMP1 campaign - alongside Germany's Timo Bernhard, Frenchman Romain Dumas and Switzerland's Neel Jani.

Two more drivers are expected to be announced this weekend.

The 37-year-old Webber wrapped up his 12-year F1 career with a second-place finish behind teammate Sebastian Vettel at the Brazilian GP last month.

I suppose you also believe that the world trade centre bombings were a U.S Government conspiracy

No, but I did see Lord Lucan the other day sitting on a grassy knoll asking for directions to Roswell?.

He tried to convince me that Helmut Marko was always Mark's biggest fan in the Red Bull team but I told him I am not that gullible to believe a story like that :-).

No, but I did see Lord Lucan the other day sitting on a grassy knoll asking for directions to Roswell?.

He tried to convince me that Helmut Marko was always Mark's biggest fan in the Red Bull team but I told him I am not that gullible to believe a story like that :-).

Really, what was he wearing?

No like this comments.  Is button push for this to register most bad post? UNLIKE.

This was not meant as a comment on Mark Webber's driving ability, only the

quality of the car he was given.

Per these quote's "Maybe the headline should have read 'Mark Webber and his team mates given equal machinery'. &

"Mark Webber in a good car at last"

Per these quote's "Maybe the headline should have read 'Mark Webber and his team mates given equal machinery'. &

can you explain the difference in machinery between Webber and Vettel's cars?

as far as i was aware, same engine, same tyres, same chassis, same brakes, same gearbox, same suspension, same steering wheel

can you explain the difference in machinery between Webber and Vettel's cars?

as far as i was aware, same engine, same tyres, same chassis, same brakes, same gearbox, same suspension, same steering wheel

Sebastian Vettel has been torching the competition this year thanks to a secret technology developed by Red Bull Racing.  Red Bull  have proven once again why it’s the best team on the circuit. Yet perhaps the most interesting question about a possibly heretofore unheard of technology is why the team hasn’t made it available to Vettel’s teammate, Mark Webber.

The clearest evidence came two weeks ago in Singapore when Vettel won with an absurd 32-second lead. That’s an astounding feat, and it may be no coincidence that during that race Vettel’s engine made a noticeably different sound when he exited corners. The grinding noise that comes from his car is unique among the cars on the track. Vettel’s Red Bull teammate, Mark Webber's engine doesn’t emit any grinding. and to my ear sounds no different from any of the non-Vettel cars.

(This from a well respected F1 Magazine)

this is like saying that all Mike Tyson`s opponents had Crappy Boxing Gloves

Sebastian Vettel has been torching the competition this year thanks to a secret technology developed by Red Bull Racing.  Red Bull  have proven once again why it’s the best team on the circuit. Yet perhaps the most interesting question about a possibly heretofore unheard of technology is why the team hasn’t made it available to Vettel’s teammate, Mark Webber.

The clearest evidence came two weeks ago in Singapore when Vettel won with an absurd 32-second lead. That’s an astounding feat, and it may be no coincidence that during that race Vettel’s engine made a noticeably different sound when he exited corners. The grinding noise that comes from his car is unique among the cars on the track. Vettel’s Red Bull teammate, Mark Webber's engine doesn’t emit any grinding. and to my ear sounds no different from any of the non-Vettel cars.

(This from a well respected F1 Magazine)

so basically your basing your view on comments a magazine has made, and where there is no actual proof of this "secret" technology.

In most respects the cars were the same, in others completely different which was based primarily on the strategy of each driver, ie different downforce setup etc. there were however examples of them testing new gear on marks car over sebs and if it worked it would end up on sebs later.

I think the real issue was the way the team managed the drivers with Pitt strategy and other elements leaning towards seb not to mention the multi 21 incident. I think mark was unlucky not to do better some relating to favouritism, some his own doing such as poor starts and tyre management and the rest just bad luck.

With the move to porsche and the nature of the race at Le Mans I think the title should be that he's joined a team with one aim, a real team, no matter how you look at it F1 teams are as much a team as Rudd and Gillard were, same intent but fighting it out between the two drivers for personal glory.

I think it always boiled down to the fact that they had to have a bet 'each way' and would run one setup in seb's car, and one setup in marks car

however, when you look at his results for the year it can't just be one thing - how does a wheel come off so often in top level motorsport?

(made before the final round of the year)

BWFAl5fCMAEKRpd.png

so basically your basing your view on comments a magazine has made, and where there is no actual proof of this "secret" technology.

there's a lot of talk about this on a lot of different F1 sites, I don't know if there's any real proof - but talk of engine management controlling the engine to a form of traction control

there's a lot of talk about this on a lot of different F1 sites, I don't know if there's any real proof - but talk of engine management controlling the engine to a form of traction control

It's not a conspiracy at all, and it's pretty obvious they put soemthing into Vettels car. Mark was the no2 driver, and as such preferential strategies were given to Vettel, as well as any new pieces that arrived from the factory were put on Vettels car first. When Mark won the British GP, and made his 'not bad for a no2' comment, it was because they gave the new front wing to Vettel only.

The traction control thing appears to be using Kers regeneration to damp the power of the wheel based on suspension movement- ie, when a bump is hit, the Kers harvesting is activated to reduce the torque and prevent wheelspin. It's likely Mark didn't get this so he couldn't leak the details after leaving the team. The reason Red Bull kept him on despite offers from other teams as they go to extraordinary lengths to keep everyone inthe tent.

Vettel is clearly a superior driver with huge natural talent, but the results don't reflect just how close Webber was most of the time. The preference given want much, but win/2nd is often only a couple of percent difference.

IMO the thing that did Webber in was his failure to fully adjust to the Pirellis. Vettel always got more from his tyres, and that's how he won more. But the preferential treatment was there and does provide a challenge for a no2 driver.

Then you should be say car is seconds, not Webbers.  The German one Fettel bad man, centre of universe complex, like small cying babies.   

• 2 weeks later...

Archived