10 things I have learnt from my first year with my 993

Had my car for just over 12 months, and here is my summary.

1. Always get a PPI. Always. Had i done a PPI prior i probably would have chosen another car, but then again i might still be waiting.

2. Drop the tip into 3rd gear, not D, and she starts in 1st gear from traffic lights.

3. Power window switches are consumables.

4. The engine is BEHIND the rear axle. Combine that with a wet road and an overly enthusiastic driver used to AWD and......you know the rest.

5. My insurance value now matches the cost of the car.

6. Don't track Porsche 911 expenses through its own account in your accounting system. Actually, best not to add the invoices up at all.

7. Change gears at 4,000rpm. Keeps the oil moving ans sloshing around the engine, but why do i need any gear higher than second around Melbourne?

8. Oil level gauge is supoosed to show empty while.driving. Gotta stop on a level surface, warm engine and wait 20seconds.

9. Almost impossible to check the oil level on a 993 through the 70metre long dipstick. Did try the torch with limited success.

10. Any drive is a lot of fun. I also drive a VW R36, which is faster, more comfortable, sticks to the road and has heated seats. Yet it is quite boring. The 911 is an event at any speed.

BBC

Can I add one I learnt on a Porsche drive day?

Flap the throttle to the floor very briefly when you are heading into a good set of corners, and the Tiptronic brain will drop into sports mode and give you a really good surprise. Down a gear or two and into it!! Great fun. Don't know why they don't tell people about this but every Porsche salesman I've met has no idea of it.

Try it when you've got the new motor run in. I think you'll like it........

Chris - god bless Apple predictive text & me multi-tasking...... Amen should have been........ LOL

I think most of us 'got' what you meant and presumed that you were just being a sensitive, new age guy. Sorry SNAG.  Sorry again. SNAP.  Sensitive new age Person.

Thanks Chris - nice list. One I've learnt recently is that you can rev match on downshifts with a tiptronic - makes those sporty downshifts much nicer.

Simon I've not tried that trick yet, but hoping to try it out this week at Eastern Creek! It is mentioned in the owners manual, so surprising more people don't know about it.

G.

• 1 month later...

Hi Simon

Returning to the Porsche faturnaty after 26 years, wifes Idea is to buy a Trip, however I am still yet to try one so great tips thank you.

Any one In Sydney intersted in chatting to a tire kicker about there 993.

Cheers

Graeme

Archived