Car Names great and not so great

In another thread ppl were discussing some poor and some interesting car names like the *Gaylord Gladiator* and the *Nissan Cedric*, so I thought I'd start a thread we can post all those unusal, or cool, or really bad car names manufactures choose for their vehicles

Can't understand how an Australian Car Manufacturer can name its model after a Californian Beach: "Malibu".  Sorry, that should read ex Australian Car Manufacturer.  What's next??  A "Gangnam Commodore"???

Guest hepkat63

Not sure what moron thought this up , but the last time I saw one of these cars, i couldn't stop laughing for an hour ...  the old Mitsubishi Toppo Guppy 

Not a bad name as such but apparently(and not sure if true) but the Mitsubishi Starion was called that because that's how the big boss who named it tried to say Stallion and no one dared correct him.

some others I never quite understood

Daihatsu Charade

AMC Gremlin

and the Ford Ka was like they  couldn't even be bothered trying

Not a bad name as such but apparently(and not sure if true) but the Mitsubishi Starion was called that because that's how the big boss who named it tried to say Stallion and no one dared correct him.

Correct, mostly

When I worked at Mitsubishi, a mate's dad was top management.

He was advised via phone call that 'Starion' was to be the name. He, and most of other upper management thought it was a great name!

Anyway, badges were designed and ordered, press releases and all marketing material was printed up before the Japanese arrived for the car's release. Including like a prancing horse for one badge if I remember correctly.

'Apparently', the Mitsubishi head honcho from Japan nearly keeled over from laughing when he advised that it SHOULD have been named 'Stallion' through an interpreter.

That's what I was told quite a few years ago, and yes, the assimilation between the Colt and Stallion is also correct. See below from Wikipedia

I was also told this was true too, so it's up to you to decide which is correct

The "Starion" name is claimed by Mitsubishi to be a contraction of "Star of Orion", although an urban legend claims that it was intended to be stallion, as a result of an "Engrish" mistranslation.[2][3]

Automotive journalist Paul Niedermeyer points out that an early Japanese television commercial for the Starion had a closing logo featuring the profile of a stallion's head with the word "Starion" below it. The translation of the commercial describes the name as referring to a star and the mythical horse, Arion.[4] The Mitsubishi Colt and Mitsubishi Eclipse also had equine-related names, with the Eclipse being named after the champion racehorse.

As a kid we had a mate who was very easy to fool. We told him Vauxhall had released a new model called the Vauxhall Vulva. He went home and told his folks. His father phoned my father and the next thing I know I was grounded for a week.

Archived