His name is Jacques Lefriant, and he is one of only a handful of people that can rebuild a 4 cam

motor(properly).

Eccentric, but willing to help, has been in the same shop 30+years, only meets customers by appointment.

Shop is in San Francisco, from what I understand.

G50,

Yes, I thought there would be something like that the way he lovingly handled the spares & the collection of gearboxes, radiators etc he has collected. He must have a part for everything & I'll bet the knows where every single part is. It's just the fact that he will never get around to restoring all those cars in his lifetime. I think it's something we all fail (don't want to admit) to acknowledge as we get older that "we ain't what we used to be". I hope he has a protege in the wings but I didn't see any evidence of that. Wouldn't you love to have the time to sign up for an apprenticeship there?

What a damn shame those iconic cars may end up going to god some day and all that good German metal could be melted down and turn up in a refrigerator or something, what a waste.

Reminds me of a guy in Newcastle who has heaps of Kombi's wasting away in his backyard but will not part with anything off them, they have been there for years, shame really when there are lot's of people willing to bring them back to life.   

Yeah, theres a bloke with a couple of early 50's Samba Kombi's here in Adelaide (they have the windows in the roof for the uneducated)

VERY rare kombi's that fetch upwards of 100k for a decent one.

I've spoken to him once. His philosophy is  'They'll be worth some money one day'!

Errrrr, they are now mate! He'll never sell them though

I understand people don't like to sell some cars or whatever,but really, a quad cam just sitting there among a pile of other rare cars? Weird

Archived