How to: install auxiliary audio input cable in a 993 (Blaupunkt CD30)

This is a basic job, but without the right tools it's a bit tricky... anyway, documenting for those that might need to do the same at some point.

1. Buy a cable like this from ebay - this one cost $5.99 with free shipping.

blaupunktcable.jpg

2. Build yourself some removal pins using your finest eye measurements, a coat hanger and a pair of snips. Basically you need the pins to insert cleanly into the two holes on either side of the stereo unit

pins.jpg

3. Remove the front faceplate (optional, but I didn't want to accidentally scratch it)

4. Insert the pins until you feel them pass a friction point which should be the locking mechanism- approx 50-60mm into the holes

pinsinserted.jpg

The locking mechanism before pins inserted (this was taken with the stereo out for illustrative purposes!)

detent.jpg

Pins inserted

detentpins.jpg

5. With the factory pins you press outwards on the pins and pull the stereo out, but with the coat hanger pins that didn't work, so I simply reached in behind the dash and pushed the stereo from behind. It came out without a single swear-word being uttered.

6. The cables connected to the stereo aren't very long, so you can't remove it out very far - but there's enough to rotate the unit and reach in and connect the aux input cable.

cableconnected.jpg

7. Feed the remainder of the cable in behind the stereo and pull it through and down so it's accessible from below the dash.

8. Re-insert stereo, plug in your audio device of choice and pump up the volume!

My plan is to hook up an Airport Express so I can stream music over Wifi, so getting the aux cable connected is step 1 of that project.

Cheers,

Airplay would be good for you as you don't have iPod/iPhone connectivity. I thought about it, But because I do have that feature, I'd find it that it just would be an inconvenience playing with my phone to change the song when I can do it via the headunit.  

Cool though when you can say "check this out" to your friends ;)

Airplay would be good for you as you don't have iPod/iPhone connectivity. I thought about it, But because I do have that feature, I'd find it that it just would be an inconvenience playing with my phone to change the song when I can do it via the headunit.  

Cool though when you can say "check this out" to your friends ;)

Especially when it'll look totally stock!

another alternative is to source an fm transmitter for around $7-00 and plug that into the base of the ipod/iphone then listen through the stereo. Im hoping it will give a better quality sound then the old 3mm pin that I had to use in the work hilux :(

Those guys at mighty car mods seem to have some interesting ideas. And Aussie as well!

Take an hour or so and watch a few of their videos. They do some pretty interesting stuff!

another alternative is to source an fm transmitter for around $7-00 and plug that into the base of the ipod/iphone then listen through the stereo. Im hoping it will give a better quality sound then the old 3mm pin that I had to use in the work hilux :(

i have a belkin transmitter. It's good. But has it's flaws. It was $60. My mate picked up a cheaper brand one and the quality just went down. 

The MCM guys take a lot of credit but that AirPlay hack has been around on other forums for a while... MCM do a nice presentation of it although they really should give some credit to the original work..

I was going to use a Bluetooth dongle I have that handles audio, but BT audio is compressed so the Wifi option is much better. The FM transmitters work OK too I guess... but the one I have (cheap ebay job) didn't give a very clean signal hence the hunt for something better.

Mind you now that I have the cable... part of me says "why do you need anything else?". Of course the correct answer is "because I can".

Cheers,

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got the Airport Express hooked up so I now have AirPlay in my 993 - sweet! I did it a bit different to the MCM guys - I used a more sturdy 12v/3.3v regulator pack that fits neatly inside the AirPort Express so no USB adaptor messing about. The whole thing is hidden up under the dash, so you can't see a thing. I did orient the AEX so I can see the power LED if I stick my head under the dash.

aex.jpg

Finally got the Airport Express hooked up so I now have AirPlay in my 993 - sweet! I did it a bit different to the MCM guys - I used a more sturdy 12v/3.3v regulator pack that fits neatly inside the AirPort Express so no USB adaptor messing about. The whole thing is hidden up under the dash, so you can't see a thing. I did orient the AEX so I can see the power LED if I stick my head under the dash.

aex.jpg

That`s really cool, that tech wasn`t available when I installed an Alpine I pod/ radio player in mine, keep us updated on how well it all works as I may do the same to my std system

Archived