3.2 vs 964

Black Pearl

Apologies if this has been posted before. 

For the past 5 months I've been looking for that elusive 911. My focus has been on 3.2's given it will be more than a Sunday car but perhaps not every day use. Obviously I'm looking for the hard to get Aussie delivered, manual, coupe with Fuchs in excellent condition and preferably one that has had all the money already spent on it.....As you all know such example are sitting at every car yard....

Before I begin to choose which criteria and can live with out, I'm wondering whether I should broaden my search to 964's.

Anyhow I'd be interested to hear from the collective wisdom on some of the differences between the models...

• price variance and relative availability
  • reliability and maintenance costs of a 964 compared to 3.2
  • issues/benefits of a "2" vs a "4"
  • should I be concerns with a convertible? pros and cons?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Cheers Bobbie

i found the 3.2 a lazier engine. useful torque over the 3.0L sure, but i kinda missed the reviness. 3.6 is quite some way ahead imo.

I havent driven a 964.. curious have you driven later model 3.2's or the earlier ones? I found the 3.2 i had to be very responsive and pretty quick

I have had a 2.7, a late model 3.2 and the 964.

My first drive in the 964 I thought "I am going to lose my licence in this car". it was so much more powerful and responsive than the 3.2. the handling was way better (not so much under-steer) and the air conditioner almost works on a hot day.

The 3.2 was rated at 235 HP and the 964 is rated at 250 HP-either the 3.2 was under performing or the 964 was just better but it felt like a whole lot more than 15 HP difference.

If you can find one and the budget allows for it go for the 964.

T

I havent driven a 964.. curious have you driven later model 3.2's or the earlier ones? I found the 3.2 i had to be very responsive and pretty quick

The pre emission 3.2 is much more lively and quicker than the 1986 onwards engine and l prefer it to the 3.6 964.

oh it still is for sure, but by comparison the 3.6 felt like more everything, everywhere :D

could have been a late model 3.2, i didn't know at the time.

i have a 3.6 in my SC so it feels punchier again than the  964 i drove.

Depends on what driving experience you're after. I'd take an SC over a 3.2 personally because I like how the engine feels a bit more eager...

Perhaps its just my 964, but it definitely feels heavier than the G series cars I've driven. Its also boardering on modern, so of you're going for a 'classic' car its still a few moments out. (Also dosent qualify for the 30 year 'classic' label).

It does Seem a bit less common than the G series cars if that matters to you. A compatible G series might also cost you a bit less.

Anyway...I doubt you'd regret either choice.

I love my 964, but I'm still in the honeymoon period...

(Are you looking at that red C4 in QLD? Its been there for quite a while...)

Been happy with my 964 but haven't driven a 3.2 to compare. The 964 does feel heavy relative to what I expected, no doubt earlier cars would feel more lightweight but then it has the extra grunt to balance it out. I liked the idea of new gen suspension in the 964 and a/c that's supposed to work (albeit mine needs overhaul!). I also liked the 964 RS look as something different from classics and 996/997 that are more common.

964 C2 manual coupes are pretty thin on the ground so (I hope) prices will continue to grow. Lots of C4s and autos and cabs around including a couple of C2 cabs in the 30k range which seems good buying if they are any good and if that's what you want. But if you want a rear wheel drive manual coupe you might be waiting a while and paying a premium for a good un (but I guess that's porsche buying generally)

My 2 cents, pre 86 3.2's definetly feel gruntier than the later ones (although 89's I believe are back up to 231bhp. Mine is a 217hp 87 with a cat (have the brusch cat by-pass pipe ready to go) and in a rolling start with a mates 84, the earlier car pulls away, not by a huge amount but definetly quicker...

964's for me are another step up from earlier 3.2's and combine the extra bhp and G50 box and they are beasts..I love 964 C2 manuals and nearly bought one but was stretching by budget a little. I think with 964's the later ones are slightly better than the 89/90's but the age old rule applies..,buy the best you can afford. Personally a G50 equipped 87 with 217 bhp is more than enough for me with my limited driving skills. 964's with power assisted steering are a little easier around town, but the 3.2 (and don't discount a great SC) feel a bit more old school. Either way find a good one and you can't go wrong with either.

Depends on what driving experience you're after. I'd take an SC over a 3.2 personally because I like how the engine feels a bit more eager...

It was the other way around for me having driven my 3.2 and an SC.. only ever drove the one SC though

Archived