Crazy town prices

webrest

Is it just me or is it rich Americans just going crazy at auctions. 

This is a very recent result from Scottsdale

1965-Porsche-9111-620x409.jpg

Lot # 149 1965 Porsche 911 Coupe; S/N 302226; Engine # 902350; Irish Green/Beige leatherette; Estimate $55,000-$75,000; Unrestored original, 4- condition; Hammered Sold at $106,000 plus commission of 10.00%; Final Price $116,600. No Reserve. 1991/130hp, 2×2 Solex, 5-speed. – Rust gaps down both sides, the catalog states ‘no major rust or previous rust repairs have been found’ because they’re all too obviously going to be needed. Runs and drives, but needs everything. – At this price the new owner can’t touch this car without going further underwater, a completely silly number that conflates ‘barn find’ with ‘desirable.’ Wrong. This is a $40,000 car that will easily cost a hundred grand to be presentable and usable, and be worth no more than $200,000 even with egregious inflation factored it. Ratty barn finds were the hot item in Scottsdale this year. Everyone had them, and everyone got restored car money for them. It makes no sense. (photo: Bonhams)

And now another.

​What am I missing in the green car? Is it because of it's early production.

He could have had this one for $1100 less.

Does the earlier model command such a premium? 

Obviously money is of no concern but to me it just doesn't make sense. 

Even the reporter couldn't see the logic.

If it had an amazing track history or celebrity status maybe but the green car appears to just be a conventional cooking model.

Dave

154_Porsche_1967_911_Coupe_306528900-620

Lot # 154 1967 Porsche 911 Coupe, Body by; S/N 306528; Engine # 909869; Light Ivory/Black leatherette; Estimate $120,000 – $160,000; Recent restoration, 2 condition; Hammered Sold at $105,000 plus commission of 10.00%; Final Price $115,500. 1991/130hp, 5-speed, dated wheels, crested hubcaps, Bosch headlights, fog lights, rear wiper, jack and tool roll, no radio, Porsche Certificate of Authenticity. – Accurate and thorough restoration of a solid early 911 believed always in California. The devil’s in the details and this car presented extremely well. – Even at less than the low estimate, the price paid here was strong. Of course, early 911s are currently some of the quickest cars in the market and this result may be an anticipatory acquisition that will surface from slightly underwater in a year.

That would be the only way I could see it being worth that kind of money.

:lol:

It is amazing to see what these cars are fetching. Its hard to have an educated opinion on values now as they are so variable? 

don't discount the premium which comes with a conflated ego. certain auction environments are noted for it :)

though early cars = $. more so if in the first 1000, even without been owned by Barbara Streisand when she dated Walter Rorhl

I wonder what an equivalent OZ car say at throttle your wallet shop would be or at auction?

a parallel? Housing market a little whiles back showed a trend where unrestored read train wreck, could equal or better the pricing on tidy or tarted up palaces...

Everyone wants as early 60's as they can find 65/66 prices on 911's are insane - 912's are also on the rise.

With a grain of salt Magnus had said he expected 911 prices to triple in 2-3 yrs - he ain't going to be too far off.

I'll take my 65 production 912 as without the 912 the 911 may not have survived!

Re the green one - earlier the better I would say.

Also 'barn find' is becoming as fashionable as 'matching numbers' became a while back. As in 'oh, I bought a matching numbers barn find and restored it'

I blame all the resto shows on TV where a 'barn find' becomes a '100 point restoration' in three segments between ad-breaks. When barn finds involve any rusty, dusty car you know the term has jumped the shark.

it is after all a 1 year only 68 model - must be worth something. though been a 912 less interesting to the racer boys

It's in Athens Greece I'm sure will take less for cash.

Love the big wing on the back of a 912. 

Dave

Bugger it, I'm going to list my bare metal '66 912 on Ebay USA and ask $50k for it!

All I need to do is shove it in a 'barn', cover it with dust and take some pic's. Instant barn find! The seppo's will buy anything 'rare'  ;)

On a more serious note, I have had some pretty high offers on my car, including a swap for a 70's 911 recently which was very hard to knock back, so there's definately people out there that want them, no matter what condition theyre in.

That 911T sporto I posted in Spotted thread, I could have probably bought for $50-55k, and that was a very nicely restored car, not like the green thing here! Over 100k? Thats silly money, and there's no way they'd get that in Oz

The only problem with escalating prices for a seller I can see, is that it narrows the potential buyer market if you ask too much.

To those that have been around Porsche's for a while, would that bring the prices down again you think?

Archived