Interested in 944

Bus_Boy

Hey everyone, my name is Daniel, i am a new member and this is my first post.

I have been looking the used car market for quite a while, with the goal in mind of finding a daily driver that is both unuiqe, yet affordable, and also reliable. The next biggest catch is that it has to be P Plate friendly, so this of course rules out forced induction models.

With this in mind i have come across the 944.

However i am unable to find the individual performance specifications of each of the naturally aspirated versions. I have come across a lot of conflicting information on the internet. Is there a site available that contains accurate information, and if so can i please be linked to it.

Welcome Aboard Bus-Boy ( we've all been there! ;) )

Can't help you myself but given a couple of days either 9fan, or rEd, or similar torque tube fanatics should be able to help you out.

Look forward to seeing you out there in the posts!

Kerry

Hi Bus,

Welcome to the list. Mostly we are a very friendly bunch, especially after a second coffee.

These are great cars, a tad under powered, with great handling, braking and slick styling. The model has a long history of development right into the early '90 and there is much to read about this model so I will let you discover the rich community that supports these lovely cars.

Most all '44s will have a cracked dash unless they have not seen the light of day since new. I am told it is a bitch to replace, just buy a dash cover and it will go away unless you are very picky.

A pre-purchase inspection could save you from buying a dud. These cars are tough but they love to be caressed and serviced. (PFA members insert a pithy comment here...)

Budget on at least $3k as soon as you buy the car, the seller should support the sale with adequate documents. I say this because you need to be confident that your treasure is not going to "go bang". These cars are very reliable and can do high mileages with regular servicing.

- New tyres

- Replace Cam belt and rollers.

- Replace Cam tensioner pads and or assembly.

These last 2 items are a MUST DO as catastrophic engine failure may result and will cost you heaps and make life a misery.

There are many sources of info.

Start here.

www.944online.com/ - what Clark does not know about these cars is not worth knowing.

www.944online.com/

www.pelicanparts.com/

Join www.rennlist.com/

Of all 944s, my favourites are the S2, the Turbo and 968 which was the last of a great line..

Good luck - "buy the best you can afford".

rEd

Thanks for the replies so far guys, and the warm welcome.

Also thank you for the links, i will spend some time going over them today, i'm sure they will make for a good bit of reading.

As far as buying the best i can afford, i think at this point in time my budget limit's me to a 2.5. It would be a manual, i have seen some auto's in rare cases, but they are of no interest to me.

I do like the S2, but budget wise it is out of my reach, unless it was a high mileage vehicle.

I thought i might aswell add that i am also very interested in Mazda MX-5's. However as they are still a 90's onward vehicle i don't think they have lost enough re-sale value yet to become a true performance bargain.

I'm not overly concerned about power, if i did decide upon any future modifications they would most likely be limited to suspension and brakes, i'm not a fan of taking anything too far away from it's original form.

Anyways, keep your eye out guy's you might be seeing a new 944 owner amongst the forums.

There is a black 944 with spare engine etc on the Porsche Club Victoria site for $12500 low mileage too. In Marketplace, cars. Worth a look. The Healey Factory also have them on a regular basis.

And I'm 5'4" and the MX5 is too clostraphobic for me, 944 has much more room and is more practical. So if you're tall the MX5 may be too small for you.

Good Luck

Paul M

Welcome to the world of 944! Also check under the battery for rust and holes as this is right over the DME computer brain and can be a costly repair if it has to be replaced! Also check under the carpet where your backseat passenger's feet would be,any signs of rust here will tell you that the car had some type of water leak or may have been sitting for a long period of time.

Good luck!! And if you have any questions drop me an e-mail!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Daniel,

Welcome to the forum.I see your in Cairns so that may make it more difficult for your purchase.Yes,if you go for a 944 over an MX5 you will get hooked on Porsche. My first SC was a 944,then I got an S2 but when I proposed to give it to my son the Insurance Companies said No but a WRX was OK ? May be different in QLD.My 944 had done 190K when I last saw it advertised with no major work needed.I have always preferred a coupe because of weather protection for both driver and interior plus security when parked.

The MX5 may be a good alternative for Cairns, although underpowered in comparison but you just have to way up the costs and availability.

Networking with Porsche people is a good way to find a car.

Good luck with your decision.

Cheers,9fan.

• 1 month later...

Hi All, rather than making a new thread...

Im also thinking about a 944 (either Turbo or S2). Ive noticed a few UK imports on the market - is there anything I should know about UK imports? They seem to be priced the same as AUS delivered vehicles. Would an AUS delivered 944 be a preferable choice? If so, for what reasons? Cheers

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The thing to be careful about in regards to UK imports, in fact any imports from EU or US is having been driven in areas where roads have been sprayed with salt and chemicals due to ice. This can cause rust and corosion issues.

Have a look at some of the club sites as cars do come up for sale. Start with www.pcv.com.au and from there, links to the other state clubs are available.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Cheers

Chris

Im aware of the general issues regarding imports. I was after more Porsche specific issues, if any.

Thanks for the link to www.pcv.com.au, Ive been there for a look before, but wasnt aware of the links to other clubs, cheers :)

It is always best to talk to local Porsche Club or Dealer even if not buying a new one.

Local club is porscheclubtasmania.org.au. Good value S2 or turbo's available in vic on carsales.

My personal preference is S2 for lower Torque range and just as Quick also less maintainence.

Cheers, 9fan.

After the Sunday targa my son Sam would like an entry into the world of Porsche, and has been eyeing ( is that a word) off a 944. bit worried about the cracking dash, just a pain no doubt to remove and get refurbished, and I am now seeing items of rust behind back seats and battery boxes. any other large $$ cost items to be wary of. the car we have a bit of an interest in is an 84 model with service history BUT the insurance company will only insure for about $7k as that's what they declare the value at. I just dont want to spend a fortune on a car, I do want quite cheap, but good condition, but again I dont want to spend even more just to insure for a few more K, in fact my son will pay that, so the point of this post is what is a 944 true value.

Trev

• 1 month later...

Hi Trev, 7K is a bit high for an 84 model, more around $3500 unless it is in mint condition or has a lot of mods done to it!Also try to find out when the water pump, belts and rollers were last done.This can be a high priced fix as well!!

G'Day Trev,

The only value you can really go by is market research on carsales etc i.e. what people are willing to sell at and condition of the car.(I think 944online is talking US cars/US $).

Model Year 85.5 on has rounded dash which looks nicer and probably better condition.

With insurance you just have to shop to get best deal using bargaining - don't always accept first offer !(same with buying)

Suggest a dash carpet until you get hold of replacement, refitting is not too difficult.Power steering is a good option or can be fitted.

Cheers, Mark.

G'Day Trev,

The only value you can really go by is market research on carsales etc i.e. what people are willing to sell at and condition of the car.(I think 944online is talking US cars/US $).

Hopefully i'm not breaking any forum rules by posting this, but saw this on carsales this morning (thank you auto alert!! )

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=10125990&__Qpb=true&Cr=0&__Ns=pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|0||pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&keywords=&__N=1216%201246%201247%201252%201282%204294963765%204294963709%20408&silo=1011&PriceTo=408&seot=1&tsrc=allcarhome&__Nne=15&trecs=6&__sid=128A720B9C6F

bout the cheapest non-ebay 944 i have seen since i started looking start of the year...

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum.

My name is Jake, I'm from brissy and currently researching the 944 as this is

the next car I want to buy as soon as I get my opens (September 2012).

I'm waiting till next year as I want the turbo, and thanks to QLD

state law I can not drive a turbo vehicle unless its deisel powered :(

So until then I am researching the 944 so that I am as prepared as I can be

when I am finally able to purchase and drive my 944 :)

My biggest concern is insurance, mainly due to my age and the type of car, any ideas on

how much i'm going to be looking at for insurance and who would you guys

recommend to go with for my insurance??

Next question, I have read many reviews on the car, and most of them seem to

repeat that the car is very reliable with services and general maintainence completed

at the recommended kilometre landmarks and time frames.

So I guess, how regular do specific things need to be done and if there is anything

that needs to be done every couple of months or anything like that??

Final question for the time being, for the turbo (preferably '87 onwards) how much would

I be looking at spending to buy one??

Thanks guys.

Hi Bus-Boy,

Will attempt an answer the turbo 944 part of the question first. These are great cars and were quicker than a 911 of the same era. Given the age of the model and the complexity of the under-bonnet stuff any repairs are usually costly. The turbo contributes to the under-bonnet heat buildup and this will have an adverse effect on all the plastics, rubber, vacuum lines etc. A turbo can be a money pit.

I have heard of 944s doing 400,000+ kms, regular oil/filter changes add to a car's health. Given the age of these cars now it is usually the trim and body that deteriorates. A cracked dash is almost compulsory, easily masked by an aftermarket dash mat, the centre console will be tatty, seats and carpets as well.

See http://www.clarks-garage.com/ - "the" 944 resource.

As with all the '44s replacing the cambelts is critical, my last bill was about $1200. I believe you only need to do that every 40,000 km. The bodies are strong, have been galvanised so the threat of rust is minimised but not totally got rid of - depends where the car lived and how it was garaged.

Insurance is always an issue even for us old blokes. I budget for about $500-800 pa with a higher excess to reduce the premium. Consider this :- if you pay $5-8k for a reasonable N/A 944, one option is to take out third party only cover. This way, you are insured against any damage caused by you to that $200, 000 997 parked next door but will not be covered for any damage to your car. My bet that insurance will cost you at least $1000 and that does not make sense to insure an $8000 car.

Good luck

rEd

• 4 weeks later...

944 S2,

To those looking for a Coupe I know of one that has just been advertised on Carsales.

I know the (VIC) owner of this Red one and he has added good bits and maintained it well.

Cheers, 9fan.

944 S2,

To those looking for a Coupe I know of one that has just been advertised on Carsales.

I know the (VIC) owner of this Red one and he has added good bits and maintained it well.

Cheers, 9fan.

Thanks 9fan,

I'm definitely still chasing an S2 coupe. I had concerns with the mods to that particular Red Victorian car( the short shift, adjustable bar,yellow straight wheel indicator on the steering wheel) that it may have been driven pretty hard? I'd be keen to hear more about the car if that's not the case and if it has been looked after I might give him a call.

Cheers,

Mark

• 3 years later...

Hey all

Looking at POSSIBLY buying an 85 944 thats on Gumtree here in SA.

I cant post a link as I'm on my phone at the moment.

It's a white one at $8000 'must sell' yet I know what he paid for it last year (quite a bit cheaper!) and thought I'd have a crack at it.

I have seen it up close, and it looks really good, yet not as a potential buyer.

What should I look at that are the main problem areas for a 944? Any tell tale signs that would scare you off?

I've been wanting a 44 for years, and my offer would be much lower than the asking price, so I'm not really bothered if I dont get it, yet It's been knawing at me since he's had it for sale

Cheers

Hey all

Looking at POSSIBLY buying an 85 944 thats on Gumtree here in SA.

I cant post a link as I'm on my phone at the moment.

It's a white one at $8000 'must sell' yet I know what he paid for it last year (quite a bit cheaper!) and thought I'd have a crack at it.

I have seen it up close, and it looks really good, yet not as a potential buyer.

What should I look at that are the main problem areas for a 944? Any tell tale signs that would scare you off?

I've been wanting a 44 for years, and my offer would be much lower than the asking price, so I'm not really bothered if I dont get it, yet It's been knawing at me since he's had it for sale

Cheers

something wrong with your phone?

Price up timing belt , water pump and roller change and maybe seals whilst you're in there.

That's the main drag on funds as it has to be done every few years.

Oh & the clutch job is a major expense/pain too. Mostly labour as you have to drop trans and torque tube to get at it.

The rest is the same as for any car.

It's always the deferred maintenance that will bite.

That said , I drove my baboon-arsed red 944 in today and loved every minute of it.  :)

Archived