Porsche four-cylinder ‘boxer’ engine confirmed

Jimmy

Happy my garage is full of Mezgers, and while I'm always interested in what Porsche are up to, my interest in a new 4 cylinder 911 is les than zero. Mind you, if it could be reverse engineered into a 356 that might be fun.

• 2 weeks later...

My $0.05...

The 911 is all about a six cylinder engine slung behind the wheels. Porsche have thoroughly established themselves as a manufacturer of all manner of cars. SUV's...gentlemen's expresses...two seater sports cars, super cars...and the 911. And surely one of the core attributes of a 911, if not the core attribute is that it is a rear engined car powered by a flat 6.

Which makes me less than convinced that Porsche would use a 911 as the mule for their proposed 4-banger. I'd expect them to drop a four-banger into a Cayman or a Boxster, which is where it is much more likely to be employed. Using a 4-banger in a rear engined configuration would involve solving engineering issues that I can't see Porsche using in a production vehicle.

Here's my wild card suggestion based on absolutely nothing at all...we're looking at a prototype of the 991 GT2 that Porsche have said they prolly won't build.

There was big talk of a sub-boxster concept last year that was shelved. By introducing 4 cyl into the Boxster body they can create more segments to bring lesser budgets to the brand.

Hello VW marketing.

Archived