Porsche four-cylinder ‘boxer’ engine confirmed

Jimmy

Only orange juice and milk come in 2 litres hey?

I heard that today!

Muller indicated to the magazine the engine, expected to be turbocharged at least for higher-output versions, could produce as much as “400ps” (295kW).

:D

I love the sound of our cars Pauly but am worried this new power plant is going to sound like a Subaru motor. That subaru sound is very distinctive and the idea of hearing it come from a Porsche is a little disconcerting but I guess we will have to wait and see

Cool link though and it seems like history repeating itself with Porsche having to artificially intervene to separate non 911s from getting to close to the star of the show ;)

I love the sound of our cars Pauly but am worried this new power plant is going to sound like a Subaru motor. That subaru sound is very distinctive and the idea of hearing it come from a Porsche is a little disconcerting but I guess we will have to wait and see

Cool link though and it seems like history repeating itself with Porsche having to artificially intervene to separate non 911s from getting to close to the star of the show ;)

Our cars do have a nice sound! I like to sit at 4k. That is my favourite note. But I'm not sure if you can get a 4 cyl to sound like a boxer 6. 

I'm sure the'd manage a nice note though.

Note that the e46 330i sounds like junk compared to the e46 m3 and both inline 6. 

There is hope! & with the technology these days. a turbocharged 2L boxer 4 should get some nice numbers  ^_^  ^_^

Build it and they will come

I doubt Porsche will release a sub standard car and history shows that some ppl will pay 100K for a 4 cylinder as long as it has the right badge on it and it is a hell of a car. If it isnt all it should be it may help prop up the prices of the last (current) 6 cylinder Caymans and Boxsters which by all accounts are a hell of car

Will the buyer want to pay over $100k for a 4cyl? 

Assuming the price doesn't change that is.

being eco friendly is trendy these days. plus with the badge and power figure (the two biggest items in your average dick swinging contest) i think it will do fine!

for the engine note, just the change from unequal length extractors to equal length makes a big difference in subarus.. porsche will make theirs sound distinctive without much trouble.

Hey! Maybe it is a Subaru motor.

At least they wont have any major issues.

Hallelujah. The road to greatness is paved with broken dreams.

Only orange juice and milk come in 2 litres hey?

I heard that today!

:D

Also the 356 Carrera (which was also a 4-banger), the original Porsche 911...

This Ferrari (although it does have 12 cylinders)...

I'm sure there are plenty other 2 litre cars that any petrol head would be only too pleased to own.

No replacement for displacement?  

Well, if you want to choose cars based on "Top Trumps" statistics, there's this beauty, which came with two doors and either a 3.8 litre straight 6 or a 5.0 litre V8.

B)

Hey! Maybe it is a Subaru motor.

At least they wont have any major issues.

Hallelujah. The road to greatness is paved with broken dreams.

Only if you saw what happened to my mates gt86 motor.. 

they have bottom end bearing issues.

At the end of the day they need to sacrifice some products in order to be able to maintain CO2 emissions mix for the company. They will get credits for the 4cylinder turbos to be able to do 6/V8/V10 in the VW group. But I think we are nuts to believe that Porsche wont go for small displacement 6 cylinder turbos for the 911 range. Euro emissions will force them down this path whether we like it or not and we can kick and scream as much as we like.

Archived