PP Postage to Australia

webrest

As a follow up to the group buy of the lash tool as a result of too expensive individual delivery charges from PP I thought I might run a little experiment as just how ludicrous the postage can be.

I added 2 x .25C washer to my Cart to see what the postage would be.

Lo and behold look at the result in the screen shot below

I think this pretty much proves conclusively that there is no flexibility in their system without going to extreme lengths to obtain a more realistic approach to their shipping costs.

I recently bought a small part from the States that I looked at purchasing from PP but they wanted nearly $50 to post  and weren't interested in dropping the amount whereas I bought the same item from another US supplier with $12.50 postage. So shop around

It is made even more frustrating when US buyers often receive free postage from PP for the same item

PPStupidity.jpg

I agree Dave, the PP system very much orientated around their home market but at least we now know they are approachable and do have human element.

I have found it to be best practice to contact any sellers overseas sellers directly regarding postage over what their web page says, in most cases I have received a better outcome.

State based buying groups or even a few individuals that agreed to let each other know " Hey I'm putting in an order next week you need anything"  would be a great help when you only need a few small items.

Of course the local sellers are missing out on potential sales, maybe they should look to offering incentives to encourage us to buy in Oz?

This debate will continue i'm sure……

You guys should try speaking to the local guys. I've bought items from Autohaus Hamiltons cheaper than I can get it from OS and it was delivered to Melbourne next day with a Freddo Frog. I'm sure there's plenty of things they don't have but it's worth at least giving them a shot first before sending your money overseas.

You guys should try speaking to the local guys. I've bought items from Autohaus Hamiltons cheaper than I can get it from OS and it was delivered to Melbourne next day with a Freddo Frog. I'm sure there's plenty of things they don't have but it's worth at least giving them a shot first before sending your money overseas.

I usually do and will continue to do so but so far my money keeps going overseas. Understandably the local suppliers are selling lower volumes and can't be as competitive, and possibly there is no need or desire for them to be.

The Freddo is a tempter though:)

+1 ... recently picked up a set of leads and filter off James and the saving for me to buy direct from PP would have been negligble.. so have a chat with your local supplier and see what they can do for you before exploring other options i say...

I was more frustrated by their credit card "Security system"

"Please email or FAX us a copy of your drivers license and credit card".

WTF?

When I told them that was wildly insecure I was told it was "for my protection"

funny-real-life-LOL-face-little-girl.jpg

I was more frustrated by their credit card "Security system"

"Please email or FAX us a copy of your drivers license and credit card".

WTF?

When I told them that was wildly insecure I was told it was "for my protection"

funny-real-life-LOL-face-little-girl.jpg

you can pay PP with PayPal, 

I usually do and will continue to do so but so far my money keeps going overseas. Understandably the local suppliers are selling lower volumes and can't be as competitive, and possibly there is no need or desire for them to be.

The Freddo is a tempter though:)

+1

+100%!

Before I discovered James at AH I was sourcing most things from OS. My experience is that on balance AH parts are at worst marginally dearer and mostly on par with OS prices (quite often cheaper too) That excludes freight/postal charges. That makes it a no brainier. The clear point of difference is the relationship you build with a local contact. There hard earned advice is given freely. I will only buy OS again if it can't be sourced at AH or another local supplier. Oh yeah, love Freddo's....

I'd be all for supporting local business if it was a similar cost

But I also don't to waste their time by asking

Where is the unlike button? Perhaps I have read/taken your post the wrong way. On the surface it is at best smart arsed.

My apologies in advance if you were not suggesting it was not even worth your time attempting to support an Australian business.

I think you misunderstood my post.

I'm happy to support Australian business, and I normally do with other things apart from Porsche parts

I've approached local business for parts on three different occasions now and each time they haven't been even close on price, so next time I don't want to take up their time getting quotes for parts that I'm not going to buy....

I have this problem. Not just for Porsche parts. I wonder if the businesses I call get annoyed that I regularly get quotes then don't buy. Theres often so many layers of mark-up its crazy.

Though, I haven't had that experience with AH yet.

I think you misunderstood my post.

I'm happy to support Australian business, and I normally do with other things apart from Porsche parts

I've approached local business for parts on three different occasions now and each time they haven't been even close on price, so next time I don't want to take up their time getting quotes for parts that I'm not going to buy....

I ring AH and talk to James.  When you include postage, most times the price is within cooee of the OS item.

The advantages of buying local are:

1. that you get that Caramello Bear.  Thats incentive on its own.

I have received a packet of jelly bears when I bought some mirrors from Germany as well.

2. the item usually arrives within a couple of days (to country NSW)

3. any problem, just pick up the phone and sort it out, get a replacement within a couple of days.

Back on topic, if I slipped off, there was a survey a couple of years ago on PP about the postage cost from PP and a lot of complaints about the costs from OS customers.

Archived