Oil Unification List Thread

I'm loving these oil threads as I've finally developed an interest that doesn't cost anything and keeps me amused for hours!

Thanks for posting 911O'clock.

Just a note: Beware that the comments they made about valve train wear in the GM V6 has limited application for us as they use a roller cam follower rather than a plain sliding follower that our cars use. Roller followers were introduced as a practical means of dealing with the reduction of Phosphorus and therefore ZDDP in engine oil and the faster opening and closing ramps that these followers permitted also allowed overlap to be reduced for emission improvements while maintaining peak power levels.

I agree with Tit, why use a thick viscosity oil when we don't need to particularly when there is plenty of choice around. ie If you use Penrite HPE30, why not use say Mobil 1 Vee Twin 20w-50 that gives similar +20 cSt hot viscosities and ZDDP characteristics but is around 25% thinner when it's cold.

No, the V6 example doesn't address flat tappet valve train wear, only piston ring/cylinder wear. Good info all the same.

From my reading, "race" type oils which have high zddp levels (probably to help freshly built engines) should only be used for a short time then changed.

Multi grade oil with a moderate zddp content (1200-1600 ppm) with a suitable viscosity range is better for most of our air cooled cars.

Porsche suggests 10W60 for 3.0 and later engines. 5 to 10W is necessary in the northern hemisphere where -20deg C is common in winter. Oz climate rarely gets below zero so a low W oil will already be a bit thicker at ambient temp.

Synthetic or mineral seems of little consequence. It only really matters with old style petroleum based plastic seals where synthetic oil might not be suitable. Most "synthetic" oils are actually a blend of synth and mineral anyway.

In a nutshell, oil viscosity of 10-20w 50-60 hot with adequate zddp should do it. Pick your favorite brand/colour, change it regularly and just drive the bloody thing. :)

Many thanks to Prof. Google for my limited education on oils. Please refer any queries to him.

i hate talking about oil. It's a topic that's been bashed so many times on many forums. 

On a 944 series car, 20 w50 is what you want. with the extra ZDDP. :)

Cannot comment on the flat 6 aircooled. I believe it should be similar or the same as the 20 w50 was the "it" oil in it's days

Checked some more replies here - and I concur with Harv's latest comment...in fact a dark home brew is currently warming the cockles on a clear chilly night in Tas. 

As the factory manual states , 20W-50 is good for minus 10. Which is OK for anywhere in Tassy , apart from Liawenee.

I haven't ever heard/read a bad thing about Penrite , which tells me something. Given my high volume consumption I really must try and buy the 20L containers.

Checked some more replies here - and I concur with Harv's latest comment...in fact a dark home brew is currently warming the cockles on a clear chilly night in Tas. 

As the factory manual states , 20W-50 is good for minus 10. Which is OK for anywhere in Tassy , apart from Liawenee.

I haven't ever heard/read a bad thing about Penrite , which tells me something. Given my high volume consumption I really must try and buy the 20L containers.

Penrite keep changing their oils!

I went from their HPR30 range semi synthetic 20 w50+10 (in their + range) with the extra ZDDP to a fully synthetic 20 w50+10

I'm not sure why they changed it, but works for me as its a fresh rebuild.

I probably will buy a 20L next time

So has anybody tried that Porsche Classic motor oil which has recently come out? I don't plan on feeding it to my car on a regular basis, but would like to buy it at least once just for the cool can!

Also, for what it's worth, I'm using a brand of oil called Liqui-Moly, as recommended by my mechanic. Not much to say, runs great, runs slightly cooler than the Penrite i was using before. A German oil for a German car.

So has anybody tried that Porsche Classic motor oil which has recently come out? I don't plan on feeding it to my car on a regular basis, but would like to buy it at least once just for the cool can!

I want the can!!

The one with the Porsche tax?

I'll stick with me old Penrite.

Now , I reckon Penrite should make a cool can. 

Tazzie - oil is to go with the genuine Porsche tyre air I purchased, made in Germany and tyres are way harder than with Aussie air (something to do with atmospherics), wheels are lighter now too :)

Tazzie - oil is to go with the genuine Porsche tyre air I purchased, made in Germany and tyres are way harder than with Aussie air (something to do with atmospherics), wheels are lighter now too :)

I am happy to fill a few cylinders for mainlanders ,  just pay the postage the air is free and your tyres will last longer .

Archived