Thought I'd introduce you to my MINI

I've read about your car is "it puts a small on your face"

end of story

54_002.gif

Yikes....It puts a  SMALL what..... on your face???????????

• 8 months later...

These might be a cheap car to buy nowadays, but thats where the word 'cheap' ends!

New OEM Clutch kit and aftermarket flywheel installed cost $2800 and that was a special deal by BMW MINI Garage. It's usually closer to $4000.

The power steering pumps on these are known to fail, $800 for the pump, then installation.. plus you'll probably need to do the fan as well as it's usually cause of the pump failure $400 odd.  Then there's the 3 lines that come from the PS Pump.. 2 of them have hydraulic fittings and therefore OEM is recommended.. another $1000 for that.

Also the water cooling parts are mostly plastic..  need replacing every few years. Mine have has had that done twice at a cost of $600 each time.

As expensive as a Porsche :unsure:   but it is a fun car to drive. 

Using an independent mechanic over BMW is highly recommended. They just replace things instead of diagnosing and repairing. Can be an expensive exercise in ineptitude for the owner.

These might be a cheap car to buy nowadays, but thats where the word 'cheap' ends!

New OEM Clutch kit and aftermarket flywheel installed cost $2800 and that was a special deal by BMW MINI Garage. It's usually closer to $4000.

The power steering pumps on these are known to fail, $800 for the pump, then installation.. plus you'll probably need to do the fan as well as it's usually cause of the pump failure $400 odd.  Then there's the 3 lines that come from the PS Pump.. 2 of them have hydraulic fittings and therefore OEM is recommended.. another $1000 for that.

Also the water cooling parts are mostly plastic..  need replacing every few years. Mine have has had that done twice at a cost of $600 each time.

As expensive as a Porsche :unsure:   but it is a fun car to drive. 

Horrific! Seems to be a familiar story from many modern manufacturers . esp those from Germany.

Those $80 windscreen wiper blades for an X5  :wub:

I have no trouble justifying my classic daily driver hobby  ^_^

Yes its very easy to get in deep with one of these cars.

One of my partners colleagues bought her second MINI after she could no longer drive a manual due to a wrist problem.  She bought an Auto and the Auto stuffed up just months out of the warranty - $7000 thank you very much.  She's now sold it for a Subaru Outback and poured $$ down the drain in a vry short amount of time.

But many MINI owners get years of good service out of them.  It really can be a case of 'luck' sometimes.

Horrific! Seems to be a familiar story from many modern manufacturers . esp those from Germany.

Those $80 windscreen wiper blades for an X5  :wub:

I have no trouble justifying my classic daily driver hobby  ^_^

It's the German/eu recycling laws. They basically make it better to make lots of parts out of plastic.

The fact that it means two or three times the amount of parts have to be junked and replaced doesn't seem to enter the equation.

I bet a 928 radiator doesn't go unless neglected by owner or damaged. All bmw cars after mid 90s lose their radiator/expansion tank at some point. The failure rate is approx 100%, only the time varies.

It's depressing because the quality of the basic chassis and engines is good, and they'll last forever if looked after. But all those accessories - death by one thousand pieces of brittle plastic.

I bet a 928 radiator doesn't go unless neglected by owner or damaged. All bmw cars after mid 90s lose their radiator/expansion tank at some point. The failure rate is approx 100%, only the time varies.

The trans and oil cooling tanks on either end are prone to leakage after 25+ years  :wub: That can be quite bad...

But like me you can get around this with a separate trans cooler and oil bypass loop - plus a much cheaper rad!

Or if clever , you can disassemble and fix the original one , yes they are strong if you keep up with coolant changes.

today I washed my MINI, and was just crusing around in it.  Roof open, window down and Duran Duran blaring out of my Harmon Kardon system.. good times  :wub::wacko:

and one day I will subject my '80s nostalgic tunes in a retro Targa!  And I might get a perm and a parachute tracksuit too - yeh!

FD2D09BA-A027-4281-B877-0EC103236E40_zps

beep beep!

little kids point at the smiley face :)

BBB8AD82-C5A2-4D9A-A78E-A57E3EC5B907_zps

I know I was quite sad you decided to give up the 987, as you put so much effort into buying it, but probably not as sad as you were having to make that descision. I am just glad you found this little bundle of joy to tide you over to till next Pcar. The fact its the supercharged Cooper S version is the saving grace(for me) as otherwise it would have been just a car, and lifes too short for just cars. V cool

Nice!!  :D  :D

Are you still running run-flat tyres on it??

If so, get rid of them, makes a world of difference.

It had fairly new run flats on it when I bought it. So they can stay until they wear out.  I'm not into spending $$ I don't have to at this point. Although, a softer ride would be appreciated :P

I know I was quite sad you decided to give up the 987, as you put so much effort into buying it, but probably not as sad as you were having to make that descision. I am just glad you found this little bundle of joy to tide you over to till next Pcar. The fact its the supercharged Cooper S version is the saving grace(for me) as otherwise it would have been just a car, and lifes too short for just cars. V cool

Oh I've never sold a car that hurt as much as that 987.  I think some of it was due to a bit of self talk as well - I felt like poor decisions previously meant that I had to part with something I loved so much, so I was pretty down on myself.  But that's all in the past now.

I agree totally about 'just cars' I'm not that kinda person. I have to have car with some sort of spunk or I get bored. In an ideal world, I'd have just a car for the shops and a P car for fun.  One day!

Archived