Thought I'd introduce you to my MINI

I've had a few people message me to say how much they like the MINI Coopers, so I thought I'd introduce mine for anyone that is curious or even just so you can sticky beak!

On May 10th it would have been a year since I had that magic day of bringing the 987 home.  I don't think I'll ever forget that day - the flight was on time, the train to meet the seller easy to find, the seller was lovely (and even handsome if I do say so) the car was everything I hoped it would be and the drive home was SPLENDED.. the sun shone all day, was no wind and the car was so incredibly comfortable to drive the 10 hours back.  I think about this day often and I really hope I'll get to do it again in a few years time in another Porsche!

In the meantime tho - this little car is ACE!

He's tough,nimble, cute.. fast enough, he has personaility and he makes me smile. He's a pain in the butt to wash tho (lots of little hidey spots for dirt) but I'm content and happy for now.  I didn't think I would be with any car BUT the 987.. but alas, I am :)  I adjusted my mindset and realised that it wasn't the time for me to be self indulgent.

So here's my 2005 R53 Supercharged MINI Cooper S

14168345883_0d2ec2764b_c.jpgP5100119 by mmanda withers, on Flickr

He's a one owner and it shows in how the car was cared for.. I have only washed it in the time i've had it.. the paint glistens, minimum swirls and has plenty of paint protector on it

13961620919_1a54d02111_c.jpgP5100117 by mmanda withers, on Flickr

13961653948_f4416369a8_c.jpgP5100123 by mmanda withers, on Flickr

This was the color combo of the MINI I always loved, I used to lust after them when they were first on the road. Even test drove quite a few but never pulled the trigger. Like the IMS issue, these little cars can get a bad rap in forums - but with research and speaking to actual owners, you soon realise that they aren't what they seem ie not a lemon!

13961653620_915cd1c616_c.jpgP5100125 by mmanda withers, on Flickr

14148462754_527d537190_c.jpgP5100128 by mmanda withers, on Flickr

Astro Boy has been in this spot in every hatch I've owned for years - so I got him out again :)  I think he looks good in the MINI

13961654800_82211288ab_c.jpgP5100129 by mmanda withers, on Flickr

14145426582_61f4cb97e0_c.jpgP5100131 by mmanda withers, on Flickr

So thats what you can get for $12,500 these days - not bad eh?

I'll update this with a vid in a week or so, so you can hear the exhaust and note of the supercharger.

Hope my long post hasn't bored you all!

How do you compare them? That's a hard one. They are such different types of car.

Both cars share that nice strong Euro build quality. Doors close solidly. The MINI feels strong for a small car. The Porsche the same obviously.

Interior finishes on both cars are really good quality.

The MINI is FUN. The 987 felt like a serious drivers sports car. I think the 987 would eat the MINI in corners. It has this stability and reassurance in corners that I don't feel in the MINI - prob because I'm not familiar enough with it.

And you can't beat the sound of a Porsche. That's the part that grabbed me most about that 987.

The best part is I'm not sacred to park it in places. Second day I owned it I drove it to work and left it in a city car park. Didn't think twice. Went mushrooming, down dirt roads etc didn't think twice about it!

Wouldn't have considered either in the Porsche.

Tit - re mods. Yeh I'll do that.  But in the meantime I wouldn't be surprised if I need the power steering attended to. It's very noisy on full turns. Is that normal?  The pillars are rattling in the base of the cupholders too, its one of those IF THIS DOESNT STOP I'M GONNA DRIVE THIS CAR INTO A TREE  type of rattle. So need to sort that out in next week or so.

Clutch - Oh cool.  I highly recommend it,  its a nice little car. 

Doug - It's a 2005

Yes. All R53s have noisy power steering. Lots of whiiiiinnnneeeeeee....

As for the rattles. Yes. Get out lots of felt with sticky back and go jam it all around the dash and down pillars etc.

On the down tubes near the cup holders, they are screwed in. You have to pull out the whole centre console to get them out. Of you do hit it all with lots of felt where things rub.

Welcome to first gen MINIs!!! :P

Nice MINI Amanda! Blue cars are always a standout. You will have lots of fun without the worry!

I don't reckon that shape will age either. hard to see where they can take the design and remain MINI :)

Unlike the newer VW Beetles , much better than the first gen recreation.

Yes. All R53s have noisy power steering. Lots of whiiiiinnnneeeeeee....

As for the rattles. Yes. Get out lots of felt with sticky back and go jam it all around the dash and down pillars etc.

On the down tubes near the cup holders, they are screwed in. You have to pull out the whole centre console to get them out. Of you do hit it all with lots of felt where things rub.

Welcome to first gen MINIs!!! :P

Ah ok. So it's normal :)

Yep will do. I'm going to get an iPod kit prob dension - so will attack rattles at same time.

Nice MINI Amanda! Blue cars are always a standout. You will have lots of fun without the worry!

I don't reckon that shape will age either. hard to see where they can take the design and remain MINI :)

Unlike the newer VW Beetles , much better than the first gen recreation.

The latest Beetle looks wonderful, has the character the first recreation missed. I don't want one tho.

Love the blue. Haven't had a blue car in a long time - so nice that this car is different to all the ones before it :P

Looks sensational A, I know that has gone to a good home.

Looking forward to a test drive, last mini I drove was back in 1975 and it was a panelvan. And that was fun way back then.

bought the rims and tires from the UK

5 days from mouse click to ding dong on the front door and the whole tyre and mag wheel package cost me $200 more than just the tyres in OZ

It was a huge amount of fun and I'm glad to have the memories but i have most certainly moved on...   

i like brakes that work, aircon and several million less rattles   B)

Is that bad?

bought the rims and tires from the UK

5 days from mouse click to ding dong on the front door and the whole tyre and mag wheel package cost me $200 more than just the tyres in OZ

It was a huge amount of fun and I'm glad to have the memories but i have most certainly moved on...   

i like brakes that work, aircon and several million less rattles   B)

Is that bad?

Noooooooooooo not at all!  The 987 is a fine fine fine machine.  I might have gone back a step with rattles I think  :P  :)  :)

not at all, the new Mini is a great car.  

I was lucky enough to have the loan of a 2012 Cooper S for a weekend and i have to say it was a fantastic little car!

and the most important thing I've read about your car is "it puts a smile on your face"

end of story

Archived